Ideas for greater differences between interceptors and scouts.

ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121
I know there will be more item restrictions between each fighter types but i think there could be more. Right now the Inty and and the Scout have the same firepower outside the weapon overdrive buff. The scout, due to it's great speed and ability to cloak can just get in and out of fight when it wants to, and can carry the same and as many weapons. I do think the interceptor should have an edge weapon wise even without the weapon overdrive. The scout already have the edge when it comes to chose when to fight and when to quit, and having the same firepower makes it much better as the game currently is. The scout is much smaller though, it would make sense if it had less weapons, especially less secondary ones (it got only one launcher after all). Stealth, sniping and surgical strike seem more appropriate for the scout, dogfighting should be the interceptor thing. The inty should thrive when things get close and personal, it's weapons and gears should be tuned toward that. More missiles would make sense, but also it's weapons should be better at shooting targets in dogfights...

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,317
    With the next patch you will have to upgrade ship specific perks (like number of slots, hull hitpoints, energy capacity) individually. (There will be a "pilot" perk tree which is shared and individial perk trees for each ship). So the scout will have a lot less weapon slots and hull hitpoints for example.
  • ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121

With the next patch you will have to upgrade ship specific perks (like number of slots, hull hitpoints, energy capacity) individually. (There will be a "pilot" perk tree which is shared and individial perk trees for each ship). So the scout will have a lot less weapon slots and hull hitpoints for example.

Nice. But firepower wise it doesn't change much. Carrying more weapons makes us more versatile, but we can do just as well with fewer main weapons fully upgraded, and secondary weapon capacity only matter when we can't manufacture missiles on the fly (ie no blueprints or not enough resources). Scouts and interceptors have basically the same firepower; guns works the same and they can shoot just as many missiles. The only difference is the scout may run out of juice first, but we can fix that with consumables and modules.

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2016
    Foraven said:

Scouts and interceptors have basically the same firepower; guns works the same and they can shoot just as many missiles. The only difference is the scout may run out of juice first, but we can fix that with consumables and modules.

Indeed, the Interceptor is much more "beginner-friendly" and the Scout is more "advanced," requiring a better understanding of the game and a few tactics. While the ships could use more variation from one another, I think this is a great direction for their distinctions.

Something else to keep in mind: While both ships have the same firepower, only the Interceptor has Weapon Overdrive. And that can turn the tide of a battle quickly to the player's favor.
  • ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121

Something else to keep in mind: While both ships have the same firepower, only the Interceptor has Weapon Overdrive. And that can turn the tide of a battle quickly to the player's favor.

I know, i just don't like relying on that module much. It can be quite powerful, especially combined with consumables, but often i need the space for other modules i find more useful. Once we have a healthy supply of missiles or few upgraded weapons, i don't feel the short burst of extra firepower is that meaningful. Of course i'm biased toward normal difficulty. I love dogfighting but i found out it's too unforgiving on hard difficulty. Running away from foes, sniping from range or trying to chew them up a handful at a time works well but isn't as much fun.

• troopitroopi Member Posts: 83
    I think that setting too much difference and specifications between the scout and the interceptor ships will leave too small a place for further player ships. I really would leave them at that; a difference in speed, shield and hit points. This way we can have space for fighter ships, bombers, gunboats, and whatever rockfish crams into the game.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2016
    troopi said:

I think that setting too much difference and specifications between the scout and the interceptor ships will leave too small a place for further player ships.

You make a valid point, though the game will have three playable ships at game launch (as indicated by their Kickstarter). From conversations around on the forums, it seems plausible to have multiple layouts per each ship, and future DLC is also possible.

It's important to know these details are on the table and therefore not confirmed, but they give me hope they will provide (and incentivize) new ways to experience Everspace.