Roguelike forever? Would be a waste of one of the greatest space-engines I've played!

SkunkitoSkunkito Posts: 9Member
Hi Chaps, first off I can tell you this is probably one of the greatest looking and playing games I have ever got my hands on. I was hooked from the first moment last night and played for about 5 hours straight without noticing the time.

But on that note.... It seems like a shame if the long term plan is to simply use it as a "roguelike" world. To be honest it's not a genre I enjoy (Dark Souls and it's ilk are the very definition of tedium for me). My first game was Elite, it was too hard but the world seemed full of endless possibilities. My favourite games would be X-Wing Alliance and Conflict Freespace 2 ( which Everspace reminds me of greatly) Their stories were what defined them. I can still remember the plots of both.
It seems a shame with the wealth of great Sci FI novels that have never been made into games or with the engine you have not to develop it into an EPIC story. The potential is huge. I mean I'm thinking, the greatest game I've ever played, potential.

Anyway, like I said I love it as is but wow, it could be something people will never forget..... Just a thought.

-Skunk.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,096Moderator, Space Cat
    I like where you heart is at; you sound like a passionate player who knows what he enjoys. That said, I think you're looking for a different genre of a game.

I can't help but notice that it seems you're jumping into this game that is emphasizing a certain playstyle and requesting it to change it's playstyle.

I definitely enjoy a solid space sim, but Everspace is not that. Everspace is a fast-paced action arcade shooter with roguelike elements, and it does it well. It's a game that is easy to jump into and sneak away from in a couple minutes, or a game that can have hours committed to it. Easy to pick up, easy to step away from.

I think Everspace has already achieved the status that people will never forget. And I think showing the capabilities of this game will unlock the future potential of those that follow.

Much respect to you and your thoughts, though.
  • SkunkitoSkunkito Posts: 9Member
    Cheers. I don't think we're too far apart here, Both FreeSpace and XWing were also fast paced arcade shooters hence why this has really hit me right in the nostalgia nuts, there's no reason why it couldn't contain both the Rogue element AND a separate Story mode. The framework is so good!

I'm not talking Mass Effect style RPGing with, you know "Shall I wear the Blue DwarfStar y-fronts or The Venusian Thong under my spacesuit today?" type nonsense, just more of a point to what you are doing.

Just for an example it wouldn't take much to tweak the game to have a substory resembling Fredrick Pohls "gateway" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_(novel)). I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't already part of the inspiration to be honest...

Like I said, it's only suggestions for what I would see as improvements to take the game to a wider audience. Wider Audience = More funding = EverSpace 2 :)

Cheers
    Skunk
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,096Moderator, Space Cat
    Can't argue with those points, @Skunkito ! And I am super pumped to see what the storyline of Everspace has in store for us gamers. It'll be a refreshing twist to see a roguelike with some meat to the player's purpose.
  • AwoogamuffinAwoogamuffin Posts: 11Member
    This is an interesting thought and something similar occurred to me too.

I think everspace's current playstyle is fantastic, and besides it looks like they're going for a story anyway. The idea that each run is a different clone, so the story can be told over several runs is intriguing, and I look forward to where the game will go after the current ending.

That said, I do think this gameplay could lend itself to a more exploration based game. I have great nostalgia for the Escape Velocity games on mac back in the day. Maybe that gameplay doesn't hold up anymore, but every attempt I've made to retrieve that feeling hasn't quite worked out. A problem with both Freespace and more recently Rebel Galaxy (both fun games) is that they felt much more like RPGs, with the emphasis being on grinding for higher-level gear. I felt with EV that being good at combat was more about skill and learning than higher stats (though obviously big ships counted).

You had to learn how to deal with each threat, and that's something Everspace achieves in spades! I remember the first time I bumped into an okkar corvette, I simply couldn't do damage fast enough to destroy all its shield drones and also chip away at its shield. I had to learn the secret (Drone Override FTW) and now I eat them for breakfast! A more freeform game with multiple factions, each with their strengths and weaknesses that you as a player learn to exploit could be a lot of fun, because the combat engine is absolutely there. But that would be more for another game rather than changing this one, which is a gem as it is.
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Posts: 1,009Moderator
    I think we all would love to do something more open worldish in the future, but this will be quite expensive and time-consuming to do. So let's just hope that Everspace will be a big success so we can afford it.