Dogfighting help

ES_8352ES_8352 Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 1
This game is unlike any space sim i have ever played. Strafing is too slow to be played like standard 6 Degrees of Freedom (6DoF) games like Descent or Sublevel Zero, and this game has zero axis turning so it is nothing like Star Citizen. The large open arenas make me believe that there would be Newtonian Flight, but alas, that is not this game either.

All of this adds up to be getting completely destroyed every time i enter into a confrontation of 3 or more enemies. In Galaxy of Fire, i could boost straight into enemies while dodging fire, get behind one, fire until they are dead, and repeat until done. In this game, direct approaches are suicide, and setting up an ambush just gets you outnumbered as reinforcements constantly arrive.

I know it's early, but has anyone figured out how to "correctly" play this game yet?

Comments

• Cain TetsuoCain Tetsuo Common Alpha Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 48
    Lasers to bring down the shields and gattling gun / missiles to rip apart the hull. I made the mistake of relying on one weapon at the start and didn't last long either but switching works wonders.
  • VovolovVovolov Customer Posts: 16
    I've had a lot of success with using missiles from as far as 2.5km. That's outside of the enemy's weapon range, and thus it's safer to start taking out bogeys from that distance, reducing the amount of incoming fire when you do get close in for a knife fight.
  • Lord_WCLord_WC Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 5
    ES_8352 said:

In this game, direct approaches are suicide,

Q+D or E+A are your friends. Never played X series?
  • DigitalNinjaDigitalNinja Common Alpha Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 16
    Coming from playing the X Series as well as playing Elite: Dangerous, I'll agree that the controls are a little simplified, but I think it works, some tweaks to the rolling and the ascending and descending and it's pretty much a solid control scheme, it's easy to pick up, and it's easy to remember
  • MrWoodchipMrWoodchip Common Alpha Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 53
    A strong tip is to get behind enemies. They take a good 5 seconds to turn around usually.
  • GoloithGoloith Common Alpha Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 34
    Well I think the major frustrating part is the pin-point accuracy that the enemies have. I'd really like to see them miss once and awhile.
  • DemiDemi Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 6
    I just played for over 3 hours without dying after struggling my first few times... I can tell you the key is to spam missiles when hostiles are about 2.4km out. If you see a drone they only take one usually... then concentrate on crafting more and always having at least 20. Whenever you see "interceptors approaching" in the upper right corner just jump out of the system. Also there seems to be more loot and more interesting stuff starting on the second sector (or map, whatever it called).. so keep moving forward once you've gotten most of the gear
  • ZenTigerZenTiger Common Alpha Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 12
    I find dogfighting in this game very challenging but fun. I think whats different for me is Im used to space games where you have your fighter always moving. I would like it if you can toggle between where your ship is always moving and you have to click a button to turn off your engines instead of having to hold down thrust to move and as soon as you take your finger off you stop again.