Turns out preorders aren't all that new of a thing

Grumpy SamGrumpy Sam Posts: 13Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
A small comment at 2:06 piqued my interest. (Can't link to the exact time-stamp for some reason).

So Doom 2 had pre-orders. I dug around and found this article from 1995:

So the next time somebody talks about all this new "pre-order" stuff destroying the games industry, just point them to the fact that Doom 2 was taking pre-orders back in -95. Can't seem to find if the pre-orders are from game stores or individual customers though.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    Pre-Orders are different from Early-Access. Early-Access is different from Beta. Beta is different from Alpha.

Also, pre-ordering back then was a "little" different from pre-ordering today. While this information is good to reflect upon, the historical significance isn't fully applicable.
  • Grumpy SamGrumpy Sam Posts: 13Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    Yeah, it wasn't meant as a comparison to early access or KS systems.

Just an interesting find, because I think this whole pre-order concept is generally seen as a post-xbox thing (at least on the forums I lurk on). But many gamers are too young to remember the days when games were bought on floppy disk.

So yet another feature where 'doom did it first'.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
    @Grumpy Sam Ah ha! I understand completely. Can't tell you how many times I get into context wars with the young gamers today because of their misinterpretations and personal definitions and whatnot.

Floppy Disks. Oh man. I still remember the day my brother rolled over the second floppy of Descent. It was a sad day, indeed.