[Suggestion] Better HUD distinction between ships/items

Something that gets on my nerves during runs is the HUD's poor distinction between ships, resources, and items. Ships (and drones?) and items have different symbols when you're looking at them, but when you're not, they're all yellow--so you end up with a bunch of yellow arrows all around your HUD with no way of knowing which is which. This gets really bad when you jump to a system with an active G&B mining outpost, where the drills vomit tons of single-stack ores or gas onto your HUD with no way to clear them off without scooping them all up.

It'd be nice if ships/drones, items, and resources were at least colored differently in the HUD to make it easier to distinguish between them without having to spin around to look at them. Having the ability to filter the HUD would be really nice as well.

Even better yet, why not use the resource symbols in addition to the colors? That way when you have a ton of stuff in view, things can be easily distinguished without having to put the crosshairs over each individual object.

Comments

• BarryBarry Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 36
    At first when reading this is thought 'I don't have a problem with the yellow markers'....but actually I love the idea of colour coded markets, something like yellow for ships, green for consumables and devices and blue for resources etc. However, not too many colours or the side of the hud could look like a Christmas tree light frame....thingy-mo-bob.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,102
    edited October 2016
    There have been a lot of requests surrounding the HUD/radar, and rightfully so. There have been several improvements to the indicators between ships, drones, turrets, regular containers, secure containers, mineable resources and collectibles. All of these changes have been made with tweaks to the scale of the indicators to help determine distance.

I agree that the radar starts going a little crazy at a G&B mining station with all the ores floating around, but it also makes a bit of sense that a resource-scanning radar would start to get a little hectic near a resource-mining operation. But I digress, it does get a bit busy.

I think your idea is on the right track, but I don't think each resource needs a different color. If the radar looked like a bag of Skittles, I think we may be introducing more problems than not [in the realm of aesthetics and design consistency].

I think there could be a couple subtle color additions, though. For instance, I think Faction colors would make sense to be displayed on the radar; G&B (non-hostile) could be ORANGE (instead of yellow) indicating a difference between the neutral resources/containers in the area and their own items. I also think distinguishing mineable resources (unmined) from dropped resources could be done graphically or with a subtle color change, as well.

While I could definitely appreciate a HUD/radar filter, I don't think the game is complicated enough to warrant it's creation.

All in all, there has been a bit of feedback surrounding the radar and how it is conveyed. If enough people are still struggling with reading the data it provides, Rockfish Games will swoop in and make the according adjustments. Feedback like this promotes that kind of change.
  • borkfborkf Member Posts: 12
    I think the G&B and neutral colours are actually slightly different (one is yellow, the other orange), but they aren't different enough for me to be able to tell most of the time, particularly on my TV. I'd definitely like to see a more noted colour difference, like blue or green for G&B.

I often find myself swinging around to look at G&B ships, thinking they're resources after moving around a bit.
  • Ecak12Ecak12 Member Posts: 6
    Hum, how about the idea of providing a color selector for different POI (resources, enemy, loot and such). Let players decide if they want to have a Christmas tree or neat color scheme on their HUD. More customize option is always better; plus this can be crucial for people with color blind or color weak.

E:D community has figure out how to do this through editing a .xml file. I wonder if similar effect can be achieved in Everspace too.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,102
    Hmmm, not a bad suggestion @Ecak12 . Giving the player control over their HUD/radar colors seems like it could alleviate a little bit of the distinctions, though I wonder when a gamer has too much control over their settings they end up hurting themselves without realizing it.

That said, I know the Rockfish team has been exploring color blind modes for the game.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • danowatdanowat Member Posts: 11
    Would being able to target each resource, like you can with enemies help?.

I also think each resource should have a specific colour and/or icon, I agree with OP, if you are in an area with a ton of resources, the whole screen just becomes a bit of a struggle.

There needs to be a lot of thought put into visibility of the UI, because it is a little bit of a muddled mess at the moment.
  • borkfborkf Member Posts: 12
    I agree with @danowat about targeting resources. It can be difficult to keep track of a heading when navigating through debris fields or around anomalies.

I can also have terrible hitting containers from time to time maybe if they were targetable but resources were not?