ALL asteroids should be destructable

VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Posts: 107Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
edited April 2016 in Suggestions (read only)
It is kind of immersion breaking that ONLY mineable asteroids can be destroyed, it should be applied to ALL asteroids, NOT just mineable ones.

Comments

• yezayeza Posts: 68
    i would like to see that as well.
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 562Moderator
    Yes, that would be nice! If it was techically possible. We will see about that...
  • ROCKFISH_MarcoROCKFISH_Marco Posts: 38Moderator
    Yeah, we'd love that too ;) The problem with those destructible meshes is that they can potentially pose a real performance problem.
  • yezayeza Posts: 68
    hmm ... maybe make the meshed of the standard asteroids rougher. bigger pieces then those who can be mined. would take some load of the performance.
  • VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Posts: 107Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    Maybe make it an option/setting?
  • XommeriaXommeria Posts: 11Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Booster

Yeah, we'd love that too ;) The problem with those destructible meshes is that they can potentially pose a real performance problem.

@ROCKFISH_Marco: I think you guy should definitely make it an option with a warning tooltip "this setting can be a huge detriment to performance, use it at your own risk."

It's unquestionable that over the course of the next 10 years, PC performance will skyrocket in CPU and GPU categories--and by then, I doubt any performance issues that may plague us today, will be of any concern to players then.

The game as it is, is quite fun. But sometimes, it's really cathartic to be able to take mining lasers/lances and just spend an hour, flying about, leveling the entire asteroid belt to nothing and then hopping off. Very few games really allow the player to do something like this. We're hoping you'll let us, despite the risk--as long as we take the initiative of it with fair warning.
  • DegenhardDegenhard Posts: 8Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    I would like to see more of those too. maybe not all, but lots more.
  • XommeriaXommeria Posts: 11Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Booster
    I understand that this game needs to run on consoles as well, but, is it possible for you guys to add an option that increases asteroid density significantly? Just started a new run (died earlier), and I warped into this system.

These floating pillars are amazing, but it would be arguably a lot of fun if their numerical density increased by a factor of 5-10. Having a dog fight with the AI where you weave in, over and around them would be amazing--even more so in VR! (this has no bearing on having all asteroids be destructible, but would be cool if both matched as well.
  • DJ_Lectr0DJ_Lectr0 Posts: 4Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    @ROCKFISH_Marco Couldn't you make it so, only when you shoot an asteroid it turns into a destructible mesh? Would greatly benefit performance as well as gameplay.
  • Grumpy SamGrumpy Sam Posts: 13Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    If complete asteroid destruction is not feasible, then you could have more asteroids with simpler destructive properties.
    E.g.
    Visible cracks in asteroids: Will split apart into major chunks, adding to the debris field. Also fine particulates/gas could be released that has different properties depending on asteroid type (blocks senors, corrosive, explodes to gunfire etc).
    Undetonated mining explosives: Found on larger asteroids. Shooting these would blow holes through the asteroid, but keep the major structure intact. This vould give you a faster way to modify the terrain than having to shoot your way through an entire asteroid yourself.
  • fdiaz78fdiaz78 Posts: 101Space Optimizr

How about making most asteroids minable but some of them have random elements and scannble as "low yield" or high yield?
  • purebuupurebuu Posts: 26Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    edited May 2016
    I understand that it's not easy to make all asteroids mineable because mineable/static asteroids are compeletely different asset types (voxel vs polygonal). It still might be nice to have a few more mineable asteroid types as we seem to have only one shape and size.

I love the idea that @fdiaz78 mentioned about having yields, but I guess we would have to sacrifice voxel asteroids because it would be too much processing to have so many destructible objects in one area.

P.S. I did it for the Name Dropper Badge :P
  • purebuupurebuu Posts: 26Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    I would also like to see a bit more FORCE = MASS * ACCELERATION going on, shooting an asteroid (especially with a missile) should send it flying backward some way, often they seem like immovable objects, until a pickup gets stuck then it goes haywire.