A critical examination of the Gunship

NenacuNenacu Posts: 69Customer, Collector Beta Backer
edited December 2016 in GAMEPLAY
Well, I've finally had enough time behind the ship to get a good feel of what does and doesn't work. Trying to keep this below the character limit for the forum, so I'll launch right into things with the full perk stats.

Full Perk Load

Hull Hitpoints: 1,300
Armor: 30%
No shields
Energy Core Cap: 240
Core Recharge: 7/s
Max Jumps: 6
Jump Charge Duration: 6s
Primary Weapon Slots: 4
Secondary Weapon Slots: 5
Device Slots: 4
Consumable Slots: 6
Cruise Speed: 130 m/s
Boost Speed: 292.5 m/s
Sensor Strength: 100%

We also come stock with a Fusion Blaster, Flak Cannon, 10 Heavy Missiles, 5 Mine Clusters, Gatling Turret, 2 Scanning Probes, and 4 Combat Drones.
*The Gunship is the only ship that can use the new turrets.
**The Gunship is also the only ship that can have multiple drones out at once.

What You Don't Have Access To
Shock Rifles
Coil Guns
Thermo Guns
Stasis Missiles
Cloak
Front Shield Generators
Shields and Shield XCs
Sub-Routine: Daredevil
Teleporters
Shield Charge Drones
Shield Boosters

Now, let's break down what the ship is good and bad at, referencing these stats.

Combat

More than the other two ships for a certainty. With so many hull points and the static 30% reduction of all damage to the ship, you'll be able to stick in a fight for quite a while. This is a good thing, because we don't have a shield to fall back on or engines fast enough to be tricky and dodge things. The important thing to note with this ship is this. It's not the amount of damage you can do with one source, it's the amount of damage sources you can use at the same time. Standard heavy combat with this ship (for me) follows roughly this pattern. Make sure three combat drones are out if at all possible>Activate turret>Lock on to biggest threat and allow drones and turret to fire at whatever they will. If you look at the potential loadout slots we have with this ship, you'll find that secondary weapons can be plentiful. This is also very important to the above statement of multiple damage sources. Be sure you have a variety of secondary weapons in your kit and use them as necessary. My preferred weapon with this ship lies somewhere between Flak I and Beam II depending on the target. I should note here that all weapons seem more accurate with this ship due in part to the hardpoint placements being on the nose rather than under the wings.

Now, because you don't have shields, you will be taking quite a lot of damage. Even with that 30% reduction, the lack of movement speed means that things will be chewing through your hull if you aren't putting out enough damage sources at once. This is why the ship also comes with a 25 nanobot capacity. Still, even that can feel like it's not enough. I highly recommend spending the first few sectors building out nano injectors to use in case of emergency. Having an Energized boost on your ship can be a lifesaver in combat situations as well. Since you have no shields, there is little to no drawback in using it to put some distance in combat or even to get closer to the big scary ships.

Exploration

We are slow. We are lumbering. About the fastest way to get around with this ship is to strap an Energized Boost Mk3 on it. This might actually be one of the more important devices to put on the ship if you really want to scrounge for resources. See, we have a problem with this guy and black holes. For most of the Dark Matter and Dark Energy, it's too close to the center of the black hole for the ship to get to and escape under its own power. This is where the Energized boost comes into play. For those of you worrying about sector 7 and the friendly black hole there, I can assure you that it's completely possible to finish. At least while using the build that I tend to favor.

Here's an important note for the Gunship. As slow as it is, resources are more important for it than any of the other ships. Because you have to output so many different types of damage to stay on top of things, resource scarcity can really bite you on this one. Specifically, lack of gas, ore, scrap, and processors can put some serious hurt on your damage output, each of those being needed for combat drones. Try to pick and choose your fights carefully while methodically going through the area to pick up as many resources as you can.

Challenges

These may be fairly subjective, but I feel that the greatest challenges for the Gunship and the best ways of dealing with them in the current game are as follows.

Frigate: This thing is massive and scary. You don't have the speed, stealth, or range to deal with it as you can in the Interceptor or the Scout. Instead, you need to Alpha strike the thing down as fast as possible. Hard hitting secondary weapons like the Arc 9000 or Plasma Torpedoes are your best bet. With the Arc, try to hit as many of the nodules at a time as you possibly can. Most of the time, you can take a Frigate down with two well placed Arcs. Plasma Torpedoes are also excellent because the Frigate doesn't move. You can aim for a nodule and let a torpedo fly from a respectable distance. If all else fails, fall back on the Flak Cannon and try to stay at maximum range. Of course, discretion is the better part of valor, so there's no shame in using a jump stabilizer to get away without having to use a lot of resources that could help in other places.

Drone Carrier: Absolutely terrifying under the wrong conditions. These guys send out their own drone cloud and cannot be hurt until you have taken that cloud out. The problem is, Elite versions put out more drones and put them out faster after the cloud goes down, so be ready to hammer the thing with secondary fire as soon as the bubble shield drops. Another nasty thing that they can do to you is steal your drones away. This is especially bad if you are still heavily relying on your drones for a lot of your damage by the time the carriers start cropping up. About the best way I have found to deal with them is to lock on to the carrier itself and then use the Flak Cannon to pop the drones at a distance. Close in on the carrier and hammer it with all the secondary fire you can. If you can, at all, avoid tangling with one of these guys, I highly suggest it. (Side note to @ROCKFISH_Andi here. It seems that there is a bug currently with Carriers that have jump suppressors on them. Destroying them does not lift the suppression. This is not personal experience though, just something I've heard from a couple friends.)

Corvettes: Not the most frightening thing, but still something to be cautious of. Like the Drone Carrier, hit the shield charge drones with flak fire while concentrating on the Corvette itself. Once the drones are down, switch to a weapon that does better against single target such as Beam Lasers. Odds are, you'll take some hammering from them, but nothing that you shouldn't be able to handle.

My Preferred Build

I'll now outline how I tend to run the ship. This is entirely subjective, but it works well for me most times.

Primary:
Flak Cannon
Beam II
Pulse II
Open

Secondary:
Heavy Missiles
Heavy Missiles
Shield Breaker Missiles
Plasma Torpedoes
Plasma Torpedoes
Arc 9000/Plasma Torpedoes

Devices:
Laser Turret
Energized Boost Mk3
Sub-Routine: Propulsion
Adaptive Armor (Whatever version drops through play. Hope for Mk3 of Course.)

Consumables
Scanning Probes (Until Sector 5)/Jump Stabilizer (After Sector 5)
Combat Drones
Nano Injector Mk3
Damage Boosters
Damage Limiters
Open

Additional Notes: I don't find it as important to spend resources on adding modules to weapons with this ship as with others. I will, however, put cooldown mods on the Energized Boost. The more often you can use that, the better for exploration and survival. Pulse II is used for boxes.

Comments

• NenacuNenacu Posts: 69Customer, Collector Beta Backer
    edited December 2016
    Things were getting a bit long, so allow me to add my final thoughts in a new post.

Final Thoughts

The ship feels fantastic and I adore how different it is from the other two. That said, there are currently some balance issues in my opinion. Drone Carriers feel far too powerful compared to the Gunship. I understand the ability to steal away the drones, but I don't think there is any comparable challenge for the other two ships at the moment. As strong as the ship feels, it struggles incredibly hard against resource starvation. Especially when you're in the first few sectors and gas simply won't spawn or show up in shops. I understand making the ship slower, but perhaps that went a little too far. I almost have to rely on Sub-Routine Propulsion and Energized Boost to do any resource scooping from black holes, whereas the interceptor seems to have enough stock boost to get out relatively easily. (Or at least it used to)

For as strong as the ship is, it's quite easily crippled if any source of damage is taken away really.

And here you have it! Please do feel free to discuss this or let me know how you've been doing with the Gunship. I'm interested in hearing other opinions, experiences, and builds that work with this guy.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited December 2016
    I have to say, my line of thinking of the Gunship is similar to yours (with very few differences of opinions). But with the emphasis of the Gunship being function over form, I think it needs a bit more in the utility of mobility (but not movement itself). I was saving some thoughts for when I had a better grasp of the Gunship, but I feel your post is an appropriate time to discuss it.

GUNSHIP PERK SUGGESTION
    I think the Gunship would do nicely with a Free-Movement Perk (which could really use a better name, but I digress). At every successive upgrade, the Gunship would gain a resistance to outside forces that could push/pull the ship. At level 1, 20% resist. Level 2, 40%. Level 3 for 60% resist, and even level 4 for a whopping 80%. Important to note: This would ALSO affect the Gunship's Drones.

In application: This Perk would make Black Holes much more manageable, only having to deal with a percentage of the pull instead of the full force. But it doesn't end there; this Perk would also reduce the hindrance of Stasis Drones, and huge explosions (like that of an Okkar Corvette) would not throw the ship sideways if too close, either. Heck, even missiles that connected with the player wouldn't cause them to shift around, even slightly, and Mines would have a severely diminished chance of bouncing the player around. The Gunship would take it like a tank, appropriately enough.

GUNSHIP CONSUMABLE SUGGESTION
    I had some conversations with individuals during the streams, and this idea is somewhat inspired by the ideas of others (albeit modified for the Gunship's theming).

With an intrinsic disadvantage to exploration due to the sluggish nature of the Gunship, it could use a little assistance picking loot up. What if there was a Drone that did that for you? Similar to the G&B Mining Drones, a Scavenger Drone could be launched to collect any nearby resources. It's range would be considerably larger than a Tractor Beam, but it would take up a Drone slot. Unlike the Tractor Beam, it might be possible for the Scavenger to "bump" loot containers or harvest resource points to force them to drop.

Regarding the G&B, the Scavenger Drone would not collect neutral containers, but if gone hostile, it could go in for a quick scoop.

I think the collection of resources/loot should be instantaneous, meaning the Scavenger doesn't have to return to the Gunship to "drop them off." After all, we're not looking for simulation, we're looking for functionality.

SUMMARY
    I agree with a lot of what @Nenacu has said about the current iteration of the Gunship, and I think it could do a little better with having more utility at it's disposal. Being able to nullify outside forces on the ship and give it some tools for harvesting resources/loot a little easier would provide the tools to capitalize on any given run based on the player's management of said tools at their disposal.

I'm still working on that no-Perk Hard mode Gunship run, too. Still haven't pushed past Sector 3 yet. SO MUCH COMPONENT DAMAGE.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,044Moderator
    Thanks for the well written post and all the input! I agree that the Gunship needs tweaking. I just mentioned in another post that we'll give it another startup device slot, increase the armor and probably also energy capacity and/or regeneration. More perks are in the cards as well.

How do you feel about drones as per default travelling with you (for all ships)? And the benefit of the gunship being the increased number/increased hull/increased shields, maybe even having full health after jumps?

@Nenacu Thanks for pointing out the issue with the jump suppressor? Do you maybe have a link to a video where this is occuring? In any case, please keep an eye out for the problem.
    @ROCKFISH_Andi Sadly, the glitch isn't something I've come into contact with myself. As I said, it was heard from a friend of mine who claims he encountered it twice in his games. If I do encounter it myself, you can be sure I'll post more detailed information/video about it.

An extra device slot and energy regeneration would put the ship closer to the right spot IMO. I don't think there's any problem with the max capacity, but it could do with a bit faster of a regen.

I love that the drones can travel along with the Gunship, but it does seem like something that was missing from all ships as a base feature now that we have it. In my discussions with other players, we've been talking about ways to potentially solve the resource cost to running drones on the ship. I would be remiss if I did not post their ideas, though I don't necessarily agree. Personally, I would like to see the Gunship able to have the ability to repair the drones. In system would be fantastic, but if they repair after a jump that would also be pretty nice. Having more health and shields would also go a long way to making them more viable past sector 4 as well as, perhaps, a perk to keep them from being overridden? That my be a bit specific, but they are very strong weapons in the hands of a drone carrier.

Now, on to the ideas I've heard.

-Drone Creation Device
    They had suggested that devices be made that, after a certain cooldown would be able to produce a single drone. Perhaps even once per jump. The device would have to be separated out for each of the drone types of course.

-Drone Repair Mechanic
    Either a device or an innate ability of the Gunship itself. Being able to repair the drones already out with a fairly common resource to expend. For example, using scrap to patch up your drones instead of having to create new ones every time. You wouldn't be able to repair them after destruction, so you would have to watch their health fairly carefully as you go along.
    @ROCKFISH_Andi , I really like the idea of the player being able to maximize the Drone to it's fullest (until it is destroyed); being able to jump to the next location so long as it's still active seems to be a natural fit for ALL the ships, with the Gunship gaining the upper hand in using multiples.

@Nenacu Maybe an alteration to the Gunship's Drone Perk would be remove the tier that makes them last through to the next area (since it sounds like this is being overruled) and implementing the "cannot be Overridden" feature to replace that Perk.

I think the Drone Creation Device is a particularly interesting suggestion. Using a Device slot to gain free Consumables seems like a tactical trade, and I love more options. Not sure there would need to be a slew of different types of Drones, though.

Also, has the team explored a Drone Control component for the Gunship (since it lacks the Shield component)? This could provide automatic Drone healing (at a very, VERY slow rate). So, when damaged, the player's Drones wouldn't heal, and maybe the number of active Drones is reduced by 1 until it's fixed as well.
  • ES_6413ES_6413 Posts: 3Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
    edited January 2017
    I also agree that carrying over drones should be available for all ships. Maybe split the drone perks into pilot perks (carry over, hull enhancement, shield) and ship perks (2, 3, ... drones, maybe further options, only for gunship). That would make sense to me.

In regard to the gunship itself, so far I think it lacks in endurance. With every tiny hit going right into the hull (sometimes even your own drones bump into you, great :-\), it's quite hard to stay alive long-term, not to mention component damage. I'm not quire sure what the best method of fixing that would be though.

From a logical point of view, I can understand that one might design a gunship without shields in order to allocate the energy elsewhere. The turrets would be that "elsewhere" currently, but this component doesn't seem to be worth it.
    Maybe it should still have a shield, but a different one. A shield a bit like the front shield generator for example: A shield that's always active and impenetrable (not limited to damage from the front) but only for a very short duration (shorter than the FSG) and also doesn't recharge but either is up or down. This way you could actually (or rather have to) make use of the high damage output within a short amount of time in order to end the fight quickly.
    Otherwise, maybe drones need to fill in. Like an optional shield generator drone (external shield generator basically), so the player can decide to what extent drones are allocated offensively and defensively.
    Or if shields are out of the question, the options of repairing the ship need to be expanded. Maybe a repair drone that slowly repairs the ship over time. Or more efficient use of or more frequent acquisition of nano-bots (for the interceptor ship I think the game provides me with plenty of nano-bots, but far too few for the gunship). Though in regrard to the nano-bots I can hardly find a logical reason for restriction to the gunship class.

In regard to drones though: Would it be possible to give them a less annoying sound please?
  • botcrusherbotcrusher Posts: 5Member
    I've seen in other games and media that gunships equipped without a main shield making use of directional shields to good effect, such a shield would deploy in the direction you are aiming, since the FSG would be much less effective given you have the turning radius of a large whale.
  • CroothCrooth Posts: 1Member
    I've enjoyed the gunship so far - its bruiser approach is quite fun. And I'm a new player - I just got the game and spent my first 10k from a run on the gunship.

Taking out the corvette was a blast - break down its shields and finish it off with heavy missiles.

However, the ship subsystems seem to take damage way too easily compared to the ships with shields. I've had to repair life support on the gunship on nearly every run while on the shielded ships I've maybe had to do that once? And don't even talk about what happens when the device pods are damaged - which feels like can happen at any time - losing your turret pretty much ends your run. I feel this needs to be tuned a little so that the ship has much less chance to take component damage until its hull is down 50% or something.

Collisions are another problem. The gunship takes too much damage from it. It is also quite annoying to lose hull from a collision while trying to extract crystal. Again, the shielded ships just don't have that challenge. I don't think you should take damage from running into drones (yours or enemy).

How about making it so gunships don't take collision damage at all? Maybe its a perk for reinforced hull or something? I don't think this would make the ship over powered but it would open up a cool, safe, ramming mechanic. :smile:
  • botcrusherbotcrusher Posts: 5Member
    Personally, I could think of two ways around the problem of mining with the gunship. The first one would be the above mentioned immunity or resistance to crash damage. The second would also help with resource scarcity in general, by getting your own mining drones.
  • ForavenForaven Posts: 116Member
    While i like the concept of the gunship, i do feel it's current iteration is a lot less effective than the other classes of ships. We may be tough but we are easy to hit and all damage we take must be repaired. Missiles are especially crippling to us because they more often than not break something we may not have the resources to fix. I find it extremely challenging to survive even halfway through the run with this ship while the other 2 seem a lot easier to survive into. Also, we really do need to use missiles and drones because we want fights to be over as soon as possible to avoid costly damage, long drawn out fights are advantageous to our foes since most of them have shields. Resource scarcity is a real problem for this ship compared to the other 2.
  • selonianthselonianth Posts: 8Member
    edited February 2017
    Also a newer player but I have to say I really agree with a lot of the above points. The Gunship is a fun ship purely based on it's ideal of "Come at me!" but at the same time it really does suffer a lot from not having a shield and every single ounce of damage you take being non-regenerative.

Running this ship means you spend a lot of time running around trying to find resources, and sometimes just not getting them due to bad RNG, thus running out of HP much earlier on than other ships, making it bend far more to the whims of RNJesus than the scout or interceptor. That's not taking into account that it's so slow that even if the resources *are* present you tend to need to flee anyway because Interceptors show up even if you can see the Gas you so desperately need less than a km away.

Honestly the biggest reason it's so resource hungry that I can see is the constant need to repair. The best way I can think to fix that without simply swapping some of it's massive HP bar for shield is buffing it's armor a tad, or giving it a bit more of it from the get go. It feels like it's designed to fight like a tank... but other than just having a decent amount of health it doesn't feel like it actually... does so sometimes. As others have noted it's lack of shields make it so it can, and will, take a *lot* more damage from bouncing off things than other ships might, and additionally is a lot easier to accidentally bounce off things with because of the increased size.
    edited February 2017

The best way I can think to fix that without simply swapping some of it's massive HP bar for shield is buffing it's armor a tad, or giving it a bit more of it from the get go. It feels like it's designed to fight like a tank... but other than just having a decent amount of health it doesn't feel like it actually... does so sometimes. As others have noted it's lack of shields make it so it can, and will, take a *lot* more damage from bouncing off things than other ships might, and additionally is a lot easier to accidentally bounce off things with because of the increased size.

You'll be pleased to know that the Gunship will be receiving a boost to it's base Armor upon the next patch, due out this month. We'll be seeing several other changes to the ship, as well as tweaks to the others, which will be revealed in the coming weeks for both XBox and PC pilots alike.
  • ForavenForaven Posts: 116Member
    Yup, it received it's buff in the last version. However it is still harder to play than the other ships since it's big, slow and devoid of regenerating shields. Having the front shield help, but since it's a timed device and only protect the front, you can't rely on this. The turret remain the best perk of the gunship, and now that it cooldown faster we use it a lot more than before.
  • WjndWalk3rWjndWalk3r Posts: 13Member
    Foraven said:

Yup, it received it's buff in the last version. However it is still harder to play than the other ships since it's big, slow and devoid of regenerating shields. Having the front shield help, but since it's a timed device and only protect the front, you can't rely on this. The turret remain the best perk of the gunship, and now that it cooldown faster we use it a lot more than before.

Yes xD the turret took down the corvette faster than my flak cannon lol
    edited March 2017
    The buffs have made the Gunship a lot more fun to fly, for sure! Though it seems there has been a shift of the "required to have Adaptive Armor" to "required to have Front Shield Generator." The energy buffs have been outstanding, and the expanded ship space makes for a combination of more utility.

Still, I do think the Gunship should have the ability to have more mobility from other devices than just the Energized Boost. I truly feel that having the Teleporter accessible on the Gunship would alleviate the deficiencies created by it's slow movement, especially because it requires energy as it's movement (and now has more of that to go around).

Maybe there could be a consumable that could increase movement/boost speed by 30%/45%/60% (for each mark, respectively), for a short amount of time?

At the end of the day, the Gunship 0.4 is in a way better place than the 0.3 version ever could be. Really enjoying the chances, it's getting there.
    edited March 2017
    I think the mobility is okay. The gunship deserve an weaker a bit version but alway online auto turret (maybe there is an turn off and on for the turret, turn it on will cost you 10-20% of your full power pool, so now you can just use everything else in 85-90% left, like activating the aura in Titan quest. Turn it off to have full energy pool to use, and the activate skill of the turret maybe buff more dmg to it for few seconds) I'm sure buffing the drone and the turret more will help shaping the role of the gunship in both action and tatical, not just a big, slow lady B)

I think the mobility is okay. The gunship deserve an weaker a bit version but alway online auto turret (maybe there is an turn off and on for the turret, turn it on will cost you 10-20% of your full power pool, so now you can just use everything else in 85-90% left, like activating the aura in Titan quest. Turn it off to have full energy pool to use, and the activate skill of the turret maybe buff more dmg to it for few seconds) I'm sure buffing the drone and the turret more will help shaping the role of the gunship in both action and tatical, not just a big, slow lady B)

• exwhyzeeexwhyzee Posts: 19Member
    Has anyone tested the mobility with a Black Hole/ Final Mission yet?
    Black Holes are very problematic to the Gunship, but there is a trump card. I keep Energized Boost handy to collect as many resources as possible, as well as escape Black Holes.

The final mission is definitely doable without the need of additional mobility Devices though; it's just a matter of spacing with the Gunship at that point. At least, it was fine in v0.3. I don't believe speed changes have been made between the previous iteration and v0.4.
    I clear the game for the first time with a gunship in easy mode right after update. Equipped both normal speed enhancement and Energized Boost MK3. I need to kick afterburner whole time to try keep the ship in the hacking range (blackhole suck me the whole time while hacking lol, luckily i have energy capacity mk3 equip so i can sustain my afterburner the whole time) I cant make myself stuck in the wreck to hack, it stuck a bit but the whole ship turn like crazy even in 3rd person camera, force me ro risk turn my tail to the blackhole and hack it :D
  • troopitroopi Posts: 83Member
    Havent' done it yet, but I suppose the time extender device can give you time enough to hack the wreck without being pulled by the black hole.
    Regarding the gunship, what I have to say is that having no shields limits a lot the way to play it.
    But some devices would be interesting to add different play styles:
    - gravity anchor - the gunship drifts more, has more increased base speed, but no boost. The boost instead is changed to a gravity anchor - it stops the ship in place, reducing the push/pull effect of missiles, and even black holes. While active, it also reduces drastically the damage from hitting objects (can be timely used to ram enemy ships)
    - auto-repair - the ships uses energy to slowly repair hull and devices (slowly. It can take a lot of time, enough to waste your stay until the interceptors arrive)
    - or a nanobot generator - that slowly recharges your nanobot store. (!slowly!)

Oh, that gave me another idea for a glyph
    - ancient repairbot - allows you to call an ancient bot from time to time, to repair your hull and modules.

Cheers
    Interestingly, time extender doesn't help with hacking anything. That also slows down with everything else. Not sure whether or not it should or is supposed to, but that's how it goes at the moment.
    edited April 2017
    Nenacu said:

Interestingly, time extender doesn't help with hacking anything. That also slows down with everything else. Not sure whether or not it should or is supposed to, but that's how it goes at the moment.

I kind of felt like that was how it was intended to be used. Though if hacking was normal speed while using Time Extender, it could prove to be a unique way to get past Suppressors. Hmm.

I don't think it's necessarily in need of change, myself. But I don't think it would hurt if this was adjusted, either.
  • troopitroopi Posts: 83Member
    I used the time extender at the final area, to hack the wreck device without being sucked by the black hole. It still sucked, but very slowly, so I could fine tune the ship's thrust to avoid any collisions while hacking.
  • DerpFromAboveDerpFromAbove Posts: 6Member
    Front shields are available to gunships.
    (they are ONLY available to gunships in fact). Perfect for tackling enemies headon, as long as you aren't surrounded you'll be fine. Just remember to mod it for duration and/or cooldown and it should last you through most fights and let you happily blast away against a corvette while ignoring all incoming fire
  • While drone carriers are a major annoyance, they don't honestly pose much of a threat to the gunship. I absolutely LOATHE having to murder my own drones, then replace them--but that's mostly just a huge tax for engaging a drone carrier. The drone swarm is very easily dealt with between flack cannons and turrets. Once the drones are down, which doesn't take long, I crack the carrier in half life a melon.

I will reiterate my core point in any discussion of the gunship. It needs ordinary shields. All of it's special exceptions and gimmicks are all trying to compensate for its lack of ordinary shields. Give it normal shields, tone back the gimmicks to earlier versions, and all is solved. The NPC gunships have them, and it's perfectly fair while still making them formidable.
  • DerpFromAboveDerpFromAbove Posts: 6Member
    Nah, I'd keep it the way it is.
    If you'd just give it shields and toned down it's special gimmicks, you'd essentially turn it into an oversized colonial interceptor.

While such a thing can be done, it kind of misses the point of the ship classes.
    The point is to make a small number of ships that specialize in a certain type of gameplay with as little overlapping as possible:

1) The interceptor:
    A multipurpose medium fighter, a jack of all trades, but master of none. Designed for good old dogfighting

2) The Scout:
    Very light, fast and stealthy. For hit'n run tactics (or simply even more fancy dogfighting stunts)

3) The Gunship:
    Slow, sturdy and hard-hitting. Less for dogfighting, more for soaking up and dishing out damage. It's lack of shields encourages the use of front shields and it's manuverability (or the lack thereof) encourages the use of drones/the turret. Can't really see much of a need to change any of that

4) The Sentinel (Encounters DLC)
    Electronic warfare ship. Quite interesting actually and opens up for some pretty creative ways of dealing with your enemies...
  • EldragonEldragon Posts: 6Member
    If front shields on the Gunship were stock equipment then I would maybe consider it a design choice. As it stands front shields are mandatory and I'd rather just give it regular shields. ...Or let it create nanbots.

Its far too annoying to lose a run because the incidental hits slowly add up.
    edited November 2017
    Eldragon said:

If front shields on the Gunship were stock equipment then I would maybe consider it a design choice. As it stands front shields are mandatory and I'd rather just give it regular shields. ...Or let it create nanbots.

Front Shield Generator is one of the starting loadout options, just not on Loadout A. Also, you can (and should) craft Nanobot Injectors for storing well over 25 effective nanobots, especially since the Gunship has the most Consumable slots.
  • EldragonEldragon Posts: 6Member
    edited November 2017

Eldragon said:

Front Shield Generator is one of the starting loadout options, just not on Loadout A. Also, you can (and should) craft Nanobot Injectors for storing well over 25 effective nanobots, especially since the Gunship has the most Consumable slots.
    You're kind of reinforcing my point. If Front Shield and/or Nanobot injectors were stock, it would be more a well defined design decision. Instead we get neither of these, and Nanobot injectors cost Dark Matter; which I don't find that much of. So the "out of the box" gunship puts the player at a distinct disadvantage which is only overcome buy hoping the RNG gods smile upon you.

Edit: Looks like the injector costs 5 Nanobots and Dark Matter. So its only worth crafting if you're nearly full up on Nanobots.