Time extender : Overpowered ?

DeathpactDeathpact Member Posts: 29
I don't remember the name of that game that introduced time extension in a shooter. It was a great idea.
And even if it doesn't feel as great in everspace as it did in that game (jumping to the side wile shooting three headshots)
It is still quite enjoyable. But it feels so strong, I think if i had only one slot, maybe that is the one device i would go for (well to be honest, i would maybe go for shield but anyway)
I am positive the game would feel much harder without it but maybe also more rewarding.
Aiming and dodging with time almost stopped feels trivial and yet, when you have 10 + fighters / drones shooting at you, it feels necessary.

And i don't think it is a good thing. I mean i spend more than 50% of my fights in slow motion... I think the game needs to feel fast paced most of the time to get the adrenaline rushing. So even if i enjoy slow motion at time i think it should take another place in the game.

Maybe some ships could have a weak spot (like the headshot) and maybe some weapons could have a zoom and you could shoot the pilot dead for instance) but that would be near impossible at full speed and the device could provide the time slow to pull it off but still with a little skill/ aim required.

In short i think the device needs to last quite a lot less time and have a longer cooldown too. But also have some bigger rewards. Making it important to decide when to use it. Or maybe it could be a consumable that needs rare components to craft...

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,102
    Maybe the Time Extender needs to be made into a consumable?
  • DeathpactDeathpact Member Posts: 29
    Maybe you read the last sentence of my wall of text ;)
    edited April 2017
    I can assure you, I read your entire post.

EDIT: Oh. HA! I see now. I'm going to blame being tired for my lack of awareness there, sorry about that!

I forgot to mention that the team is aware of the overpowered nature of the Time Extender and I can assure you it will be revisited, likely in the next (upcoming!) patch.
    Hehe don't worry, i was just teasing you. I truly appreciate your dedication to this forum !
    Upcoming you say ?!!
    edited April 2017
    Wow Great ! Any idea about how soon is soon ?
    edited April 2017
    Based on previous update patterns, it's actually really hard to tell. At first, it seemed like it was about an update every month or so, but then there was syncing up both PC users and XBox users to the same update cycle.

If all goes well through approvals, I think it's possible to see this in a week or two. At worst, it may be the beginning of next month. Still, because it's Early Access and needs to go through approvals, it could vary beyond these estimations (either earlier or later).
    well i guess if they advertise it on steam it can't be too long either...
  • Mr. MagniloquentMr. Magniloquent Member Posts: 20
    If you get the Time Extender v3 fully upgraded with max cool down reduction...maybe then it can be a bit cheesy. Overall though, I don't feel that it's overpowered. Just because something works well, or delivers the intended advantage does not mean it needs nerfed. This is especially true in light that the resources required to create and or upgrade this item incurs extensive opportunity cost for other weapons/devices.
    edited April 2017

Just because something works well, or delivers the intended advantage does not mean it needs nerfed. This is especially true in light that the resources required to create and or upgrade this item incurs extensive opportunity cost for other weapons/devices.

Great points, @Mr. Magniloquent . Furthermore, it is a single-player experience so the balance does not offset an advantage/disadvantage from one player to the next (as it is an equal playing field).

Though, I don't think a single Device in the game should elevate a player from a decent run to a near-guaranteed run and that's what it feels like it's done for me, at least. If it were a consumable and single-use, I think it would fit into the game perfectly (with some tweaks regarding duration and cost for this change, of course).

To my understanding, the duration and/or cooldown are being adjusted a little bit for the next patch. Since it's right around the corner, we'll be able to see if this was a good change, or a bad one. I implore you to return to the forums after this patch so we can continue the discussion!

Thank you all for your feedback.