What's the furthest you've got on a no-perks run?

Today I decided to reset the game and try to get as far as I could without any perks. I got about half-way through sector 4 until I stupidly strayed too close to a black hole. I suspect it's possible to finish the game without perks, and I wonder if anyone's done it yet.

It's a fun way to play! The biggest issue is energy - you don't have much and it takes ages to reload. Similarly with shields. The limited devices and consumables means you have to make smart choices about what to use and when. My biggest worry is what will happen when I come across an okkar frigate...

The problem is that once I completed the game with perks, I was completing it again on every run (and getting stronger, in fact, cause of all the cash I would amass). So until they implement a harder mode I'll be trying to achieve victory with the starter ship!

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,176
    edited October 2016
    It's definitely possible (though very hard). Some guy posted a screenshot of a "first run" victory on steam. I Good luck! Keep any jump stabilizer you find, just in case you should encounter a frigate.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,102
    If I had more time, I'd definitely be attempting this feat as well. Sounds like a blast!
  • NenacuNenacu Customer, Collector Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 69
    This definitely has potential to be a sort of "hardcore mode" style of run in the future. I'd like to give it a try, but I'm not quite willing to let go of my current completed perk set.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,102
    edited October 2016
    Nenacu said:

This definitely has potential to be a sort of "hardcore mode" style of run in the future. I'd like to give it a try, but I'm not quite willing to let go of my current completed perk set.

You can always copy your save file. :smiley:

Should also be noted: multiple profiles have been hinted at in future updates/release.
  • AwoogamuffinAwoogamuffin Member Posts: 11
    I did it! As Andi suggested, a jump stabiliser was what got me past the frigate. Here's the win screen and subsequent stats. It's weird - on the stats screen it doesn't register some of the achievements, like furthest sector or highest kills...

In any case, the fact that I could be bothered to do this should show you guys how great I find the game!

Would anybody be interested if I captured video of me doing this? Problem is that it would be two hours long...

• Jean MicroJean Micro Member Posts: 22

I did it! As Andi suggested, a jump stabiliser was what got me past the frigate. Here's the win screen and subsequent stats. It's weird - on the stats screen it doesn't register some of the achievements, like furthest sector or highest kills...

Would anybody be interested if I captured video of me doing this? Problem is that it would be two hours long...

Impressive ! i dont think i'd be able to do it myself.... and indeed it would be long, even the speedrun i did is 52 minutes long ^^
  • DarlothDarloth Customer Posts: 24
    Maybe it only registers furthest sector or highest kills if you actually die :)