Perk/Device suggestion

ES_8146ES_8146 Posts: 2Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog
I find it annoying to pause the game to perform simple task such as crafting of often used consumables. Or hitting the panic button (aka Tab) to pause the game and use a damage limiter.

It would be a nice feature to have someone do those things for you. I’m not quite sure if this is a good idea, and it is worth the time and programming effort (and if it is doable, especially a console gaming friendly user interface to “program” the AI), but maybe you want to pick up this idea.

Perk: Automatic assistance (or whatever name you please) OR: Device: Maintenance Droid
Allows to set up your AI/driod to perform tasks for you automatically, such as but not limited to (different upgrades):
Activate damage reduction under heavy fire
Use nanobots if hull is below xx%
Use energy injector if you use mod/weapon without sufficient energy
Automatically craft Consumables (Rockets, Energy Cores) upon usage, if you have sufficient resources

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited December 2016
    These are interesting ideas for sure, though I'm not sure if automation is the right path for the many different options available in the current version of the game (likely with more to come by release).

I wonder if it would be possible to lock a slot in the inventory to a particular item though, so you could single-click craft to refill it (if empty) instead of clicking the craft button, finding the item and clicking to craft it.

Here's another idea, as well:
    Maybe a middle ground would be Powerups? For instance, a little floating Sword would give a 5% damage boost for 20 seconds, or a little floating Shield would boost hull armor by 5%. If multiples were picked up within the 20 second time, it would reset the timer to 20 and stack (so 5% would go to 10%). Something like this would need to cap at, say, 5 stacks (25% bonus for 20 seconds).

This arcade-styled idea would change a bit of the crafting aspects of the game, but I think it could help reduce the "panic button" usage and keep players in the action, guns blazing.

At the same time, I'm not sure I like the idea, myself. I really enjoy the resource management aspect of Everspace (and in some times wish there was more emphasis on it).
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,054Moderator
    Thanks for the suggestions. It would probably make the game too complicated, but we might take a few of your ideas and turn them into perks/devices/consumables