Seem difficulty has been increased in 0.4 (normal diff).

ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121
Well, the incomming okkar fleet is something much harder than the previous interceptors / battleships. I don't think there is any grace period once they start warping in, and you can be unlucky and get warp jammed by the first corvette in. That's what happened in my last run, i was warping out but the first corvette arrived before my warp was completed and i got jammed. I wasn't freaking out yet since in had the firepower to take it out, and even had a mainframe hacking device. But before i was done other corvette came in, also jamming my warping out. I did fight a few minutes but i was soon outgunned and could not manage to warp away. All this happened only 3 sectors in! Darn, don't need a frigate to make it hard now...

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2017
    I've had the same scenarios occur with me.

I've been learning how to optimize my resource collection to get out a little earlier from each sector before the Okkar jump in, but the difference feels more like a disadvantage than a powerful new mechanic.

Perhaps when the Okkar begin warping in, the player should have (roughly) a 10-second grace period that shows a percentage of the Okkar warping to the location. When it hits 100%, that's when Okkar start to appear, including with potential jamming devices.

This way, the player can know their time is almost up without being jacked by a jammer, but also still have the imposing doom of the Okkar fleet if they stick around. Varied types of Okkar warping in are far more challenging than mere Interceptors, but it's also far more interesting when sticking around.

Maybe a little tweak is needed, but I think this mechanic is almost there!
  • ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121
    I don't think i would ever consider staying put once they start getting in, odds are too high big stuff will show up with jammers. With the way it is, if you don't have a consumable to break the jamming you are never gona leave.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,189
    We'll probably increase the time between the alert pops up and the ships arrive a little
  • invenioinvenio Member Posts: 108
    My last run two capital ships jumped in with some fighters. This mixed with the fact that there was jamming from one of the large ships meant pretty much I was going to die no matter what as I was only in sector 2 when this happened. I tried to start fighting them off but a few minutes later a few more capital ships where there and it was pretty much all over.

My personal opinion is that these ships jumping in should be used to get you out of the sector, not to try and instantly kill you. It's hard enough to warp away with taking fire, but at least it makes the "getaway" exciting.

My suggestion to make the gameplay better: remove jamming on these incoming ships. Dealing with initial jamming is ok, but you don't want to be faced with it twice in one area.
    edited March 2017
    invenio said:

My personal opinion is that these ships jumping in should be used to get you out of the sector, not to try and instantly kill you. It's hard enough to warp away with taking fire, but at least it makes the "getaway" exciting.

The intent of the current game design is to push the player out of the sector.
    invenio said:

My suggestion to make the gameplay better: remove jamming on these incoming ships. Dealing with initial jamming is ok, but you don't want to be faced with it twice in one area.

Your idea seems to be a fair solution to the problem, but truthfully, I love the immediacy of a jamming ship jumping in to cut me off. The tension builds to an impressive climax where you're making rash decisions on a very short timer, before those warships show up. It's exciting, pulse-pounding action in that minute or so you have.

I think the major issue with the implemented mechanic is that they can jam you within seconds from the initial "Okkar Forces Inbound" warning, giving the player no chance to react. By giving the player extra time to respond, it seems the issue is alleviated entirely. You can still stick around and test your luck of course, but you're gambling a chance at being locked down. Not because it's the game's choice, but because it's your own risk. It's shifting the power to the player, and I think this is a good thing.
  • invenioinvenio Member Posts: 108

I think the major issue with the implemented mechanic is that they can jam you within seconds from the initial "Okkar Forces Inbound" warning, giving the player no chance to react.

Completely agree. The player should have a choice to try and get away or stay and fight. Currently, the capital ships jump in and you are stuck (whether you like it or not). If you don't have a very powerful ship (like I did being only in the 2nd sector), it's pretty much a death sentence.
  • troopitroopi Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2017
    Maybe the jamming could be done by drones that fly around bigger ships. So you could target the jammer while evading the bigger ships, and run away after that...
    Or a bigger specialized ship without weapons, but with fighters support.
    edited April 2017
    troopi said:

Maybe the jamming could be done by drones that fly around bigger ships. So you could target the jammer while evading the bigger ships, and run away after that...
    Or a bigger specialized ship without weapons, but with fighters support.

As it is, the warping-in ships can have their jamming devices disabled if you get close enough (Time Extender and Cloak are great for this maneuver). The problem isn't how to interact with the jamming, it's when. So creating other ways to interact (like a jamming drone or different specialized ship) wouldn't really solve the problem, it would simply make different kinds of the same issue at hand.

But thankfully, this will be adjusted next patch!
  • DeathpactDeathpact Member Posts: 29
    I don't get it... if i start leaving as soon as the alarm starts i never have trouble with the okkars... ?
    Deathpact said:

I don't get it... if i start leaving as soon as the alarm starts i never have trouble with the okkars... ?

Indeed, this is the case. But if you're 2 seconds from mining Crystal when the alarm goes off, and it takes you an extra 2 seconds to get out of the asteroid interior you're also in, the player can get locked down for those couple extra seconds in the area. It's can be pretty unfortunate.

The idea here is to expand the gap between the warning of the Okkar Fleet's approach and the actual Okkar Fleet's entrance, because as it is, it's less of a warning of their approach and more of an indicator of their actual entrance.
  • troopitroopi Member Posts: 83
    The idea here is to expand the gap between the warning of the Okkar Fleet's approach and the actual Okkar Fleet's entrance, because as it is, it's less of a warning of their approach and more of an indicator of their actual entrance.

Isn't it? I always thought that the warning was about the fleet's arrival. And so I usually do my stuff BEFORE the alarm goes off. When I feel like I've spend too much time, I start planning the escape route.
    The only time I got screwed was in an area where a corvette was jamming the warp, and I wasted too much time trying to destroy it. The okkar interceptors arrived to make it worse, and then, the warship. And I died. Yay.
    By the way, this seems strange, but unlike Dark Souls, I actually like dying in this game. B)