[LONG]First 90 min impression/report/request/w.e

TensETensE Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Booster Posts: 25
Oh boy where do I start. Graphics are pretty dope, but I wish devs would focus a bit less on graphics and a bit more on functionality for the Alpha release. That being said I can see this game being potentially enjoyable if there will be some story to it rather than random jump to jump kinda thing. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm comparing this to GOF too much, but that being said here's a list of things I found that need addressing:

Main Menu
-Options: Very limited!
-Why doesn't the game run Full Screen by default? The game was stuck in Window mode for me and when toggling the option would try to go FS, but fail and stay in window. Maximizing the window and then Alt Tabbing out would resize the window back. EVERY TIME. Hope this gets patched in the next update.
-Control options: Rebinding keys AND FOR GODS SAKE SENSITIVITY CONTROL. -also hoping for next patch
-Disabling the "Alpha Version" message at the start would also be nice
-More graphics options please? Could use some sliders for things like AA, Blur, Shadows. Maybe V-Sync option?
I'm hoping the Options will be separated in the future for Graphics, Sound, Controls etc like in most games. I assume when there will be some dialogue implemented controlling different sounds (music, Sound FX like blasters, voice etc.)

Game Play
-Decent, but gets repetitive very fast. Warp in. Kill 2-3 outlaws or/and 2-3 aliens. Hopefully find some stuff. Warp out. Maybe I just haven't gotten far enough. There's a reason for that though (see combat)
-Asteroid mining is cool. A bit more indication that it ran out of resources would be nice, but destroying the whole thing is also pretty interesting. However if I separate the asteroid in 2 parts I would expect it to become 2 asteroids not still bound as one. Here's an example of a chunk stuck to an invisible object model and not flying away. The mining animation with the smoke and the debris is nice though.
-Blow up useless fuel cells? Or any object for that matter to get some raw materials out of it maybe?
-Why do I keep finding modules that I can't install? I'd rather find blueprints and build it later. Starting off and finding something cool and not being able to equip it because you don't have slots (and you need all the starter stuff) is a bit disappointing.

Interface
-Pretty minimal which is nice. I think maybe implementing a globular radar would be cool to get a better idea where the objects/enemies are around you.
-Ship drifts without any input because the mouse is offset just a bit. Maybe create a center where the cursor returns when no input is given so the ship doesn't drift.
-Some objects (such as useless fuel cells) should not be tracked after a certain distance. I'm 10 km away and the orange circle is still there prompting me to check if it's maybe a new object, but nope... still the fuel cell.
-Also KM? Nothing against the metric system (actually all for it!) But it feels like the distance scale is a bit off. Huge asteroids, big space stations etc and yet the distance says so small. Maybe it's just me though.
-Locking onto objects would be helpful
-The Boost (R) and Target (T) are next to each other and are very easy to hit the wrong thing by accident (comes back to key rebinding)

Combat
-OH GOD PLEASE NERF!!! Finding myself in the open with 3 or more enemies and it's very unlikely I'll come out without loosing half my hull. AI aim seems to be top notch with weapons that shouldn't auto lock. Those drones are just wreck machines which follow you around to destroy everything. Do AI have cooldowns at all because I run out of energy half way through and turn into a sitting duck having to waste rockets.
-Energy needs to be redone. Having your boost energy be the same as your weapon energy means it runs out SUPER fast in a battle. Not to mention that simply pressing the boost button wastes a significant chunk of energy without actually giving any boost.
-Without sensitivity control and at least 1 auto lock weapon at start it's very hard to win. Especially in the supposed "safer areas" which should be noob friendly but instead you getting rekt by outlaws is no fun.
-When interceptors arrive (also could do with a bit of heads up in the beginning of -BEEP- those are cuz it scared the -BEEP- out of me when they just showed up and destroyed me in 10 seconds) there's almost no chance of running away. Boost expires very fast and the jump % resets with every hit they do to you which sucks.
-Also super boost (R) should not just get rid of your shields as most likely scenario when it's used is to run away when taking lots of damage and all of a sudden your hull is exposed to more damage. GG.
-Where's my barrel roll!!??

Possible Bugs and other stuff
-Energy bar seems to never go full. Always has a little piece missing. Not sure if intentional for (flying and using engine etc), but with the horrible energy management as it is every drop counts.
-Simply pressing the boost button without holding it down provides no boost yet consumes a big chunk of energy.
-When jumping near a Terran station (when it's in view in front of you) the big round w.e they are don't seem to disappear when the "warp screen" comes on.

And there we have it. Only playing for about 90 minutes and so much stuff. There's a big road ahead of us with devs building and fixing things and Alpha testers finding more work for them to do :D

Comments

• humanevilhumanevil Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 98
    i second the energy bar nopt going to full issue
  • KnopyKnopy Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 27
    The game is all about Management. I tend to compare it to ftl.energy is just another resource. My first fight were aproach the enemy and die or loose to much hull. U get the Hang of it after some Sessions. it gets easier by times as you can evaluate risks and Upgrade your ship. I agree that there is a lot of Potential and a lot of work to do. I love this game and im so happy ATM.
  • LiberTeaLiberTea Member, Common Alpha Backer ES1 Posts: 24
    TensE said:

Oh boy where do I start. Graphics are pretty dope, but I wish devs would focus a bit less on graphics and a bit more on functionality for the Alpha release. That being said I can see this game being potentially enjoyable if there will be some story to it rather than random jump to jump kinda thing. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm comparing this to GOF too much, but that being said here's a list of things I found that need addressing:

Main Menu
    -Options: Very limited!
    -Why doesn't the game run Full Screen by default? The game was stuck in Window mode for me and when toggling the option would try to go FS, but fail and stay in window. Maximizing the window and then Alt Tabbing out would resize the window back. EVERY TIME. Hope this gets patched in the next update.
    -Control options: Rebinding keys AND FOR GODS SAKE SENSITIVITY CONTROL. -also hoping for next patch
    -Disabling the "Alpha Version" message at the start would also be nice
    -More graphics options please? Could use some sliders for things like AA, Blur, Shadows. Maybe V-Sync option?
    I'm hoping the Options will be separated in the future for Graphics, Sound, Controls etc like in most games. I assume when there will be some dialogue implemented controlling different sounds (music, Sound FX like blasters, voice etc.)

Game Play
    -Decent, but gets repetitive very fast. Warp in. Kill 2-3 outlaws or/and 2-3 aliens. Hopefully find some stuff. Warp out. Maybe I just haven't gotten far enough. There's a reason for that though (see combat)
    -Asteroid mining is cool. A bit more indication that it ran out of resources would be nice, but destroying the whole thing is also pretty interesting. However if I separate the asteroid in 2 parts I would expect it to become 2 asteroids not still bound as one. Here's an example of a chunk stuck to an invisible object model and not flying away. The mining animation with the smoke and the debris is nice though.
    -Blow up useless fuel cells? Or any object for that matter to get some raw materials out of it maybe?
    -Why do I keep finding modules that I can't install? I'd rather find blueprints and build it later. Starting off and finding something cool and not being able to equip it because you don't have slots (and you need all the starter stuff) is a bit disappointing.

Interface
    -Pretty minimal which is nice. I think maybe implementing a globular radar would be cool to get a better idea where the objects/enemies are around you.
    -Ship drifts without any input because the mouse is offset just a bit. Maybe create a center where the cursor returns when no input is given so the ship doesn't drift.
    -Some objects (such as useless fuel cells) should not be tracked after a certain distance. I'm 10 km away and the orange circle is still there prompting me to check if it's maybe a new object, but nope... still the fuel cell.
    -Also KM? Nothing against the metric system (actually all for it!) But it feels like the distance scale is a bit off. Huge asteroids, big space stations etc and yet the distance says so small. Maybe it's just me though.
    -Locking onto objects would be helpful
    -The Boost (R) and Target (T) are next to each other and are very easy to hit the wrong thing by accident (comes back to key rebinding)

Combat
    -OH GOD PLEASE NERF!!! Finding myself in the open with 3 or more enemies and it's very unlikely I'll come out without loosing half my hull. AI aim seems to be top notch with weapons that shouldn't auto lock. Those drones are just wreck machines which follow you around to destroy everything. Do AI have cooldowns at all because I run out of energy half way through and turn into a sitting duck having to waste rockets.
    -Energy needs to be redone. Having your boost energy be the same as your weapon energy means it runs out SUPER fast in a battle. Not to mention that simply pressing the boost button wastes a significant chunk of energy without actually giving any boost.
    -Without sensitivity control and at least 1 auto lock weapon at start it's very hard to win. Especially in the supposed "safer areas" which should be noob friendly but instead you getting rekt by outlaws is no fun.
    -When interceptors arrive (also could do with a bit of heads up in the beginning of -BEEP- those are cuz it scared the -BEEP- out of me when they just showed up and destroyed me in 10 seconds) there's almost no chance of running away. Boost expires very fast and the jump % resets with every hit they do to you which sucks.
    -Also super boost (R) should not just get rid of your shields as most likely scenario when it's used is to run away when taking lots of damage and all of a sudden your hull is exposed to more damage. GG.
    -Where's my barrel roll!!??

Possible Bugs and other stuff
    -Energy bar seems to never go full. Always has a little piece missing. Not sure if intentional for (flying and using engine etc), but with the horrible energy management as it is every drop counts.
    -Simply pressing the boost button without holding it down provides no boost yet consumes a big chunk of energy.
    -When jumping near a Terran station (when it's in view in front of you) the big round w.e they are don't seem to disappear when the "warp screen" comes on.

And there we have it. Only playing for about 90 minutes and so much stuff. There's a big road ahead of us with devs building and fixing things and Alpha testers finding more work for them to do :D

I totally agree with energy having to be redone. In it's current form it is just an unfun limiting factor with no real depth or strategy. Part of the problem in my opinion is the way they did missile for the players (mind the npcs as they have unlimited).

Interceptors in their current form are close to a game ender, if you don't manage to have a full energy bar and boost ready you will almost always end up dead.

However, I found the combat to be very dull. (First off it gets very samey very fast atm)
    But more importantly, the AI seems to be braindead. Sure they can aim, however, drones and scouts just STAND STILL, when they are behind you. Once you start shooting them they fly away, putting you in the perfect position to kill them (right behind them). They turn really bad, only managing to get a few shots every once in a while.
    If you just always kill Webbers -> Drones -> fighters/scouts -> chiefs/elites (Funny enough this seems to also be the ordering of their health), you should have very little trouble against groups of four or less enemies.
    Bigger groups can get tricky, but thats when you just missile 2-3 drones down from 2k range (or shock rail with 4k range if you have it). Speaking of the shock rail, The AI doesn't seem to give a -BEEP- if it is shot down from 4k range, they just keep flying circles and stuff...
  • JimJim Common Alpha Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 2
    The energy bar never goes full because 10 energy is allocated to your shields... The chunk that stays empty will get larger if you pick up devices that also take energy, like Hull Enhancer.
  • KnopyKnopy Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 27
    The energy bar is okay for me. A lot of ppl say, that it Limits their fun but I don't see that. It increases the fun for me as I need to think before I act. You can't just Rush in and be Rambo.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,157
    Thank you for the feedback, we're currently collecting issues and suggestions and will then discuss and prioritize.
  • ZenTigerZenTiger Common Alpha Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 12
    I think strafing should really move your ship faster from side to side or up and down, this would help a lot to avoid missiles or when enemies lock fire onto you and you can't strafe out of the way of their shots. I think a proper lock on 'Macross/Robotech' style onto enemies would be very helpful.
  • RomanRoman Common Alpha Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 12
    I disagree with the negative point that they should seperate energy into two... personally I would love to see much more management. It feels a bit bland now, I can see it getting stale fast. Perks aren't very interesting to me because it's just numbers instead of change of gameplay... at least from what I've seen so far.
  • ES_4981ES_4981 Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Booster Posts: 8
    Q and E are the default roll buttons for keyboard. Not sure on controller
  • purebuupurebuu Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 26
    I agree with the distance units (km) is too small for the vastness of space. It makes me feel more like a space trucker than feeling like I'm burning space rubber.