Mouse control

veratilveratil Posts: 4Common Alpha Backer
Is anyone else having a horrible time trying to control with mouse? I turned my sensitivity down to about 800dpi and it still jerks all over the place in-game. Makes it unplayable for me. :(

Comments

• AlanAlan Posts: 16Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    I have a Logitech G700 and it IS pretty sensitive out-of-the box. I was able to fly around a bit and get moderate control... but it is pretty 'greasy'! I guess this is REALLY an early alfa the controls-configuration features aren't really there yet - so I'm trying to figure out how to make my T.Flight act like an X-Box controller which seems to be the only other available after keyboard.
  • GrimlockGrimlock Posts: 9Common Alpha Backer
    Especially difficult when trying to jump.
  • AluMioNAluMioN Posts: 21Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    Yes, its very hard to focus the little white symbol for jumping. If you are shooting or get hit it is nearly impossible to jump.
  • magni1200smagni1200s Posts: 1Common Alpha Backer
    Seems that no deadzone, so that makes too sensitive control. And even Xbox controller is hard to control for me.
  • AluMioNAluMioN Posts: 21Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    If you fall out of jump or get back from a menu you will spin around like crazy if you forget to center the mouse before xD
  • TarnusTarnus Posts: 6Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    AluMioN said:

If you fall out of jump or get back from a menu you will spin around like crazy if you forget to center the mouse before xD

I thought it was supposed to randomly pitch you around!
  • WildknightWildknight Posts: 5Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    the game essentially does not have a deadzone (small box in which your mouse movement doesn't affect directional movement)
  • Lord_WCLord_WC Posts: 5Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    It felt fine for me, but I play lots of fps so possibly I don't mind if I have to use precise mouse movements. And in dogfights I liked it since the ship was more snappy and moved immediately.

So I wouldn't mind this kind of control in release and would be sad if it goes away, so an option to set deadzone size would be great - then everyone can set it the way they like it most.
  • veratilveratil Posts: 4Common Alpha Backer
    Lord_WC said:

It felt fine for me, but I play lots of fps so possibly I don't mind if I have to use precise mouse movements. And in dogfights I liked it since the ship was more snappy and moved immediately.

So I wouldn't mind this kind of control in release and would be sad if it goes away, so an option to set deadzone size would be great - then everyone can set it the way they like it most.

I play FPS's as well, but this is ridiculous.
  • VirlomiVirlomi Posts: 17Member, Common Alpha Backer
    Mouse is very sensitive; slightly compounded by there being no deadzone. Slider for mouse sensitivity, and a toggle option in menu for deadzone would be nice.
  • ROCKFISH_MarcoROCKFISH_Marco Posts: 38Moderator
    A sensitivity slider is very high up our to-do list! Funnily enough, we never ran into any similar problems, even with different mice. To get a little insight: Do you guys feel that the in-game cursor/crosshair is more sensitive than your Windows cursor?

Anyhow, looking into this ASAP!
  • VovolovVovolov Posts: 16Customer
    edited April 2016
    Not too sensitive for me, actually. You've gotta be careful not to throw the mouse around; the closer to the edge of the screen your pointer is, the faster you turn. A deadzone would be great though, it'd be nice to be able to fly straight. :wink:
  • veratilveratil Posts: 4Common Alpha Backer
    edited April 2016

Do you guys feel that the in-game cursor/crosshair is more sensitive than your Windows cursor?

Very much more sensitive for me. I'm using a Razer Taipan @ 1800dpi setting, and I can move the mouse about a half inch and I'm spinning out of control. @ 800dpi it's still very hard to control reliably for me.

Like many above have said, adding a deadzone would be tremendously helpful.
  • HarcosHarcos Posts: 10Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    edited April 2016
    I dont think its more sensitive than in desktop.
    It just needs a small dead zone or snap to center. problem is mostly with trying to jump. it's very hard to keep the mouse dead center and fly perfectly straight without a dead zone. This is not a problem with controllers since the thumb stick automatically snaps back to center.
  • warhawkwarhawk Posts: 5Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Pro
    I agree with the other posters that the mouse feels very sensitive (Mad Catz RAT TE), a sensitivity slider would be greatly apprecited.
  • RadioActiveLobsterRadioActiveLobster Posts: 9Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    Right out of the box the sensitivity feels just right for me.

Using a Corsair Scimitar @ 2100 DPI.
  • HarcosHarcos Posts: 10Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    Also please make the mouse recenter after jumping so that the ship doesn't spin around as soon as it drops from FTL.
  • TatsukishiTatsukishi Posts: 20Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    I found it extremely sensitive too with a G700s @1000dpi. I switched to 400dpi, though that makes the menu rather tedious.
  • FrakaFraka Posts: 17Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    same for me, hard to control with the mouse.. the ship goes in all the way with not so much accuracy.

I have a razer deathadder (chroma), i have try to reduce my sensitivity by half for the game (500 dpi), but that not work so good, and now in the menu, my cursor is too much low.

i will do a try with the xbox one gamepad to see how it goes
  • ZAK_81ZAK_81 Posts: 1Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    Same here, to sensitive, same with my x-box controller. A sensitivity slider whould be nice and maby a deadzone to for the mouse.
  • Mathematical XTCMathematical XTC Posts: 2Common Alpha Backer, Space Dog
    Yes I have to agree that the mouse is too sensitive as default settings so had to reduce dpi. Roccat Kone Pure. Dead zone would be good as well.
  • ShazamShazam Posts: 9Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    There needs to be a centering algorithm.. so if you stop moving the mouse you eventually stop moving.
  • GhostMonkGhostMonk Posts: 14Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    Shazam said:

There needs to be a centering algorithm.. so if you stop moving the mouse you eventually stop moving.

That's no what an algorithm is or does.
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 1Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Booster

A sensitivity slider is very high up our to-do list! Funnily enough, we never ran into any similar problems, even with different mice. To get a little insight: Do you guys feel that the in-game cursor/crosshair is more sensitive than your Windows cursor?

The game is pretty much unplayable for me because of how sensitive the cursor is ingame.
  • BerraniBerrani Posts: 6Space Optimizr
    To make the game playable for me I had to create a secondary mouse profile with a fraction of the DPI level I normally run at. Being able to set that within the game, as well as an adjustable deadzone would help a lot
  • ES_3737ES_3737 Posts: 2Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    I use a mouse and I've been doing relatively fine. Controller is not even an option anyway (can't aim for sh*t with that thing).
    Overall the controls feel really good but it took a little bit of getting used to. My first reaction was that they are indeed a little bit too sensitive (although once you get used to it it's really good to be able to make those sharp turns). I also agree that we need more of a dead zone to rest 'cause right now it's nearly impossible to find the center of the screen.
    I have a very cheap logitech, nothing fancy and it's not too sensitive which may be why I've been doing okay compared to people with more senstive mice (and I'm playing in third person if that changes anything).

And I feel like the roll axis (Q and E) is also a tiny bit too fast to turn but rolling doesn't seem that important or useful so it's okay.

But overall, I'm impressed. The base controls are excellent and once we get some settings and preferences they'll be really amazing.
  • Busy BeeBusy Bee Posts: 9Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Pro
    Grr. Really hard to get on the six with Mouse and KB. Enemy ships seems rather small to me and hard to hit.
    But I haven't played that much yet, maybe I just needs some more practice.
    I am used to Freelancer controls and they work a bit different.

Any combat videos are appreciated!
  • GoloithGoloith Posts: 34Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    edited April 2016
    Honestly, our ship needs to have a deadzone at the center. This would actually resolve most of the problems that are happening. It would remove the micro-oversteering that we are seeing. Essential the reticle should freely move/aim, but the ship itself would stop. In Star Citizen, CIG had this problem. It's called mouse oscillation and the best way to remove this is by putting a deadzone on the flight layer.
  • ElanElan Posts: 19Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr

It's WAY more sensitive than it is on the desktop. I have to turn it down by about 50% to get any reasonable control while playing EverSpace
  • RudalRudal Posts: 10Customer
    Sensitivity is a bit off for me as well and yes, I think the cursor is a bit more sensitive than the Windows one.
    I play with Razer Naga and haven't changed my dpi but slider would be a nice addition.
    The most annoying bit is when you go back to game from menu and your ship starts to spin around...