Update 0.3.0.29930

2»

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    edited December 2016

Maybe this suggestion has been made elsewhere but perhaps with the altering of the perk structure you could add an option to reinvest the credits you've spent upgrading? I'm fully upgraded on everything on Xbox including shields, so will I be losing all those credits?

*Disclaimer: The statements below are my own comments and do not reflect Rockfish Game's point-of-view.*

Spent Credits on Perks in a previous version will be lost upon updating. I'll also say this: Compensation would make a lot more sense if this change happened after full release, but I don't think we should look at it as a bad thing since it's still in development.

It's important that we as gamers recognize this is not a complete game, and as such must accept changes that benefit or hinder us on a whim without bias. Each version should be interacted with as it's own experience, and any carry-overs at all are a bonus. That's not to say we shouldn't compare the separate versions from one another, though; it is important to see how the game is changing in order to provide adequate feedback for the developers.

That said, I really like your idea of re-Perking. I'm not sure it would be fair to be able to unPerk and rePerk at will, though...but if the player could gain 70% of the Credits previously spent by "selling" a Perk, that might give players a little more flexibility in what they choose (or alter) for their runs.
  • LegionnistLegionnist Posts: 5Member
    While I - and I bet all the players here - understand what you mean with the in-development state of the game, I don't totally agree that we should be expecting all the rewards from the time we put in the game to be thrown in the garbage.
    Yes, the game is being worked on and everything and of course, feedback is important to improve it but one thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to lose the interest from players nor their enjoyment in trying out the game.
    Now, it is known that the gameplay of Everspace includes loops as in you go through that galaxy, reach the last level, win (or lose) and start over again with credits on the side. Really the main thing you're after when REplaying the game is the credits and seeing almost a hundred thousand of them disappear for "reasons" is not going to conserve this interest and enjoyment in players in my opinion. At least, it didn't for me.

I really like the idea of refunding 70% of the credits previously spent but I would also like to bring the fact that many, many enjoyable games I've played allow you to completely refund/reset your skills/perks and I have never felt anything bad about it.
    Actually, I think it would even be better if this was active in the Alpha/Beta version of the game. It would let us play around with it, try out different things, test, look for bugs and just experiment everything overall while in this processing state of the game. It is probably the best and most efficient way to improve it.
    edited December 2016
    @Legionnist I read your whole post and I can't argue with your perspective in the slightest. I sincerely respect your position.

From what I know about quality assurance testing, a new version of a game is meant to be playtested and balanced from a clean slate. In fact, when certain unlockable elements have carried over that have been altered from the previous version, it can sometimes give false information to the player/developers because the game is not experienced in the intended format (specifically without the unlockables in order to see what it's like building up to them).

It's also common for there to be "God-mode" switches so end-game content can be tested (amongst other things), but a lot of the individuals playing Everspace right now are gamers, not QA testers. So instead of having every resource at one's disposal, I can definitely see how it makes sense to carry over what each respective player has achieved from one version to the next. And I can also see why players would be frustrated losing the work they've put into the game.

Thank you for your post and perspective!
  • LegionnistLegionnist Posts: 5Member
    I expected you would agree if you got my point!
    Not too sure what you mean by saying that most individuals are gamers and not QA testers though. While I agree different individuals play the game differently, have different playstyles and invest their time and hope in the game in different proportions, I'm pretty sure the game would benefit from honoring the time early players have put into it. :P

My pleasure sharing my input! I like discussing stuff and believe it's the key to many things in life. :)
  • dreampagedreampage Posts: 15Member
    Does this mean that with every update we lose all progress we had in the game?
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,064Moderator
    dreampage said:

Up till now even save games from the Alpha version (April 2016) can be loaded. There was only a little progress lost as some perks were completely removed. But we cannot guarantee that there will never be a progress wipe (like in many Early Access title)
  • Bl4ckSh33pBl4ckSh33p GermanyPosts: 25Member
    But not all wipe. I hope we can keep it. :)

From Xbox news: "Pit People will be a low $15 throughout its time on Xbox Game Preview! Once the game has made its full release, the price point will be $20. Of course, if you purchase it during Game Preview the game will unlock all the features once the full release comes out and you’ll keep all of your save data,"
  • doobiesnaxdoobiesnax Posts: 21Member
    edited December 2016
    Hi all, new to the forum....can I ask, why was the decision made to remove all shield perks? For me, this was one of my main goals, to upgrade to max, as, being an aged player, I was finding it very hard.....
    The idea of the shields being as they were when I first started, with no perks to upgrade them, totally ruins the appeal of the game for me....

Edit: this doesn't belong here, but I can't for the life of me work out how to make a new post in a thread....do I need to be approved first before being given the option (I'm on iPad btw) or is it some type of iPad glitch (i.e., not being given the option to make a new post)
    Welcome to the forums, @doobiesnax ! I went ahead and approved your account so you should be able to post new threads now. ;-)

I'm fairly certain the reason for removing Shield Perks is to separate Shield-specific Perks from Shield-specific crafting. This way, if the player wants more Shields, they invest in crafting them during a run.

Something else to keep in mind: Everspace is going to be a challenging experience (as is the nature of most one-shot roguelikes), but the devs included Difficulty options so players may dive in more towards their desired level of play. That said, these elements may still be tweaked since we're still in Early Access.

What difficulty are you currently playing on? Are there any additions to the game that may help your enjoyment of Everspace?
  • doobiesnaxdoobiesnax Posts: 21Member
    edited December 2016
    Fantastic, thanks @Giraffasaur, I won't bombard this thread, so have started a new post in 'community' .
  • NavyAICSNavyAICS Posts: 7Member
    edited January 2017
    Well, it's now Jan 2017. Any news on V0.3 for XB1? Could a release even happen in Jan? Like previous posters have mentioned, I don't want to spend a bunch of credits on shield upgrades if I'm going to lose them. I've spent quite a bit already.
    -NavyAICS.
    With the full release projected in Q2 of this year, I think it's likely that we'll see a version update for the XBox somewhat soon. There were a lot of loops the dev team had to dive through to get v0.2 through, but here's hoping most of the issues have already been addressed!
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,064Moderator
    edited January 2017
    NavyAICS said:

Well, it's now Jan 2017. Any news on V0.3 for XB1?

Unfortunately there is a pretty ugly bug in the Unreal version that we're using in v0.3 that only happens on XB1. We will upgrade to a newer Unreal version (released just yesterday) soon in hope that this will fix the bug. Fingers crossed! However, even if everything turns out to be fine it makes more sense to skip the v.0.3 update and go straight to v.0.4 we're currently working on (otherwise we'd have to merge the newer Unreal Engine in a later game version, which can be very problematic), most likely to be released end of January

• FreezevortexFreezevortex Posts: 1Member
    Thanks alot for the info about the xbox update :) Hope the bug gets fixed soon!
    Hey everyone, just wanted to drop a little update the developers provided this morning via Twitter:

What this means is that some of the previous issues the developers were having using Unreal Engine should be resolved in the upcoming v0.4 patch, coming to ALL CURRENT PLATFORMS (not just Steam) planned for February. In addition to the code base, the game itself will be receiving some modifications and tweaks as well, including (but not limited to) Gunship buffs to armor and drones, Enhancement Perks for unique runs and much more for v0.4.
  • RhoddersRhodders Posts: 26Member

dreampage said:

Up till now even save games from the Alpha version (April 2016) can be loaded. There was only a little progress lost as some perks were completely removed. But we cannot guarantee that there will never be a progress wipe (like in many Early Access title)
    So there is a possibility we may have to go through the whole game again? Just to clarify. :)
    Not much of an issue, as long as the value of replaying is worth the wipe ;) It's a that good enough of a game anyway, and when (if??) a coherent story mode is introduced, it will like be starting a brand new, never before played game, right?