Rework of Enemy Priorities?

Maybe it's just me but occasionally I'll see outlaws and Okkar going at it and decide "Why not intercede?" particularly if, for instance, the Outlaw is currently getting his -BEEP- handed to him. The problem is that the moment I engage with the Okkar, the outlaw switches targets from the guy *he was just dogfighting* to me. Like the mere sight of my ship infuriated him to such an extent that the guy who had just been attempting to murder him (or who he had been attempting to murder) was completely forgotten from his mind.

Basically it feels like enemies are programmed to go for me as the player in favor of literally anything else in their target list if I'm on it, even if that means disengaging from the fight they were already engaged with.

I get that we don't like outlaws because they're basically bandits from Borderlands, that being murderous little psychotic nutfucks, and they don't like us, because they're psychotic murderous nutfucks, but the actual priorities at work seem... off. I haven't attacked him, haven't even targetted him, but he's now swapped targets to me just because I got involved in his dogfight?

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,102
    edited February 2017
    I've had this happen to me once and a while too, and I also know this is a topic that has been mentioned on the forums so the devs are sure to know about it.

I'm of the opinion that the faction relationships shouldn't get that deep. I know it seems like helping out the Outlaws should make them a little more keen on leaving you alone, but I find it fitting they stick to their guns regardless of interlopers. This same mentality aligns quite well with the Okkar because they've got some serious beef with the player (which we'll find out more when the story drops with the release of the game).

I could see some form of advanced reputation mechanic do a little bit of good when it comes to these engagements, but I'm not sure if the programming work is worth it compared to the many other great things being implemented at this time.
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Moderator Posts: 570
    At the moment, NPCs attack their closest enemy. Distance checks are made every couple of seconds. So it's not really an advanced system taking a lot of things into account. We could probably improve it but right now we don't see the need for it as most of the time you would not really see the difference.
  • exwhyzeeexwhyzee Member Posts: 19
    Agreed. On several occasions I've just popped into a new sector and I seemed to aggro the entire map. Especially if I had the audacity to use a scanning probe.
  • NenacuNenacu Customer, Collector Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 69
    I'll have to agree with some of the people asking about a rework here to a degree. I don't so much mind drawing the aggro of everything in a wide radius by using a scanning probe while playing in hard mode, but I've noticed that it does much the same in the other difficulties. That could potentially lead to some player frustration before they realize just what is going on. Perhaps dialing back the detection radius and potential for jump-in adds on the lesser difficulties? Unless that's already the case and I'm just not noticing the difference.