Colonial Warships, and the guns they use.

troopitroopi Posts: 83Member
Hello again, Rockfish.
I finally figured out what was nagging in the back of my mind. The colonial warships seemed too over powerful. In easy mode, they could miss the shots, but in normal and hard, just putting our ship in the open would sign our doom, since the guns would hit and maul away at shields and hull. 2, 3 shots... 3 seconds and that was it. Game over. No matter the stunts, no matter the speed.
So I thought about it and figured what was wrong. I used the corvettes as reference. They fire multiples shots and a big energy ball. Those are projectiles with normal speed, that can be dodged.
The colonial warships could have something similar, instead of the insta-zap. The best one i imagined would be a rail gun shot with 1 second warning of laser sight. This way, the player could see the fire line 1 second before it happened, and could try to evade it. This, coupled with a barrage of standard fire (lasers, flak, missiles) would give the colonial warships a hardcore style (fire packed against bigger ships, but able to deal with small fighters), but without being such a death warrant.
Also, colonial warships should have a hangar to release fighters for extra trouble. (instead of the ever spawning interceptors)

Cheers.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited April 2017
    Hello @troopi , Colonial Warships are meant to be overpowered. They are based on a death timer mechanic for pilots who linger too long in any given area. They aren't meant to be challenged by the player; they are meant to be ran from.

The best way to avoid Warships is to leave once your position has been tracked by the Okkar Forces (Okkar Forces Inbound begins flashing on the screen), as this is a strong indicator of the fleet's fast approaching Warships.

In the current iteration of the game (v0.4), it is possible to contest these massive vessels with enough firepower, devices and consumables...but the ships are indestructible. There's a good chance this will change, though.
  • troopitroopi Posts: 83Member
    edited April 2017
    I wouldn't make them destructible. No sir, and I agree with them being the trigger to force the player to gtfoff that level. But still, there's a difference between a player strafing through obstacles like crazy to get a proper position to jump, and a player that simply dies when the warship arrives.
    I have managed to destroy a warship's turrets in easy mode (because they miss some times), and at that stage, the warship just stays there, with no enemies to deal with but okkar interceptors. This also should be avoidable, by adding more different weapons, specially big homing torpedoes.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited April 2017
    troopi said:

But still, there's a difference between a player strafing through obstacles like crazy to get a proper position to jump, and a player that simply dies when the warship arrives.

Of course. The player is risking their run by waiting for when the Warships arrive. It's not just skill surviving a Warship. Sometimes, it's pure luck. To avoid that risk, the player is given warnings BEFORE they show up. Sure, you might get a chance to throw some crazy maneuvers to survive, but you might not, either. That risk is on the player.
    troopi said:

I have managed to destroy a warship's turrets in easy mode (because they miss some times), and at that stage, the warship just stays there, with no enemies to deal with but okkar interceptors. This also should be avoidable, by adding more different weapons, specially big homing torpedoes.

I can see how disabling a Warship would be somewhat easy on Easy mode, but it's not so much on Hard unless you really know what you're doing with a specific setup in advance. Still, the reason Okkar forces continue to warp in is to counter-balance a player who manages to fully disable a Warship; with all those encroaching forces, the player will have to leave, even with the best setups imaginable.

But to your idea, I'm not sure if new weapons need to be added to the mix. If anything, I think the Warship that has been disabled should warp out, and a new Warship should warp in.
  • ForavenForaven Posts: 116Member
    edited April 2017

But to your idea, I'm not sure if new weapons need to be added to the mix. If anything, I think the Warship that has been disabled should warp out, and a new Warship should warp in.

This is similar to the Dafoe enemy, something you can defeat but not kill or gain any reward from.
  • troopitroopi Posts: 83Member
    I would rather prefer a warship that can't be defeated, but gives a slight chance of escape.
    Also, from a role playing point of view, a big ships that can pinpoint a fighter's position, even without line of sight, is too much unrealistic. They should enforce more the work of support attack ships, and heavy duty weapons (less precision and more destructive effect - explosions/ mayhem, you know... big ship things.)
    But hey... This opinion of mine, it's just a way of me saying thank you Rockfish for this wonderful game!

Cheers.