Controller issue or intentional game design?

Jacman117Jacman117 Posts: 5Member
edited December 2016 in GAMEPLAY
Greetings!

To start off, I bought the game several days ago on Xbox One and I love it, it's a great balance of game mechanics. I only have one question/issue with it, and as the title suggests, I'm not sure if it's actually a problem-maybe for Xbox only-and not something specifically implemented by the devs.

On Xbox, there is a moderate delay when using the right analog stick for ship movement. Every other action in the game, like firing weapons, is nearly instantaneous. But ship maneuvering is the only action with moderate input delay, which leads to several issues including difficulty aiming and overshooting targets--in fact there is a thread about this problem below mine, but he identified the problem as over sensitivity, which in my opinion is an understandable mis-characterization. But the input lag for movement combined with insane levels of aim acceleration do give an impression of over-sensitivity when there really isn't.

I only play on Xbox one so I don't know if it happens on PC as well. However, I also don't know if this was an intentional design choice by the devs, maybe trying to simulate inertia or some kind of momentum? Any info would be much appreciated, but even if it is an intentional choice, it seems weird and frankly is a bit irritating to play a game that has fast and tight controls for everything but aiming your ship :P

Comments

• Rally JimRally Jim Posts: 5Member
    Hi first just want to say hello and what a great fantastic game. ok so yes like other fellow, im an older gamer too. so i apreciate easy level as well,,,, but one problem,,, i use xbox vrs. and the sensitivity option under controls seems to be null. no matter how i set it, it changes nothing. i use fixed centered crosshairs, btw. But man its way to sensitive, i keep overshooting targets, flip floping back and forth around them when im trying to zero in on one, ect. very frushstrating for an otherwise fantastic game. so any ideas, help,fixes coming? does anyone else notice this, or am i just getting to old and loseing it. lol. thanks and great work guys!
  • Jacman117Jacman117 Posts: 5Member
    edited December 2016
    Hey man,

I just posted a thread about this issue called "controller issue or intentional game design." Hopefully we get some answers :smile:
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    I play the PC version (via Steam), and I have not had any input lag issues. Seems strange that is happens only with movement. I have watched a good number of individuals play the game via XBox though, and I haven't heard any complaints about lag.

Out of curiosity, do you have another controller you could test the game on, just to make sure it's the game version and not the controller itself?
    edited December 2016
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="Giraffasaur">@Giraffasaur said: "I play the PC version (via Steam), and I have not had any input lag issues. Seems strange that is happens only with movement. I have watched a good number of individuals play the game via XBox though, and I haven't heard any complaints about lag.

Out of curiosity, do you have another controller you could test the game on, just to make sure it's the game version and not the controller itself?"</blockquote>

I should have put that in the above post- yes I've played with multiple controllers. The problem is overshooting, meaning after I stop turning to center in on a ship, my aim keeps going for awhile. At first I thought it was momentum which would make sense, but there is the same delay on initiating movement.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    Jacman117 said:

I should have put that in the above post- yes I've played with multiple controllers. The problem is overshooting, meaning after I stop turning to center in on a ship, my aim keeps going for awhile. At first I thought it was momentum which would make sense, but there is the same delay on initiating movement.

Hmmm, alrighty. It seems what you're looking for is definitely for the developers to answer. Hopefully @ROCKFISH_Andi or another member of the team will swing by to help clarify the sensitivity of the controller.
    well jacman117 seems to be interpreting it a bit diffrent than me,,, as i dont feel any lag,,just plane oversensitivity to me. reguardless the result seems to be the same. iv played prob. every space game known to man,,from wing commander to privater to iwar to all the chris and erin roberts games ect mouse,joystick,and controler inputs ect. and i always was one of those guys that set the cursor sensitivity on the slower side. thing is, this had to be given thought by the devs or they wouldent have put the option in under controls,,,but,,, it doesnt seem to work! jacman117 dont you notice this as well? the setting change does nothing. seems to be broken. @Giraffasaur can you please pass this on to the devs,,, its a dealbreaker for me and maby many others,, and so sad cause so far what iv played its a fantastic piece of work and art that comes along only once in a great while these days. ps. just a sidenote that might help. im useing an xbox s,,,the new vrs. with the new controller that also has bluetooth,,althought im not connecting that way to the box,,,but,,,it,(the controller) does take updates as well as the box,,so,, im wondering if that broke anything with the control code of the game? eh,,just putting it out there. Thanks guys
    > @Rally Jim said:
    > well jacman117 seems to be interpreting it a bit diffrent than me,,, as i dont feel any lag,,just plane oversensitivity to me. reguardless the result seems to be the same. iv played prob. every space game known to man,,from wing commander to privater to iwar to all the chris and erin roberts games ect mouse,joystick,and controler inputs ect. and i always was one of those guys that set the cursor sensitivity on the slower side. thing is, this had to be given thought by the devs or they wouldent have put the option in under controls,,,but,,, it doesnt seem to work! jacman117 dont you notice this as well? the setting change does nothing. seems to be broken. @Giraffasaur can you please pass this on to the devs,,, its a dealbreaker for me and maby many others,, and so sad cause so far what iv played its a fantastic piece of work and art that comes along only once in a great while these days. ps. just a sidenote that might help. im useing an xbox s,,,the new vrs. with the new controller that also has bluetooth,,althought im not connecting that way to the box,,,but,,,it,(the controller) does take updates as well as the box,,so,, im wondering if that broke anything with the control code of the game? eh,,just putting it out there. Thanks guys

I agree that the sensitivity does not seem to be able to be adjusted, but could you be mistaking sensitivity for aim acceleration? This game has ridiculous levels aim acceleration to be honest, it causes a lot of overshooting when aiming.
    honestly it doesnt seem to do anyting that i notice when i change the setting,,but i get your aim accelerated thing. the whole aiming thing is just to dam fast=missing target deal for me. its like playing starlancer or i war 2 with the rectical speed and acceleration maxed out. give them time, im sure they will address it in time.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,085Moderator
    The mouse controls are pretty much spot on, but I agree that the gamepad controls require further tweaking. But the sensitivity should definitely have an influence. The giant lag you're describing could be related to your TV settings. At least this was a big problem when we tried the game on a TV in the office. It was fine on monitors but laggy on the TV - then we went to the TV settings and set the picture mode of the connected HDMI channel to "Game" instead of "TV". Your TV should have an option like this. It might not solve the problem for you, but you should definitely try it.
    edited December 2016
    > @ROCKFISH_Andi said:
    > The mouse controls are pretty much spot on, but I agree that the gamepad controls require further tweaking. But the sensitivity should definitely have an influence. The giant lag you're describing could be related to your TV settings. At least this was a big problem when we tried the game on a TV in the office. It was fine on monitors but laggy on the TV - then we went to the TV settings and set the picture mode of the connected HDMI channel to "Game" instead of "TV". Your TV should have an option like this. It might not solve the problem for you, but you should definitely try it.

It's been in game mode the entire time, but if you're sure there's no discrepancy in response time between turning/aiming and other functions like shooting, then I guess I'll deal with it. But the insane levels of aim acceleration is difficult to deal with imo :smile:

On an entirely separate note, Microsoft is releasing the Xbox Scorpio around Christmas 2017, will you guys be supporting Everspace on that platform with enhanced textures, lighting, fps, etc, to match the pc version? (If the scorpio hardware can do it)
    Yes i have my smsung 60 inch in game mode as well,,, but tried it in other modes too, no diffrence. yes, i guess you could call it aim acceleration,, is way to fast for me,,its like a bobbel head when trying to zero in. like i said, i think the sensitivity ajustment is not working, but maby just for xbox,,and no one is noticeing. but also i get no lag at all,,smooth as silk,,maby too smooth? lol. Also i heard everthing that works on xbox one will work on scorpio.