Vr support

ThebadmfThebadmf Posts: 9Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Booster
Hi guys nice forum. I'm a keen DK2 user with my CV1 due in April. Is VR support still in the cards and if so at which phase can we expect it? It really enhances elite:dangerous and would love to see a similar effect here.

Comments

• RaptorAlphaRaptorAlpha Posts: 67Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Pro
    They are going first-person, third-person, and VR. Don't know what phase though.
  • PrimusPrimus Posts: 2Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
    I have a CV1 on preorder as well. They have the Rift and Vive (misspelled Vice) listed as being supported here:

http://rockfishgames.com/games/
  • ThebadmfThebadmf Posts: 9Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Booster
    Yeah saw that. I'm hoping its in the alpha. I vaguely recall they didn't meet the stretch goal for HOTAS support but I hope they reconsider, it really makes a difference in immersion and fine control... Plus it makes me feel like a viper pilot!
  • AsmodaiAsmodai Posts: 17Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
    I backed this game for the DRM-free gog.com version however I'd just like to put out there that I'd gladly pay again for an additional PlayStation VR copy if such a beast were ever made.
  • DarkMatterMattDarkMatterMatt Posts: 15Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog
    Thebadmf said:

they didn't meet the stretch goal for HOTAS support but I hope they reconsider, it really makes a difference in immersion and fine control... Plus it makes me feel like a viper pilot!

HOTAS support would be cool, but how many of Everspace's players would have a HOTAS? They're quite expensive. Then again, so are VR Headsets... what was my point again?
  • ES_11672ES_11672 Posts: 2Common Backer
    Yea VR support would be cool, got a CV1 on the way. HOTAS would be nice too, but meh if I had pick between Hotas or VR I'd stick with VR.
  • edziebaedzieba Posts: 7Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    edited January 2016

As long as an analog throttle input on a controller is supported, manually configuring for a HOTAS setup is possible without much difficulty (most basic HOTAS setups come with some proprietary software for arbitrary mapping, or you can use a universal solution like vJoy that supports devices from multiple manufacturers).

However, it would be preferable to be able to configure controls within the game rather than mucking about with profiling software. There are three main things that would make this much easier if implemented in Everspace:
    - DirectInput support, not just Xinput.
    - Arbitrary controller remapping
    - Support for multiple input devices to be mapped at one time. This means you can mix-and-match devices from different manufacturers (e.g. TM Warthog stick plus CH Pro Thottle), AND it means you do not get hit with device enumeration order issues, like only your pedals being visible as an input device because they get listed first.

::EDIT:: New thread made for discussion of HOTAS support.
  • JarminxJarminx Posts: 12Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog
    Should definitely appeal to the VR market, seems to be taking off pretty well.. Even though I'm not personally going to be going with VR any time soon :tongue:
  • KoshKosh Posts: 2Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Booster
    I will not be going VR, either. I certainly appreciate the potential, but the state of the tech and the attendant demand for it (remember the whole "motion control" thing being touted, then summarily and quietly deep-sixed.... PS Move? Kinect?) simply hasn't reached a point of critical mass to move it beyond a niche market. Oh, it absolutely has a market, it simply isn't mainstream yet.
  • Templar3lfTemplar3lf Posts: 54Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog
    I may try VR once the HTC Vive becomes affordable, I'm not overly fond of the development progress of the Rift.
  • PsygonisPsygonis Posts: 4Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Booster
    Well, to be fair, I used to play to Strike Suit Zero and then I tried with a DK2 at some gaming con, and it does bring something, being able to move your POV along, having the steer your ship, fire its weapons and look around as three sometimes different things.

I don't own a VR system yet, but depending on how it develops, I might get tempted (and it would fit with my TM Warthog + Rudder pedals just fine, I think).
  • RowdyMrBRowdyMrB Posts: 3Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Pro
    Well having been a VR user and developer for the past 2-years I would highly recommend it for new games like Everspace.
  • JunoJuno Posts: 2Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog
    edzieba said:

As long as an analog throttle input on a controller is supported, manually configuring for a HOTAS setup is possible without much difficulty

::EDIT:: New thread made for discussion of HOTAS support.
    What I am banking on. I have a CV1 en route and it wouldnt be the same with a game pad. It shouldn't be much of an issue to re-map the main controls.
    Kosh said:

I will not be going VR, either. I certainly appreciate the potential, but the state of the tech and the attendant demand for it (remember the whole "motion control" thing being touted, then summarily and quietly deep-sixed.... PS Move? Kinect?) simply hasn't reached a point of critical mass to move it beyond a niche market. Oh, it absolutely has a market, it simply isn't mainstream yet.

A phrase often thrown at VR is "conversion on contact". I've had friends and colleagues over to try Elite: Dangerous and other VR demoes all have been blown away and all with machines powerful enough to run the hardware have preordered.

I can't wait for the Vive and PlayStation VR either, I think both are going to do a lot to 'convert the masses', especially the latter with its immense user base.

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,054Moderator
    Thebadmf said:

Hi guys nice forum. I'm a keen DK2 user with my CV1 due in April. Is VR support still in the cards and if so at which phase can we expect it? It really enhances elite:dangerous and would love to see a similar effect here.

VR is of course still in the cards, I can't tell you exactly at which phase, though. But I imagine that it would be helpful to get the feedback from let's say the beta backers on how well the game handles the VR, even if at that stage the interfaces/controls etc. might not be VR optimized to the max.

Thebadmf said:

VR is of course still in the cards, I can't tell you exactly at which phase, though. But I imagine that it would be helpful to get the feedback from let's say the beta backers on how well the game handles the VR, even if at that stage the interfaces/controls etc. might not be VR optimized to the max.
    That's great news. Oculus, Vive or both? Looking forward to the experience:)
    I'd be happy to help with VR alpha testing as soon as the alpha drops.
  • My Pet GoombaMy Pet Goomba Posts: 6Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog

I am a beta backer with a HTC Vive coming in April! I would LOVE to help out with Vive testing. You might even be able to talk me into alpha test for you. ;)
  • Lord PorkswordLord Porksword Posts: 2Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog
    DK2 (and HOTAS) owner and beta backer here!
    I'd be very happy to help test VR in the Beta phase! :D
  • ErrollErroll Posts: 5Common Beta Backer
    edited April 2016
    I backed this for VR. Looking forward to hearing more about progress on that. My Rift should arrive in the next week or two. Valkyrie won't cut it.. not so into multiplayer. The Rogue format will be perfect..

Hopefully they will be able to make Oculus Home keys available when the time comes.
    Rift and Vive just arrived, looking forward to the Alpha!
  • ErrollErroll Posts: 5Common Beta Backer

My Rift should arrive in the next week or two.

Boy was I Naive.. still waiting...

• My Pet GoombaMy Pet Goomba Posts: 6Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog
    Just to clarify, there WILL be HTV Vive support, right? I can't condone exclusives, and my HTC Vive arrives next week.
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 562Moderator

Just to clarify, there WILL be HTV Vive support, right? I can't condone exclusives, and my HTC Vive arrives next week.

Yes.
  • SybrseanSybrsean Posts: 1Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    I have my CV1 and tried this morning to get into the game. If I don't run Steam VR I can get into the game and play, and the Rift screen is just black with a loading hour-glass in the lower right that never goes away.

If I try running it via SteamVR I get an error message in the Rift that "there's something wrong you may have to look on your monitor to fix it". In this case there's no on monitor message and the game doesn't look to be running at all on the monitor or on the Rift.

Any suggestions. What is the proper start up procedure and what do you need to use to view on the Rift?

Thanks.
  • RejakuRejaku Posts: 4Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    edited May 2016
    Sybrsean said:

Any suggestions. What is the proper start up procedure and what do you need to use to view on the Rift?

Repost from http://forum.everspace-game.com/discussion/comment/2302/#Comment_2302

Tested with Vive and DK2 (CV1 should work as well):
    Within Steam, in the game's properties, uncheck "Use Desktop Game Theatre"
    Launch Steam VR
    Launch the game and get into the game, 1st person
    Press o

• mortis1337mortis1337 Posts: 3Member
    Tried it with my Oculus Rift DK2 last night. It looks fantastic, but the HUD is missing and the crosshair is off, so it's hard to aim. It was a lot of fun to just just fly alongside the other friendly ships tho and also just explore astroids and other things. I hope there's progress on the VR part :)
  • danpdanp Posts: 13Member
    SteamVR does not have "launch in VR" option for me. In the game I don't see any option to swap over to VR, so I'm basically clueless when it comes to playing this thing at all in VR. Any help on how to start it up with it recognized?
  • danpdanp Posts: 13Member
    edited June 2016
    I guess I should be more clear - I have an Oculus DK2, and when I click play it does give me info about how it'll be launching in VR, but all I get is a single frame flicker of the game when swapping through the menus at best. I have dual monitors.
  • mortis1337mortis1337 Posts: 3Member
    danp, press 'o' when you're ingame