[Suggestion] Item Discovery

ReteroXReteroX Common Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 5
edited October 2016 in COMMUNITY (ES1)
I was just thinking that it might be cool to add item discovery (a staple of most Roguelike games) to either the existing items, modules, etc.
Or perhaps incorporate it as a mechanic that allows you to use 'experimental' or 'alien' weapons or modules, that have both positive and negative effects.

Modules that are installed without being discovered cannot be uninstalled until discovered (at a cost similar to the cost of a scanning probe or maybe cheaper).

This would allow you to create more powerful weapons and modules and also introduce a risk factor unless you have the resources to scan the equipment first.

I know that the team is super busy, being somewhat understaffed and such, so I understand that this may never be a priority.

Keep up the good work Rockfish.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited October 2016
    I think the item discovery portion of Everspace lies in what pops out of the container. I don't think it should be more complicated than that. :smiley:

Perhaps a middle ground between your idea and the current game is to add more than 3 Marks of any given Device/Consumable. Higher Marks could have significant repercussions/risks while providing a tremendous boost in a certain attribute or two.

Silly examples:
    • Teleporter Mark IV - Leave a small explosion in your wake, but randomly Teleport to any location within 1km away (including behind the explosion, which could have you damage yourself).
    • Front Shield Generator Mark IV - Item becomes toggled on or off. While on, regular Shield Devices are completely disabled. (Energy cost is passively used regardless of activated or not.)
    • Missile Defense System Mark IV - Passively destroys all incoming missiles. For every missile shot down, consume one Secondary Weapon.

I'm not saying these specific examples should be in the game, but higher Marks could give some creative exploration in how a player goes about a particular build through a balance of risk.
  • ReteroXReteroX Common Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 5
    That's not a bad idea, I really like the idea of items with positive and negative effects, it really makes you have to stop and think about the repercussions of equipping certain items.

I'm always a sucker for mechanics with depth, as long as they are easy to understand.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    ReteroX said:

I'm always a sucker for mechanics with depth, as long as they are easy to understand.

I agree; simplicity is beauty!