Secondary Weapon Comparison plus Thoughts and Suggestions

GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,097Moderator, Space Cat
edited December 2016 in GAMEPLAY
Hello Everspace Community and Rockfish Games,

Let's look at the various Secondary Weapons in the v0.3 build of the game. This thread is meant to discuss the beauties and flaws in their functionality in an attempt for game balance.

I'd like to mention that I think there is a very great number of Secondaries in the game as of v0.3. There is a nice selection of varying functions. Finding the right tool isn't overwhelming to the player. This discussion is finding out if there are any additional options the players should have or any features that could use tweaking.

There are 8 different Secondary Weapons available in the game, two of which are Class Restricted (Mine Clusters are Gunship-only and Stasis Missiles are Scout-only).

Here is a comparison chart to see how much each one costs to create versus their damage output or special abilities they provide (as well as their AoE (Area of Effect), Range and Velocity.

Looking at this chart, we can see a few things, but I'd specifically like to address the gaps here. Light and Heavy Missiles serve overarching purposes of Secondaries from a very basic standpoint of dealing some additional support (either Lightly or Heavily). Shield Breaker Missiles are meant to provide a way to breach the defenses of a ship before barraging it. Stasis Missiles and Mine Clusters are situational to both the Scout and Gunship respectively.

The ARC-9000 is expensive and deals a ton of damage, and the Plasma Torpedo is high price for situational adversaries.

The Corrosion Missile is a great concept, but doesn't seem to fit many situations. If it could bypass the Outlaw Drone Carrier's shield, this may be a different story. This was expressly noticed by @Nenacu during one of his recent streams.

https://www.twitch.tv/nenacu/v/107908166

Corrosion Missiles don't seem to fit well with the fast-paced nature of Everspace because it takes quite a while to dish out it's 240 damage. If it dealt 30 hull damage per second over the course of 8 seconds, I think this would promote usage in more scenarios overall. As mentioned to above, I think having the ability to pierce through Outlaw Drone Carriers as a situational means would make these weapons far more valuable.

Here are some additional options as Secondary Weapons.
The numbers have been based off of previously existing resource costs as a form of balance.

The reasoning behind these suggestions:
Hull Buster Missiles satisfy an area of similarity that the Shield Breaker Missiles address, except on the opposite side of the coin. Cheaper than a Heavy Missile but less effective than a Light Missile if used incorrectly, the Hull Buster could serve a powerful function to the right strategist.

Piercing Missiles might seem like it's worse than a Light Missile (costs 1 Gel and doesn't deal any Shield Damage), but this device provides a much-needed situational response to the Outlaw Drone Carrier, as well as a possible response to heavily shielded Okkar Fighters in a pinch.

Nullification Missiles create a new opportunity to the player. Since most Shields recharge after a moment or two of no damage, the player can be left high and dry because of energy outages. While the weapon doesn't do much damage to a Shield itself, the constant damage over time ensures no recharging will happen while you're struggling with energy reserves.

Singularity Charges are a unique utility weapon. While it won't deal any damage itself, the effect could disable a swarm of enemies or even cause them to collide with asteroids or amongst themselves. It would fire similar to that of an ARC-9000 and pull things towards its center like that of a Black Hole. This is a more expensive option than the Stasis Missile in regards to utility, if the player has the resources to do so.

ARC-LITEs are, essentially, a half-as-powerful ARC-9000 that costs half as many resources, for those with a lighter budget seeking to use it against multiple groups of fighters instead of massive warships.

All in all, I think Secondary Weapons could provide more means to overcome situational scenarios the player may happen upon. If there were just a couple more options, I think players would find their options bountiful without too much fluff added to the mix.

As always, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Secondary Weapons. Do you think they're fine where they're at? Do you think any of them need to change? What type of Secondary would you like to see in the game? Please share!

Comments

• NenacuNenacu Posts: 69Customer, Collector Beta Backer
    I'm in agreement for the majority of the ideas put forward here. The new secondary weapon ideas are fun indeed, but perhaps not the most necessary.

Now then, allow me to clear up my slightly disjointed thoughts from the video now that I have a bit of time to properly gather and articulate them. It seems that Drone Carriers have 100% damage reduction from all sources while the link drones are out. This includes the effect from corrosion missiles. Now, it is possible to hit a carrier with corrosion missiles while the bubble shield is still up, and it will indeed show the corrosion effect as if it was working properly. However, there will be no damage done to the carrier until the link drones have been taken out. As you can see in the video, hitting with the corrosion missile when the shield is down will effect it properly, but once the shield comes back up, no further damage is done until it has been dropped again.

Some additional thoughts now that I've had the time to think about things, but not test them. If one were to use drone override, would our taking control of the link drones cause the shield to drop? Could we use the shield disruptor device to completely kill the shield for a time? If any of you have tested these things out, please do share the experience.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,097Moderator, Space Cat
    Thanks for the further clarification of your experience regarding Corrosion Missiles, @Nenacu !
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,044Moderator
    Thanks for the input, I think there's probably room for 1 or 2 more secondaries, we'll discuss it here.
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 562Moderator
    Nenacu said:

Some additional thoughts now that I've had the time to think about things, but not test them. If one were to use drone override, would our taking control of the link drones cause the shield to drop? Could we use the shield disruptor device to completely kill the shield for a time? If any of you have tested these things out, please do share the experience.

Hi! Using drone override will not work since the Drone Carrier will reverse the effect after some seconds. Also the shield-disruptor won't work because it is not a standard shield device.
    We will discuss what we can do to bring the Shield Disruptor and the Corrosion Missiles to some use here. Thanks!
  • THEWOMPTHEWOMP Posts: 9Member
    Thanks for the tables.
    I agree that the corrosion missile could be buffed a little. I don't like the idea of a black hole weapon unless it is like a key to the endgame or something, far too over-powered. Also i don't like the idea of hull buster / piercing missiles because they'd be too over-powered on the other side, by which i mean if the enemy were to use them against the player then their scout / interceptor would be dead as.
    I was thinking about a weaker version of the stasis-type missile, like a remote hack that temporarily disables weapons & devices only instead of everything, possibly combined with some mild damage, call it a system-shock or something. In principle I like your idea of a nullification missile, though again if the enemy were to use such a thing against the player it would be like a sneaky nerf of the ShieldXC.
    Having said all this, there are already more secondary weapons that i will ever find a use for, or have the slots to carry.
    THEWOMP said:

I was thinking about a weaker version of the stasis-type missile, like a remote hack that temporarily disables weapons & devices only instead of everything, possibly combined with some mild damage, call it a system-shock or something.

That's a fantastic little idea. I could see a lot of functionality to a missile that could disable an opponent's weapon for a brief amount of time, and I could also see that as a fair tool to put in the hands of our enemies as well. Would give the player more incentives to evade or shoot down that oncoming projectile, especially in the Gunship.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,044Moderator
    edited December 2016
    THEWOMP said:

I was thinking about a weaker version of the stasis-type missile, like a remote hack that temporarily disables weapons & devices only instead of everything, possibly combined with some mild damage, call it a system-shock or something.

I like this idea as well, some sort of jammer missile. Might also be intereseting for targeting the player, as @Giraffasaur pointed out - maybe being unable to fire weapons would be too strong, but probably prevent the usage of active devices or consumables for a certain amount of time. Or it could temporarily overheat 2 random components (like what happens in the solar natural hazard) - I guess we'll follow up on this

Just thought of another great little secondary weapon:

The Remote Missile would be similar to that of a Plasma Torpedo; it fires in a straight line and deals heavy damage. The difference is that the Remote Missile triggers when you tell it to (by hitting the secondary weapon button again), and it explodes dealing damage in a sizeable area (something like an AoE of 250m).

Because it would be harder to hit with due to it being manually activated (with the area of effect in mind as well), I think it should do a little more damage than a Heavy Missile. Perhaps 400 hull points and 300 shield points, even. But unlike every single missile in the game, I could see this missile's resource cost being almost identical to that of a Heavy Missile, putting the type of crafted weapon in the hands of the player (instead of relying on what is available at the time).
  • ROCKFISH_MichaelROCKFISH_Michael Posts: 373Administrator
    Sounds like a simpler version of this: http://galaxyonfire.wikia.com/wiki/Liberator

;)
  • SteamBrainsSteamBrains Posts: 72Space Cat
    I think corrosion missiles are great, you can just pop one at a pesky Okkar if he's tailing you, pull a few evasive maneuvers and then your good. I think their very useful and always craft some. Their great against corvettes sometimes too, in the event that there are 3+ sheild drones and you don't want to craft a drone override for whatever reason, you can just pop 4-5 at the corvette and then it's done! I love their concept, and I find them pretty useful. But yeah something against link drone carriers would be super cool. The idea for new secondaries were really cool!