Completing a Run: Is it Satisfying? Should it be Rewarding?

GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
edited March 2017 in GAMEPLAY (ES1)
Hello Everspace Community and Rockfish Games,

With the latest version 0.4 having rolled out on Steam, GOG, XBox and the Windows Store, I've been seeing a staggering amount of feedback regarding the new Enhancements, Gunship modifications, Colonial derelicts, ship layouts and color customization.

In particular, the Enhancements are the reward for carefully navigating inside of the (sometimes) massive interiors of the wrecked stations scattered across the Beltegrade Cluster, and the reward seems very fitting for the struggle.

So this leads me to a rather silly question: Why is the only reward from completing a run a mere indicator in the Hall of Fame?

Some may argue that the reward is justified, having pushed oneself past the various obstacles the game has thrown at them, bypassing hostiles and evading disastrous situations. In the final release, the completion of a run will further the story-arc taken by the player, no doubt. But in the current game state (v0.4), this does not exist, so we'll be excluding that from the discussion.

With the new update, I'm scrambling to encounter as many Colonial derelicts as possible to fill up all the new Enhancements, but it takes a while to do so (and this is good thing). I'm getting a reward for putting the effort into the situation, as it should be.

So, in comparison, does the reward of a completed run justify the means? Some others have suggested that the resources collected during a run should carry over, but I think that might have too powerful of an impact, regardless of how difficult it would be to obtain.

Maybe the completion of a run is enough for some people, but maybe it isn't enough for others. I have an idea that may benefit both.

SUGGESTION:
The player unlocks a random, bonus Enhancement for completing a run [only on Normal/Hard mode], in addition to being listed on the Hall of Fame and carrying over all obtained Credits.

At first glance, this suggestion might seem minor. But for dedicated pilots, I think this feature rewards the competitive spirit in us to not only complete a successful run, but to further unlock everything the game has to offer. It's not uncommon for games to open up more possibilities when they've been completed, and this simple suggestion does just that in a light, objective way WITHOUT taking away from scavenging a derelict.

Having this achievement locked from individuals participating in Easy mode does not prevent them access to the Enhancements overall, either. Therefore, this little bonus becomes just that: a bonus for overcoming greater odds, taking nothing away from how you choose to play.

So, what do YOU think? Is the satisfaction of completing a run enough of a reward, in and of itself? Or do you think a little bonus, like a free Enhancement, serves the role of a driving purpose to make it all the way? Let me know in the comments below!

Thanks for your time and feedback. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Giraffasaur

Comments

• ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121
    Hum. I just finished my first run in 0.4 and i have about 3/4 of the blueprints and enhancements unlocked (after 24 runs). Well, i think we get plenty of goodies as it is during a good run, what we lack is more story elements. Maybe we could get small perks related to finishing the game with each fighters...
  • WjndWalk3rWjndWalk3r Member Posts: 13
    collecting blueprint or enhancements it's just a matter of time, after full all stuff, it's just back to the endgame problem. I think a cosmetic gift it's better solution. Maybe an badge decal as reward or an cosmetic non combatant pet probe flying beside your ship lasting for 1 run, so if player die, they will have motivation to complete a run again. Maybe there will be several variation to make it random between each run and more important, difference between difficult.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110

I think a cosmetic gift it's better solution. Maybe an badge decal as reward or an cosmetic non combatant pet probe flying beside your ship lasting for 1 run, so if player die, they will have motivation to complete a run again. Maybe there will be several variation to make it random between each run and more important, difference between difficult.

That seems fair, as well. Something to signify the achievement beyond mere Hall of Fame recognition, that you can take with you into every run.
  • magrollmagroll Member Posts: 2
    - A non fighting looting drone would be a nice reward. This drone takes all open loot in a range of 1 or maybe 2 kms
    - Special colour templates should be another one
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for your suggestions @magroll .
    magroll said:

- A non fighting looting drone would be a nice reward. This drone takes all open loot in a range of 1 or maybe 2 kms

Sounds like pets from World of Warcraft or Diablo III. :smiley:
    Unfortunately pulling in loot at that great of range would negate the need of the Tractor Beam, but I like the idea of a visible reward you can see during your runs. I always thought it would be fun to have dashboard toys/bobble-heads, like similar items to the dinosaurs from Firefly or the troll dolls from Guardians of the Galaxy.
    magroll said:

- Special colour templates should be another one

There were some conversations during various streams a while back about different textures/reflections tied to color variations instead of just colors themselves, so I know the developers have some ideas regarding variety here. It's a toss-up if they'll be implemented, though.