Game Economy

GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
Traders, spaceports, trade lanes, merchant vessels...

Do they have a place in this universe? And can I be one of them?

I think it would be quite the challenge to tackle this game going a Space Trader route, maximizing resources but having little firepower and defense. The benefit would be a grand profit for the next run, but the drawback would be the defenseless state.

Does this sound appealing to anyone, or does this not feel like it has a place in this game?

Comments

• VincentVincent Member, Common Alpha Backer ES1 Posts: 4
    That actually sounds fun and maybe more of a "Hardmode" With more reward if you can pull it off. Along with trade and getting loads of resources it would also be cool to "hire" mercenary's to defend you or have fighter ships (as in the normal game play we would play) stop in frequently. I think adding different ship routs, or types during a play though is an idea. Don't know if they would consider it though at this point.
  • AndersAnders Space Optimizr Posts: 7
    edited May 2016
    I can't point towards a specific post right now but I believe Rockfish has stated that there will be no live economy of that kind in the game.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    @Anders I think I recall a similar statement made.

From several of the Alpha streams, I've seen a lot of confusion with the players trying to interact with frigates and space stations because they feel like they should be able to sell some of the stuff they have and possibly purchase something new.

Honestly, I think it would be a nice touch to the game to be able to find stores to buy/sell. The goods would cost credits that could otherwise be saved for permanent upgrades, so it presents the player with a question of "should I just wing it with what I have" or "do I spend my hard-earned cash for this run to potentially make even more?"

Even if we can't be a trader ourselves, I think it would be nice to come across NPCs as such.
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Moderator Posts: 579

Even if we can't be a trader ourselves, I think it would be nice to come across NPCs as such.

You will.
  • jypsonjypson Customer Posts: 52
    I don't think this is that game OP. As far as I'm aware, each instance is a unique generation, and when you leave, that instance is gone for good. I can't imagine how trading in a roguelike would work. I could see like a smuggling challenge mode, or something like that. Get a piece of contraband from Sector 1 to 4 with everyone trying to get you, but I don't think trading is in the cards.
    jypson said:

Get a piece of contraband from Sector 1 to 4 with everyone trying to get you, but I don't think trading is in the cards.

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

The more I watch Alpha gameplay and the more I think about what the game needs, the more I think about how trading shouldn't be the focal point in the game.

THAT SAID, it would be interesting to see if there aren't any trading mechanics that make the game, similar to that of Space Trader.
  • jypsonjypson Customer Posts: 52
    I'm sure ROCKFISH has tons of plans for us, we just have to stay patient and let them do their thing :) After all, we're just in Alpha, bare-bones everything. I'm sure we're going to see a whole lot more in Beta. Personally, I can't wait to see some of the story!
    @jypson Agreed on every level.
  • ElanElan Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 19
    @jypson I agree! All too often I've seen Alpha / Beta communities get carried away with "their" vision of what the game should become!

I'm more eager to see what the devs can show us and what we can tell them is not working as intended rather than make recommendations.