Changing ship parts

ectoplasmicectoplasmic Posts: 4Member
Will this be a gamemechanic? Like you skill up your Skilltree, then you can decide what Boost/Engines/Wings etc you want to use. Could be interesting; maybe this opens more explorations or experimentations with those mechanics thus more time playing this game ^^

i am only asking because i saw in one trailer the Interceptor changes his engine, and this got me thinking.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat

We won’t make EVERSPACE™ ultra hardcore and unforgiving. Rather, every time you die you will be able to improve your starting conditions for all the following runs. Permanently increase the capacity of your shields, install better engines, improve sensors, upgrade weapons, and attach armor plates – just to name a few.

Most ship upgrades will be directly visible, while some will have a huge visual impact, e.g. upgrading your wings will lead to an entirely different look.

You will be able to dig into the depths of the upgrade tree. Think of perks and upgrades that can change a lot of things – unlock new abilities and equipment, improve various stats and enable several other benefits that may change your play style.

Furthermore, every death will get you closer to revealing another fragment of the story being told. So dying is part of the progression.

The above quote is the from the Game Page, but I don't believe it has been updated for some time. I know that the development of the game has been slightly pushed back to include as much as possible in the experience before launching, so that may mean they're still working on it or have put it aside to address other mechanics.

Personally, I would love to hear some information regarding the player's ability to customize ships, but I can understand the team focusing down features of the game that will stabilize, enhance and balance it. Here's hoping we find out more about ship parts soon, though! :smiley:
  • FirunFirun Posts: 13Member
    Just wanted to add that I'd love to see that implemented, too :)
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,086Moderator
    We're already preparing different colors to choose from, they will either be added to the next patch or the one after. The ship parts are still to be discussed. We currently have slight visual upgrades related to unlocking certain perks, we might change this and give more configutation options, but we'll probably won't be changing the look of the ships as drastically (with the wings) as in the shown GIF. We'd like to maintain the overall look of the ships to keep them instantly recognizable. But all of this is not decided, yet. In any case it's not top priority right now, so I can't really say if and when it is going to happen.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited December 2016

We're already preparing different colors to choose from, they will either be added to the next patch or the one after.

This is great to hear. Truthfully, I think customization is going to be a huge draw-in for players, and I'm very excited to hear this will still make it to at least one of the versions (and hopefully to the full game).

The ship parts are still to be discussed. We currently have slight visual upgrades related to unlocking certain perks, we might change this and give more configuration options, but we'll probably won't be changing the look of the ships as drastically (with the wings) as in the shown GIF. We'd like to maintain the overall look of the ships to keep them instantly recognizable.

I can definitely agree about keeping the ships tied to their initial looks as closely as possible. From what I understand about storytelling, it's powerful design to give the protagonist a distinguishable silhouette, and the Everspace ships are unique in this regard.

At the same time, I think having a little control over the aesthetics of the player ship will incentivize more players to keep coming back. Roguelikes aren't too shy on personalization (or even randomization) of the initial look of the protagonist. Some people won't have fun constantly dying and may get frustrated with the game, but that blow is softened if it gives them an opportunity to try a different look at the very least.

Regarding the ship Perk upgrades, currently there are only two identifiable changes (with two tiers for each) regarding the Engine's Max Speed and Boost Speed. Will we see any other visual upgrades, like with the Energy Core, Jump Drive or uniques (like Hull Armor or Sensor Range)?
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,086Moderator

I think having a little control over the aesthetics of the player ship will incentivize more players to keep coming back.

I agree and we still like to add more customization options. Colors firt and then we'll see

Will we see any other visual upgrades, like with the Energy Core, Jump Drive or uniques (like Hull Armor or Sensor Range)?

We might add a few more, but no promises. The Energy Core already does change (it's quite subtle though, but take note of the "thingy" on top of the interceptor and gunship (behind the turret) and bottom of the scout. And I think the scout's "antennas" increase in length twice when the sensors are upgraded.

• SteamBrainsSteamBrains Posts: 72Space Cat
    Oh I thought the "thingy" was also for scanners xD yeah I'm actually super excited for customization. I don't 100% see the importance in keeping the look "almost identical" the ships have good themes and since its single player, does it matter if the ships look a bit different? If it was a multiplayer thing, and changing the look of your ships would confuse people, then I could see why but it doesn't seem too bad to me. Either way glad your working on this! Best of luck!