What is the deal with the blackholes?

ForavenForaven Posts: 116Member
One thing seem to be sure to me, they aren't collapsed massive stars; there would not be anything left (besides some other star) in the whole star system if it was the case. They are either some kind of anomaly or the remaining effect of some super weapon used during the Colonial - Okkar war or earlier. Maybe they could be the side effects of collasped wormholes stations or the warp drive of a battleship? Many time we can see close by planets (even more obvious in sector 7), so they can't be more than mini blackholes of insufficient mass to affect nearby planets. Also, the game love to spawn stations, debris and asteroids quite close to them...

At least there must be a reason why they are so darn common :/ .

Comments

• BarryBarry Posts: 36Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog
    Yea, they do seem a little too common and things do appear 'really' close, the AI don't seem to care either....like it's just 'another' black hole....-BEEP- they even forget they are there and fly straight into them while patrolling the area.....Though I 'may' have aggro'd them a 'little' before hand! I guess they are the only way to get dark matter and energy? And as you need that for better weapons in later game (hence they appear later) they need to be more common. The AI could at least put warning beacons around them in busy areas and around stations so new commers to their system don't accidently fly into them......-BEEP- I even got sucked into one while making a bee line to a trader......way to go for potential 'customer' care!!!!
    Sorry for double post...why is my posted commented out with a '-BEEP-', I only said '-BEEP-' is that not allowed....I'm guessing not
    GOD -BEEP- IT!!!!
  • ForavenForaven Posts: 116Member
    Barry said:

Yea, they do seem a little too common and things do appear 'really' close, the AI don't seem to care either....like it's just 'another' black hole....-BEEP- they even forget they are there and fly straight into them while patrolling the area.....Though I 'may' have aggro'd them a 'little' before hand! I guess they are the only way to get dark matter and energy? And as you need that for better weapons in later game (hence they appear later) they need to be more common. The AI could at least put warning beacons around them in busy areas and around stations so new commers to their system don't accidently fly into them......-BEEP- I even got sucked into one while making a bee line to a trader......way to go for potential 'customer' care!!!!

Yup, the AI need some code to make them normally stay clear of black holes, and black holes should spawn farther away from busy stations and traders. As for the dark natter and energy, black holes are the only place you can grab them for free (but high risk), but traders are a better source when they do have them.
    A device that nullified a black hole may be fun, for those that sucks at black hole pick ups ie me lol
  • LavantantLavantant Posts: 1Member
    honestly my biggest problem is spawning into a foggy sector, trying to move around to see whats in the area, and immediately getting sucked up :pensive:
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,056Moderator, Space Cat
    Lavantant said:

honestly my biggest problem is spawning into a foggy sector, trying to move around to see whats in the area, and immediately getting sucked up :pensive:

Awareness is key!

Dark nebula can be really tricky in this regard, especially if there are resources floating about. Have to keep your eyes peeled, checking to see if there's a mass of Dark Energy / Dark Matter near one another!
  • invenioinvenio Posts: 101Member
    I love them, it's the easiest way to get dark matter and dark energy.
    invenio said:

Easiest? The easiest are taking it from very rare drops or buying them from vendors. Black holes are the most common occurrences, but also the hardest since you have to "dodge" a blackhole.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,056Moderator, Space Cat
    edited July 21
    Foraven said:

Easiest? The easiest are taking it from very rare drops or buying them from vendors. Black holes are the most common occurrences, but also the hardest since you have to "dodge" a blackhole.

In some circumstances, I would have to agree collecting Dark Energy/Matter is easiest from black holes because the materials are always present, not relying on random chance like from drops or vendors. The difficulty of procuring them from this hazard can be reduced (significantly, in some cases), based on which ship is being used, what Perks have been purchased, and what Devices are installed.

But there's always a chance of failure, resulting in the end of a run. So even when things have been made "easy," any slip up is devastating.
    Foraven said:

invenio said:

I almost never see vendors selling dark matter. Maybe once per run if I am lucky. Blackholes are easy picking and I completely clear them out every sector that has them. Haven't been sucked up in the past 30-40 runs.

The trick is to go at them parallel and get the loot as you sling shot around and do a little boost when getting close and then boost away once you hit the loot. Having a tractor beam equipped makes this even easier. The faster the ship the easier it is but it works on all of them. If using the dreadnaught I would recommend the tractor beam so that you can keep a bigger distance from the actual black hole as you fly by.

Again, essentially a 100% way to collect dark energy and dark matter every time.
    invenio said:

Again, essentially a 100% way to collect dark energy and dark matter every time.

I have long ago given up on getting dark energy and dark matter from blackholes. That cripple my crafting for sure, but generally I pick up plenty of cool stuff to make up for this.

In some circumstances, I would have to agree collecting Dark Energy/Matter is easiest from black holes because the materials are always present, not relying on random chance like from drops or vendors. The difficulty of procuring them from this hazard can be reduced (significantly, in some cases), based on which ship is being used, what Perks have been purchased, and what Devices are installed.

I would say easiest to find, but not easiest to get. Big difference :smiley: Usually get my Dark stuff from vendors, drops, scavenging wreaks and disassembly. Messed up too many times with black holes to even try anymore.

Foraven said:

invenio said:

I have long ago given up on getting dark energy and dark matter from blackholes. That cripple my crafting for sure, but generally I pick up plenty of cool stuff to make up for this.
    I find that I like to have a lot of dark matter to make MK3 nano bot injectors. By sector 6 I will usually have like 6 or more of them which makes me pretty much invincible.
  • JiseiJisei Posts: 10Member
    It's very easy to harvest black holes on Scout equipped with a teleporter ;) I actually feel safer around them when there are lots of red things flying around)
  • DerpFromAboveDerpFromAbove Posts: 6Member
    Well about how all those black holes came to be...
    How about this:

The black holes were created during a MASSIVE war fought by the ancients 1000+ years ago. After being blown up, their ships became black holes, much like the guardians of Ancient temples do.

Most of the black holes dissolved a long time ago, but the ones originating from the biggest/most powerful ships are still going.

That would explain their size (or the lack thereof) and why they are so absurdly common