Immersion - The In-Game Menus and Pausing

GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
edited January 2017 in GAMEPLAY
Hello Rockfish Games and the Everspace community,

I've been a little out of the loop lately and have been watching people play more than playing, but I've been noticing a couple things from some of the streamers I've witnessed as of late. As such, I've got a somewhat short suggestion, but one I think would be a powerful change (though also a somewhat large one) for the game. Oh, and it's quite a bold change too.

In a lot of Roguelike experiences, there are turn-based components or menus that allow the player to pause the action and change key items and equipment during a run. This mechanic works beautifully in how the pacing of the game is complemented by it's respective menu, granting a moment to evaluate the player's condition and adjust themselves to their respective needs. Turn-based play promotes strategic thought using paused action so the player can do exactly what they plan to next. Real-time works a bit differently though, and pausing is far more of a separation from the action than it is a complement to it.

With the action high and the player dealing with a little bit of inventory management, I think Everspace's pacing fits a no-pause-menu direction. More often than not, an [experienced] player knows what they want before they enter the menu. Immersion struggles from using the menus, as well.

A "no-pause-menu" means when you want to go repair or craft a drone, ships and drones are still whizzing around you, or firing upon you. That black hole would still be sucking you in. The impending Interceptors would still be en route. If the player wanted to craft something or go for repairs, they either have to do it with lightning speed in the menu or find a little place to hide while accessing the crafting options.

This would also affect Service Stations and Traders, but the MAIN game menu would still pause, overriding any other menu.

With this kind of change would come quite a bit of tweaking with other mechanics. For instance, there would absolutely need to be a shortcut to use Nanobots, and another to repair Ship Components. In addition, I could see how a player could lose a lot of time they would otherwise be exploring or fighting, so the pursuing Interceptors would have to be pushed back at least a minute per area, maybe two, to compensate for the lack of pausing.

I could also see some people criticize not having enough time to understand what they can craft and how much it would all cost, and this is the greatest challenge I see against this implementation. I could argue it would be part of the learning experience of Everspace, but that sounds a bit pretentious along the "git gud" mentality, which I do not support. Maybe the menu would still pause on Easy difficulty to help the player grow accustomed to their options, while Normal and Hard feature a real-time menu.

TL;DR - The inventory screen shouldn't pause the action of the game because it breaks immersion. Crafting and repairing should be on the fly instead of from a paused game-state.

What do you all think? Are my thoughts completely ridiculous, and a paused menu the best way Everspace should function (as it is)? Or do you think the fast-paced nature of the game would benefit gloriously if our decisions had to be made with haste? Do you think a middle ground should be found, like a slowed-down game-state while in the menus? Let me know in a response!

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,086Moderator
    We have thought about this as well, but either as a negative effect of one of the upcoming enhancements you can equip (with another positive effect to it) or as part of the hardcore mode. I personally would refrain from putting it in per default (but maybe in hard mode?), it would make the game too hard, although it indeed would have the benefit of increased need for advance planning. You could not just go to the menu in the middle of a fight and quickly craft 100 consumables and use them without taking additional damage.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited January 2017
    Indeed you are correct @ROCKFISH_Andi , though I wonder if the added factor of "crafting familiarity" (for quicker menu selections) could be an appropriate addition to the game.

Either way, if the menus didn't pause the action, the difficulty would certainly spike up; if this were implemented right now, it could do more harm than good due to the expectations set upon all those who have participated in the Alpha, Beta and Early Accesses (as I'm sure the team is aware of).

But on the opposite side of that, it's implementation could also introduce new players to a faster-paced, [slightly] more immersive spaceship shooter with the emphasis on action even when crafting.

I also would like to state: I love the concept of an enhancement granting a benefit while removing the pause from the menu, but if that auto-binds it could seriously mess people up during the course of a run. I think it would be much more advantageous to begin the run with paused-menus or without, so the player can adjust accordingly from the get-go.

Heck, maybe it could somehow be a player-selected "challenge" at the start? If the player chooses to have no-pause menus, they gain 10% more Credits to their run or something. :smiley:

I wonder if the added factor of "crafting familiarity" (for quicker menu selections) could be an appropriate addition to the game.

With the next update, equipment that you previously crafted will appear on the top of the list, ordered by the number of times you have crafted the respective equipment and marked with a "favorite" icon.

I also would like to state: I love the concept of an enhancement granting a benefit while removing the pause from the menu, but if that auto-binds it could seriously mess people up during the course of a run. I think it would be much more advantageous to begin the run with paused-menus or without, so the player can adjust accordingly from the get-go.

The way Enhancements will work is that you equip them in the hangar. You will start out with one enhancement slot and can perk up to 3. You cannot uninstall enhancements during runs, so if you equip e.g. the Daredevil, you will play a complete run without shields. Same would go for an enhancement that does not allow pausing
  • NenacuNenacu Posts: 69Customer, Collector Beta Backer

With the next update, equipment that you previously crafted will appear on the top of the list, ordered by the number of times you have crafted the respective equipment and marked with a "favorite" icon.

Just what I've always wanted! Thank you for adding a mechanic like this in. I know it'll gain a lot of favor from those of us that craft often.

The way Enhancements will work is that you equip them in the hangar. You will start out with one enhancement slot and can perk up to 3. You cannot uninstall enhancements during runs, so if you equip e.g. the Daredevil, you will play a complete run without shields. Same would go for an enhancement that does not allow pausing

And now I'm seeing myself trying to kit out each ship properly for all sorts of enhancement runs. :smiley: Might be a nice touch for when such enhancements are added in that we get the occasional challenge to play through to the end with them. That said, are there plans to move the Daredevil to a different slot then? Because if so, I'll definitely be running it much more often than I already do!
  • SteamBrainsSteamBrains Posts: 72Space Cat
    I'm down with having no pause for hardcore mode or for some other sort of implementation, but for the base game I do find it nice and still immersive to have a pause. I would probably more against than for this though, just because in my eyes the cons outweigh the pro's. (More work that could be put somewhere else, re-evaluating mechanics, and having to add more hud options) would be something cool to see though!
    edited January 2017

The way Enhancements will work is that you equip them in the hangar. You will start out with one enhancement slot and can perk up to 3. You cannot uninstall enhancements during runs, so if you equip e.g. the Daredevil, you will play a complete run without shields. Same would go for an enhancement that does not allow pausing.

I wish I could give the team a high-five right now; these sound like great implementations that expand the replayability factor tenfold (which I've strongly felt Everspace needed more mechanics to enhance every successive run).

Enhancements and Glyphs have me all kinds of excited knowing there's a reason to replay the game other than just "leveling up" Perks. Slowly but surely, there will be new ways to dive into the game from the start, which is fantastic. I'm also hopeful for additional ship layouts too, even though it's not very likely...but I digress. PUMPED.
    edited January 2017

Enhancements and Glyphs have me all kinds of excited knowing there's a reason to replay the game other than just "leveling up" Perks.

We're excited as well! A little heads-up regarding enhancements and terms: Enhancements will come in two categories - Glyphs and Sub-Routines. So the current Sub-Routines won't be devices anymore, but Enhancements that can be equipped in the hangar. Glyphs are basically the same, but can be more fantastic, as they are originated from an ancient alien race. We'll add the Sub-Routines (more than are curretly in the game) in the next update and the Glyphs a little later.

I'm also hopeful for additional ship layouts too, even though it's not very likely...but I digress. PUMPED.

I've got even more good news for you. We've started working on additional loadouts. I'm confident they'll make it into the next update as well.

Have a great weekend, all!

I've got even more good news for you. We've started working on additional loadouts. I'm confident they'll make it into the next update as well.

Have a great weekend, all!

This is GREAT news! I am absolutely thrilled that Everspace will have more selectable options, creating more opportunities to be enjoyed through varying playstyles and customized combinations. Truly, I feel this direction will give the game a much greater sense of purpose, expanded personalization and tons of longevity.

Thank you so much for this news, @ROCKFISH_Andi !
  • RattiputzRattiputz Posts: 26Common Beta Backer, Customer
    Hi, this thread is full of great ideas! I personnaly would love a game without pausing, just for the extra challenge... How about adding the ability to land on asteroids to be able to craft/unequip/equip items (of course on a higher difficulty level)? You would indeed have to think a little ahead, which is not necessarely a bad thing.