Derelict colonial stations

ForavenForaven Posts: 116Member
Nice addition to the game for sure, but kind of hard of looting one without risking our ship in the process. Lots of traps, tight corridors and stuff to ram into. Also, it's quite annoying how often we end up wasting a key for a door we didn't need to open (since we blown a generator to get there). Several times i opened the wrong door only to realize it was leading me outside instead of a room with stuff inside. The colonial turrets are quite evil also, often only showing up on radar after we enter a room. Also the drones spawning in good number once we trigger them. Colonial stations are murderously evil...

Not sure how much i like them though. So far colonial stations have often been run enders, and plenty of time i could not loot anything useful from them (as well as wasting a key on a wrong door). They are especially difficult when piloting the gunship as every traps, walls, turrets and drones are likely to damage it's precious hull. I guess the scout is the most suited to run them as it can dodge traps easily and cloak to run pass drones and turrets...

Comments

• ROCKFISH_MalteROCKFISH_Malte Posts: 5Moderator
    Thanks for the feedback. One of the things we felt necessary for an "interior" leveldesign was the simple fact that it should not be a total safe space to be in. In other words there is risk outside and there should be risk inside too. So tight corridors, hidden turrets, laser, flames, drone spawners.. Its a "risky loot cave" essentially. I might tune back the amount of enemy activity in harder colonial points of interest for future updates..

One of the current problems we have is that we cant block out radial damage for generators due to the unreal units we currently are working with. (So you can disable generators from the outside with flak canons which defeat the purpose of them). Most of the time you´re supposed to either fly and find an entrance for low tier loot or buy passage with a keycard to the inside that has more higher tier loot. After that you can destroy the generators and leave. TLDR: By killing generators from the outside you essentially skip the fly through and enter via backdoor.

Every room that needs an access key should give you at least one equipment container or if you are lucky a subroutine. We most likely will increase the "value" of equipment containers too. You really need to feel good about spending that key.. (-:
  • ForavenForaven Posts: 116Member
    edited March 2017
    Hum... I don't think i would have felt good spending that key to get in most of the time. More often than not i get typical container loot inside stations. Also, there are often extra doors to open to get the rest of the loot, rarely have more than one key to use.

Yeah, destroying generators from the outside is somewhat cheating, but so is destroying turrets and other enemies through walls. Since explosions can't be fixed right now, the other solution would be to ensure generators are farther inside the structure so the explosion bubble can't reach them.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,094Moderator, Space Cat
    Foraven said:

...the other solution would be to ensure generators are farther inside the structure so the explosion bubble can't reach them.

I really love this idea, as well as having to navigate around the destroyed generator in the middle of a room. Would probably require a redesign of the shield generator asset into something like a vertical core, but that sounds fun.

I'm also pretty satisfied that Access Keys are a bit more useful now, though some doors that require a key have easy backdoors to get through. I know this is the first released iteration of the derelicts so I don't mean to be overly critical, it just seems like something in the generating of the structure needs to be tweaked to ensure players aren't wasting keys for nothing.

Otherwise, I've been thrilled seeing this new addition to the game both mechanically and visually, and the bonus for venturing through them (Enhancements) continue to surprise me with their functionality as well.
  • ForavenForaven Posts: 116Member
    edited March 2017
    Hum... Not sure if is meant to be that way, but i got insta killed by a sweeping laser inside a derelict station on my last run. My interceptor was full health and shields. I'm am all for difficulty and derelict being more danagerous than what is outside, but that is a little too unforgiving...

I was in the first system of sector 6.
  • RalthorRalthor Posts: 2Member
    The stations themselves I dont mind. But I do find the balance of keys to stations a bit off. Too many stations, not aenough keys. Might be an idea to annotate caches in the stations as colonial... to save boosting half way across a system only to discover you cant get at all those sweet goodies because you dont have any keys.
  • ROCKFISH_MalteROCKFISH_Malte Posts: 5Moderator
    Ralthor said:

The stations themselves I dont mind. But I do find the balance of keys to stations a bit off. Too many stations, not aenough keys. Might be an idea to annotate caches in the stations as colonial... to save boosting half way across a system only to discover you cant get at all those sweet goodies because you dont have any keys.

Noted! A locked up room should only contain "Equipment" container which will tell you that you'll need a key. If there are other containers floating around you can get to them anyway..
    The keys supposed to be rare but i get that that more ways of getting them would be more interesting. I talked with the team about possibly adding them with a low chance to spawn in G&B Mining Facilities.. Might be a good idea.

Also we currently disabled "Radial Damage" for the generators.. So you need to hit them directly atm. No wallhacks!
  • DeathpactDeathpact Posts: 29Member
    I just spent a hard earned access key to open a red door on a derelict ship just for a mere loot box like i find everywhere else.
    It was such a let down, i don't think i will try it again... i will keep the key for strongboxes wich give plenty of loot...
    I like visiting the ships but i find they are very time consuming (sometimes searching an entrance for a loong time and haven't been so happy with the rewards...

I think if you put red doors we should "know" there is value behind it...
    Or you could also not use access keys at all for derelict ships... i think they are difficult enough without needing keys... they are mazes, hard to find an entrance, hard to find your way in, dangerous defenses... last time i died by inadvertently pressing the button of my energized boost lol !

I absolutely love the game... but the derelict ships i find are a bit annoying... i don't have the feeling like yeah let's explore that stuff ! it more like... meh... i'm gonna hit the walls again and find a couple loot boxes before the okkar come in...
    After having gathered all the Enhancements, I have to admit I usually avoid using keys in derelict stations now, since it's far more advantageous saving them for secure containers.

I think there should be some kind of incentive (besides Enhancements) to spend those keys in Colonial stations. Something that would make me dive into a derelict would be some kind of massive cache, guaranteed area scan or a free repair bay (equal to 5-10 nanobots or so) for completing the trials.
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 562Moderator
    Yes, there should be. It's on our list.
  • troopitroopi Posts: 83Member
    edited April 2017
    Ideas about derelict cache (one of the options below only - random)
    They should be good treasures, hidden in a special container box, but they could sometimes have a "bad reward"

- radar to the whole scene.
    - nanobot cache equal to 50-100% health repair
    - credits! Lotsa
    - info on some areas ahead (more detailed info - type of scenario - danger kind - trade possible or not)
    - a cash of drones (3-6) of a specific kind (repair, web, attack, etc...)
    - a cash of heavy duty missiles (even nukes)
    - a cash of one type of rare resources
    - activate a dimensional rift to another area (maybe a special one)
    - fuel - enough for the refill.

- ping an okkar drone patrol
    - alert the okkar interceptors
    - lure a corvette to investigate the derelict
    - self destruct sequence. Get out of the derelict into a safe distance!
    - F..k! The colonial warship arrives! XD

Cheers.
  • SteamBrainsSteamBrains Posts: 72Space Cat
    That's an awesome idea!
  • Ohlordlylord555Ohlordlylord555 Posts: 14Member
    Keys keys keys
    I think the idea here is giving Keys more value, not giving the player more Keys. ;-)