The game weapons; how they compare with each others.

ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121
Got the game about 5 days ago and managed to finish it yesterday after around 35 tries (got to sector 7 3 times). I really enjoy the game so far and hope it will be even better as time goes on. Now, as someone who have tried every weapons in the game i feel some weapons are clearly superior to others and make several weapons next to obsolete once you start to use them. I think no weapons should ever get obsolete besides having a superior version of it.

Here the weapons in alphabetical order :

Beam laser : Clearly superior to the pulse laser since it's instant hit, lock on target if it's close enough and melt away both shields and hull alike. Murder drones, wipe out turrets and shoot down missiles with ease. It's also a great mine sweaper as you can blow several of them in a row.

Beam laser Mk2 ; Much more powerful than the first one but the spool up time make it a bit more difficult to use imo. Also less effective as mine sweaper due to shorter range.

Possible change : I think some drawback should be added to lasers so they are not eclipsing the projectile weapons. Maybe add an overheating feature to them so you can't fire them continuously (later in the game we hardly ever run out of power, but if we had to manage heat generated by the more powerful weapons we might have some use for less effective but more heat sink friendly weapons). It would be nice as well if some enemies had resistance to lasers so we have to switch to something else from time to time.

Coilgun (mk1 and mk2) : That weapon just make pulse lasers, gatlings, and scatterguns obsolete. Reasons are simple, it got long range, never miss and instantly hit. The fact it does less DPS don't matter because you can make full use of it. Just as effective as beams for sweaping drones, missiles, turrets and space mines of your path.

Possible change : As coilguns are, they are just too good, no reason to use any weapon that take time to reach it's target besides flak cannons. Maybe they could have some high bullet speed so they may miss at range, or massive recoil that make they hard to keep on target if fired continuously. They could also drain much more power that they currently do so dogfighting with them would be a bad idea. Anyway, not sure how they can be changed so they don't outdo the other kinetic weapons.

Flak Cannon (mk1 and mk2) : That weapon is a must have, and one we would dread to see used by our foes. Shoot explosive shells that blow up when they hit something or pass close to an enemy, harming every enemies nearby. That weapon, despite it's lower DPS just outperform most of the other weapons in the game due to the facts you hardly can miss, hurt multiple enemies at once, blast them through walls and can't hurt yourself with your own shells. They are stupidly good at mining, destroying turrets and killing all the weaker targets in a few hits. They are poor mine sweaper as the flaks don't blow up as they pass near them and are too inaccurate to hit small targets. Only heavily shielded targets are bad targets for it, otherwise everything go down rather quickly. It is also to note front shields don't offer any protection from the flaks so enemies using those are easy kills.

Possible change : The bubble AOE must go; destroying things through walls and shields is extremely OP, as well as being able to face flak everything with no consequences. Flaks should be reworked so it send projectiles around when they blow so obstacles can shields from it's effects but also make it a bad idea to use the flak too close from us or friendly targets. One thing that could be added to avoid destroying ourselves with it would be to have a minimum range trigger so if the flak is too close to the ship firing it, it will only act as a non explosive projectile.

Fusion blaster (mk1 and mk2) : Not much to say there, it's a poweful short range ball thrower of death. I think it's fairly balanced as there are times where other weapons are more effective. They are the best at bringing down shields but also good at destroying hulls; they are the best at killing corvettes as their shields can't keep up.

Gatling (mk1 and mk2) : I find them alright, when you are good at leading target they can melt enemies rather quickly, especially if they are static, moving linear or circle straffing. The real problem they have is not all weapons in the game have to deal with leading targets and have projectiles that take time to reach targets. I like using them as a challenge as they can get quite powerful when upgraded, especially when critical hits comes into play (lots of bullets means a lot of critical hit potential i believe). If you can hit them, you can pulverise them in a few seconds unless they have huge shields. Pretty much fall in the same niche as the scatter gun.

Pulse lasers (mk1 and mk 2): As far as i can tell they are colored projectile variant of the gatling, just better at destroying shields, less accurate but longer ranged. They are well balanced with the fusion blasters, gatlings, and scatter guns, each having their pro and cons.

Scatter guns (mk1 and mk2) : Space shotguns. Pretty good once upgraded and most likely great at doing critical hits. Murder things from up close, great at blowing missiles, mines, turrets, drones and carving holes in asteriods. I think they are a good alternative to gatlings and having both just waste slots. The MK1 is a charging one while the mk2 is the full automatic.

Shock rifle (mk1 and mk2): The sniper weapon of the game. Not much to say besides the AI has no idea how to take cover from it. In fact it's the same issue for all long range weapons, the AIs just get murdered as they tries to get closer.

The homing gun (forgot the real name): I think it's fairly balanced as it's not overly powerful but all shooting around corners or obstacles. Don't use it much but hate when the AI use it on me as it's harder to avoid than missiles and missile defense don't work on them.

Seconday weapons :

I think they are fairly well balanced stat wise, what doesn't work it the AI can't deal with missiles like we do. They generally try to outrun them while sidestepping them is the best move and shooting them is even better when we have the right weapon. Because of that fast missiles like the light missile and shield breaker become obsolete when we can make more powerful missiles. If the AI knew how to deal with missiles we would not have such an easy time killing them when we have a huge stockpile of missiles.

Comments

• Jean MicroJean Micro Member Posts: 22
    Very good read, most of what you say i agree with but what happens for me is that i just do everything to get a flak canon and from this point on i only use that. i usually have a beam laser to open containers and for mines, maybe a laser 2 in case i encounter a corvette or a frigate.

In my opinion the Scatter gun is not a good trade over a flak canon, close range situation are pretty rare and usually close range means lots of movement (except for corvette/frigate) so its may too inacurate in those conditions to be useful, at least for my play style.

the overheating for lasers is a good idea (even if we are in space) to nerf a bit the lasers, but it should come with it's array of mods and sub-routine to counter it.

For me, the real miss is the sniper thingy that those invisible ships have which i would really enjoy in some conditions. (killing freighters unseen, anyone??) give me a sniper with 4km range, i'll mod it to have 6.4km and i'll be happy :)
  • NenacuNenacu Customer, Collector Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 69

Very good read, most of what you say i agree with but what happens for me is that i just do everything to get a flak canon and from this point on i only use that. i usually have a beam laser to open containers and for mines, maybe a laser 2 in case i encounter a corvette or a frigate.

In my opinion the Scatter gun is not a good trade over a flak canon, close range situation are pretty rare and usually close range means lots of movement (except for corvette/frigate) so its may too inacurate in those conditions to be useful, at least for my play style.

the overheating for lasers is a good idea (even if we are in space) to nerf a bit the lasers, but it should come with it's array of mods and sub-routine to counter it.

For me, the real miss is the sniper thingy that those invisible ships have which i would really enjoy in some conditions. (killing freighters unseen, anyone??) give me a sniper with 4km range, i'll mod it to have 6.4km and i'll be happy :)

Things can overheat in space you know. Internal components can definitely overheat, even in a vacuum. ;)

As far as the sniper option you're looking for, that's the Shock Rifle. Both I and II have a 4km range, but cloak doesn't work for us the way it does for the sniper drone.
  • ForavenForaven Member Posts: 121

Yup, the flak cannon is way too good as it currently is, it makes most weapons redundant or useless.

Btw, overheating is a real problem in space because there is nowhere to dissipate it quickly. It's not a problem in current spacecrafts because they don't have anything that generate a lot of heat that they must get rid of. But a spaceship that using nuclear power would have a huge problem with dissipating heat, heat sink don`t work if you don't have a medium to dump the heat (spaceships are enclosed space with vaccum outside that don't conduct heat).

About the sniper weapon, we actually have the shock cannon that does exactly what you want, with 4k range and all. You can also get a pretty descent range with coilguns with some mods.

• Jean MicroJean Micro Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2016
    Ok, I know things can overheat in space, i didnt express myself correctly, i was trying to say that because we are in space there is nowhere to get rid of the heat so good luck finding a reasonable in-game explaination (i know arcade type of game, we dont care) but thanks for the correction @Nenacu @Foraven

also about the shock cannon, either i never got it (nor the blueprint) or i am not at the latest version....