Experimentation Limited - Cargo Space Idea

GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
edited April 2016 in GAMEPLAY
Something I've noticed that a many Alpha tester has come across is the frustration of not being able to pick up an item just to see what it is. Far too often, the player doesn't want to abandon what they currently have, and have to just leave the object floating in space.

I think there should be some alternatives to this, so here are just a couple ideas.

*NOTE: I realize the player can upgrade the number of available weapon slots. I'm looking at beyond this detail.*

First, I think the ability to SCRAP an object in space should be possible, converting it to potential resources ON THE SPOT. While it is possible to drop one of your current items, pick up the new item, scrap the new item, then pick up the original item, I think it makes it more of a hassle and less of an acrade-like experience to drop everything you're doing and navigate some menus really quick. Let's just cut to the chase and SCRAP the found object immediately so we can get back to our adventure.

If this doesn't fly, I think some kind of CARGO HOLD could make its way into the game. Currently, any time you found new weapons or equipment, it would immediately be placed on a ship slot ready to go. My suggestion would instead send the found object to your cargo hold, and you could hold several more weapons/equipment than your ship could normally outfit. The caveat: You may only access your cargo hold during a jump (in between beacons). This means you couldn't pause the game, choose a different weapon from your cargo, and resume with it equipped. What you are using is what you're stuck with until you jump again. Perhaps the cargo hold is only accessible at spaceports.

I think each of these options presents an ability to emphasize the sweet, sweet loot and resources the game has to offer.

I'd love to hear other thoughts the community has on this. Do you like my ideas? Think you have a better one? Please share it below!

Comments

• HypevosaHypevosa Posts: 24Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    I agree, having at least one slot to start and then an upgradeable cargo hold that can store "anything" so you can at least look at things would be nice. I accidentally scrapped an ammunition based weapon for an energy one, leaving me no way to tear through hulls and promptly was wrecked because I though the scatter gun was physical, as when it was used on me the bullets looked like gatling bullets rather than energy based.

I've since given myself one extra weapons slot and one extra device/consumeable slot, so now I can experiment at least a little with things.

• KnopyKnopy Posts: 27Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    edited April 2016
    I agree with this. At least a little Cargo would do the job! Often you can guess what a thing does. A n hull Enhancer makes your hull more durable. Obvious. But sometimes it's a wrong decision to abandon your previous Mod and to Stick with the new one. One thing I encountered. You can't use multiple different devices like weapon Overdrive and time expander at the same time. The second device is not shown
  • ES_1260ES_1260 Posts: 5Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    I also agree with the first post, by having a cargo hold we would be able to thoroughly select what we want to use instead of picking something up and having to dismantle something you already have just to learn that what you picked up is worse than what you anticipated.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,102Moderator
    We'll be showing more info in the hud on items that you can pick up and also give you the option to swap items with ones you have currently equipped (if you have no free slots)
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat

We'll be showing more info in the hud on items that you can pick up and also give you the option to swap items with ones you have currently equipped (if you have no free slots)

I like this. It's a great way to bridge the gap between feeling restricted and having options.

I am curious though: Are there any plans to create any type of cargo hold for Everspace, or does the development team feel it's not necessary for how the game is being built?
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,102Moderator
    We're discussing it. In my opinion it would make the game more complex, whereas we actually want players to spend as little time in menus as possible. But it's definitely not ruled out at the moment.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    Glad to hear it is being discussed.

If it helps as a comparison, I think FTL does a great job utilizing the cargo slots as a great way to avoid inconveniencing or over-complicating the pacing of the game.

How FTL works: Ships have 3 (sometimes 4) weapon slots with 2 (sometimes 3) drone slots for the various weapons/drone schematics the player finds, accordingly. Weapons and drones are found from random events that occur around the game world. Any weapons/drone schematics that exceed the ship's capacity are placed in the ship's CARGO (4 slots), unable to be used [until outside of combat].

The idea here is to prevent the player from having access to too many weapons/drones at once, but also allowing the player to keep the spoils of their adventure. Based on how Everspace functions, it seems there is a slight disadvantage in customization with how few slots are available (especially at the very beginning) since you either keep it or you don't, without the ability to "hang on to it for later." It seems a cargo hold would be a great feature that avoids the consequences of being overwhelming to the player while encouraging customization, experimentation and potential strategy.

I definitely respect the ease of interface when it comes to keeping menu handling at a minimum (and applaud the efforts so far), though I would argue the current amount used to check their status and tweak their run would not be increased if at all with the inclusion of a cargo bay.

All in all, I am a huge fan of Everspace's development, and I'm excited to see how the game moves forward, cargo hold or not.