Finding the game far too hard.

I'm not one of these people who gets more motivation to stick at a game just because its hard. I, like most I would imagine, want to enjoy a game right from the start before it starts getting tough. I've been looking forward to Everspace as I invested in a couple of other space sim games, and not found them particularly gripping in their appeal. However, Everspace looked amazing in the previews and seemed to offer gameplay that didn't require investment in a HOTAS or fiddle about with mouse controls for hours. So, I invested, and have found myself frustrated and annoyed and begrudgingly keep giving it a go because I want to see if I'm simply being a retard or whether it's just the game. Personally, my retardness aside, I find the game far too hard. I've died like 12 times in an hour and since you're left COMPLETELY back to square one with resources etc., what enjoyment I do get from the game (fluidity of the movement, awesome graphics, excellent visuals and effects) is ruined by the fact I keep dying over and over and have yet to get past sector 2! Why set a man back to square one?? It doesn't make me want to keep playing I'm afraid. I want to be able to fly around for a while before I'm threatened by drones or whatever. Let a man relax! It's space, and the visuals are amazing! Why make it a cover-your--BEEP--as-quick-as-you-can fest. I realise whatever credits I manage to accrue during the brief time I stay alive can be used to invest in making the ship more badass, but finding credits isn't easy and running away from getting your -BEEP- blown to bits is not much fun for long. Create an 'easy' level for retards like me please.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2016
    Based on your response to Everspace, it sounds like you're looking for a space simulation game.

Unfortunately, the game is designed around the cover-your--BEEP--as-quick-as-you-can fest, which is common for games in this genre (action arcade space shooter roguelike).

It might just not be what you're looking for. :(

THAT SAID, the game does a brilliant job with providing constant activity and tension for the player in the entirety of the experience. While death is a fundamental mechanic, each successive run helps further the plot and open up possibilities of play for the next try.
  • FilthyHeathenFilthyHeathen Customer Posts: 8
    I'm not just looking for a space simulation game. I want action, and have enjoyed the action but die far too quickly to say I'm fully enjoying gameplay. The drones and fighters have a far too high hit dmg right from the start. The resulting constant stop-start play is very disatisfying. And I'm taking about sector 1! Scrabbling for a bit of credit before you get your -BEEP--kicked so you can improve hull capacity by 5 points gets a little repetitive after 25-30 attempts to get through sector 1. See, I told you, I'm a retard...but there's more of us out there who would continue playing if it was JUST A LITTLE EASIER!! If I'm getting my -BEEP- kicked at sector 4 then I'd understand, but to struggle through sector 1 does not make much gaming sense to me.
  • BernardoBernardo Customer Posts: 6
    You could always try using cheat engine! Here's a cheat table that some guy did (not a trainer, you'll have to install cheat engine), I've used it and it works really good! I know this isn't an optimal solution, just providing you with an option that might alleviate your issues.

forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5691729#5691729

Cheers!
    ...as does the fact of losing all the minerals etc. you may have grinded for every time you die.
    I don't want to use a cheat, I just want to be able to stay alive for longer from the start, either increase the power of the ship or lessen the dmg output of the ads. And I don't want to lose all the foppin resources I've mined etc. Maybe lose half, or keep 10%, but lose the lot!! If I'd been playing for a couple of hours with a ship that managed to survive that long and then died and lost ALL I'd mined for a couple of hours I'd probably never play the game again. I don't see the point of gameplay like that.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110

Some tips:

• Never enter a fight with low energy.
    • Use the laser to bring down enemy shields, then quickly change to the gatling to easily destroy the hull.
    • Always lock your target so you know where it is and can chase it more easily.
    • Jump away if outnumbered or if there is nothing more to do.
    • If you have a scanning probe, use it right after entering a location or look for a Comm Hub.
    • Be sure to examine large asteroids for crystals and station wrecks for containers.
    • Upgrade your weapons when you have the chance.
    • Always keep an eye on your fuel gauge. Use service stations, fight and as a last resort: blow up fuel tanks to fill up your jumpdrive.
    • If in a location with a jump suppressor, be sure to find and hack it immediately so you are always ready to jump away when the Interceptors arrive.
    • Always try to pick up everything. Collecting resources, credits and other items is the key to your success.
    • Check your ship's condition and use nanobots and resources to repair critical systems first, then your hull.
    • Don't be afraid to use missiles. When their shields are down, you only need one Light Missile to bring down an Okkar Fighter.
    • Invest in the Energy Regneration Perk early.
    • Strafe and roll to dodge enemy fire
  • ES_4407ES_4407 Kickstarter Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 2
    @FilthyHeathen. This game is an action Roguelite. Similar to Nethack in that you have to push through what you can, but start over when you die. If you're hording resources, you might be playing it wrong (you should be using them to craft new missiles and equipment and repairing systems). Don't just charge into fights against unfavorable odds...fire a few missiles from afar, then jump behind cover (hit and run). It's extremely challenging to fight against more than one enemy and a drone or two until you've improved your initial gear, so don't try it. Cash and blueprints are carried over between plays, and used to buy "Perks" that make future lives easier, so if you find that you're close to death, find a trader and sell, sell, sell.

Also, it's common to need to bail out of there. It seems that each "level" has a timer, after which a bunch of enemy interceptors warp in. I'm guessing that they'll keep coming until you run and get to the next level. The story doesn't seem fully implemented yet (or at least I haven't figured it out yet), but I'm thinking you're trying to get somewhere with a bunch of clones and you're being chased (hence not wanting to stay in one place for long). I'm guessing cash might be deposited into a single account (which is why some of it carries over), while resources are left with the wreckage of your ship (how would you get it back?)

Instead of thinking "I should kill everything", you should be thinking closer to "I kill ONLY what I must, and get out of there before reinforcements arrive" (at least at the beginning).
  • ZirePhoenixZirePhoenix Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2016
    Here're some newbie cheese tips to help at the start. Some of these tips are CRITICAL at the start.

• Okkar Interceptors are NOT killable at the start. Don't bother. When they show up, that's your "get the BEEP out of there" warning.
    • Use the G&B units to kill Okkar ships.... WHAT? How? Just do evasive maneuver in front of a fuel tank and get the Okkar to blow it up. The G&B units will start killing the Okkar ships.
    • Let the Okkar fight the Outlaws. Nothing says **you** have to kill them.
    • Use your Energized Boost to disengage. You can dodge until your shields are almost down, then just Boost away to recharge (Boosting removes all your shields anyways). Your starter shields take forever to start charging (10 seconds), so fly away and recharge.
    • Save G&B resources last. When there's nothing left to do, go after their Tech and some Fuel, Energize Boost to run away, and then jump. They'll forget what you did in the next sector.
    • You are always on a clock. The moment you enter a sector, look for immediate threats and start using afterburners to get the closest resource.
    • Do NOT use the Scanners right away. Fly near a G&B station / freighter, then use it. Use the dodging strategy to get the G&B to attack any ships that intercepted your scan, then you can go and gather the resources.
    • Almost anything is better than the Energized Boost. Don't be afraid of dropping it.
    • Late game (Sector 4+), Cloak is critical. It lets you risk face the Okkar battleships and gives you one last window to run away. When they show up, you're dead 99% of the time. You also need it to deal with Jump Jammers on Corvettes...
    • There's nothing wrong with jumping right away if you are facing multiple Elites.
  • ES_11620ES_11620 Kickstarter Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 13
    A few suggestions:

1) FIGHT enemies and friends early as much as possible. This is so that you get a feel tracking and killing ships in the game. If you can't win the dogfights early game then you're gonna be in for a heap of trouble late game.

2) DYING and failure is part of the process. As you play the game you're going to make a lot of mistakes - most of which involve death. Lots of it. Learn from them. You'll learn how to spot mines, kill drones first, dodge missiles, switch between weapons (modules, and consumables), and maximize the income you get per sector. This of course, only happens once you -BEEP- up and eventually realize that there is a better course of action than the one you are currently taking (which ends in failure).

3) KILL freighters. I cannot stress this enough. For everyone who is complaining about resources being hard to get, freighters are the motherload of resources. All you have to do is shoot the freight containers with your gun, pick up the goods, dodge the ordinance, and bail. You can even do this at the very first stage. You have all the tools you need at your disposal already. Figure it out. High risk, high reward.

4) CONSUMABLES are you friend. You should be using consumables at every opportunity especially if you have a hard fight ahead of you. They save you time, nanobots, and resources.

5) REVIVE. Spend your credits. I strongly suggest you go for energy and the rare loot perk upgrade. Then ship out and do it again. You'll find that the game gets much easier the more perks and blueprints you get.

Summation:
    FIGHT, DIE, KILL ,CONSUME, REVIVE.

This game wouldn't be fun if it was easy.
  • GoldAsteroidGoldAsteroid Member Posts: 68
    This game needs.. select nearest enemy target!

Because I ussually find myself looking in dark space part and see red arrows.. I turn.. and I see bright space part and those red arrows or circles became almost invisible requiring at least 5sec to even notice them.. let alone select them and let alone compare which one is near which is far!
  • ES_11620ES_11620 Kickstarter Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 13

This game needs.. select nearest enemy target!

Because I ussually find myself looking in dark space part and see red arrows.. I turn.. and I see bright space part and those red arrows or circles became almost invisible requiring at least 5sec to even notice them.. let alone select them and let alone compare which one is near which is far!

I think clicking your middle mouse button locks on to the nearest target (friendly, or not). This only happens when you're in range unfortunately =/ It would be cool if there was a tactical map though.
  • DarlothDarloth Customer Posts: 24
    Middle mouse selects the target nearest your reticle, as far as I can tell. It's sometimes -almost- like select nearest target, but not quite.
  • AbsinthusAbsinthus Common Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 9
    Don´t make the game easyer . You need to learn and learn and learn , credit´s to skill you´re ship .... and a bit of luck of cause ! In 28 h of gameplay and 32 run´s i get further and further .Some times i die in the 1. sektor than it´s bad luck . My best run is 120 min. sektor 5 after ca. 17 h of gameplay .
  • TwoCablesTwoCables Customer Posts: 66
    edited September 2016

I'm not one of these people who gets more motivation to stick at a game just because its hard. I, like most I would imagine, want to enjoy a game right from the start before it starts getting tough. I've been looking forward to Everspace as I invested in a couple of other space sim games, and not found them particularly gripping in their appeal. However, Everspace looked amazing in the previews and seemed to offer gameplay that didn't require investment in a HOTAS or fiddle about with mouse controls for hours. So, I invested, and have found myself frustrated and annoyed and begrudgingly keep giving it a go because I want to see if I'm simply being a retard or whether it's just the game. Personally, my retardness aside, I find the game far too hard. I've died like 12 times in an hour and since you're left COMPLETELY back to square one with resources etc., what enjoyment I do get from the game (fluidity of the movement, awesome graphics, excellent visuals and effects) is ruined by the fact I keep dying over and over and have yet to get past sector 2! Why set a man back to square one?? It doesn't make me want to keep playing I'm afraid. I want to be able to fly around for a while before I'm threatened by drones or whatever. Let a man relax! It's space, and the visuals are amazing! Why make it a cover-your--BEEP--as-quick-as-you-can fest. I realise whatever credits I manage to accrue during the brief time I stay alive can be used to invest in making the ship more badass, but finding credits isn't easy and running away from getting your -BEEP- blown to bits is not much fun for long. Create an 'easy' level for retards like me please.

What you described is exactly the way the game is supposed to be. You're supposed to die often. If you're not dying often, then that's probably because you've purchased a HUGE amount of Perks that have enabled you to live longer.

https://everspace-game.com/game/

You make the game easier by buying Perks. The better your new ships can be that you take out of the Hangar, the easier your runs can be and the farther you can go without dying.

So, the more Perks you buy, the better your new ship is before you take it out on your next run. You also have Blueprints that give you things that you don't have to buy because they're always going to be there (hence the name Blueprint) - and yes, you still have previously-purchased Perks as well.

So, the reason why you lose everything when you die is, your ship was destroyed and you're going back to the Hangar to get a new one and thus you can't keep what you found in space on your last run because that ship was completely destroyed. Now yes, you keep Perks and Blueprints and your credits, but that's all you can keep.

So as that page I linked to above says, "dying is rewarding". You're supposed to die often. Dying isn't losing. There is no game over here. You just keep going and going, making it further and further each run. Sure, sometimes you screw up and barely make any credits before you die, but that's life. :) Dying in this game isn't a big deal at all, to be honest.

In other words, try to embrace your deaths. It's all a part of the game. It's all a part of the progression. If you die, then try to laugh it off, buy all the Perks you can, and then try again. Don't take your deaths as a loss. Take them as an opportunity to do better on your next run!
    Yea, I've listened to all the advice above and appreciate everyone's efforts to help but I'm still finding the game frustratingly hard while enjoyable when I manage to survive for longer than 15 minutes. I really think it's just too hard. For example, I literally booted the game up, launched, and within 20 seconds was blown to bits by a drone. And I have had maybe 40 runs so far and racked up and spent a whole load of credits. My shields are at 20% and I've added perks everywhere. Why the -BEEP- then do I get attacked and killed within seconds of opening the game. Just made me want to immediately stop playing it!! In fact, inspired me to write this after taking on-board all comments above. Like I said, I may not be the best at 'gaming', but I don't expect to die within seconds of starting a game when I've been playing it for at least 2-3 hours and have #perked' up my ship so that sort of thing doesn't happen. I literally managed to see where the threats were as I launched into the first map of sector one and before I knew it I was getting my -BEEP- handed to me by a couple of drones, one of which I managed to kill but the other destroyed my ship. Drones for god's sake! Not even Okkar Fighters. This does not make me warm to the game, it puts me off it. Yes, dying is an essential part of any game, god I must have died a 1000 times before I even managed to get a shot off in Battlefield 4, but I'm not playing a FPS! And why lose all your resources and start back at square one when you die?? If I manage to get to sector 6 (by some sort of miracle) and I get killed and start back at sector 1 with no resources I'd simply hate the game, not love it any more. And if I can get killed by some drone within seconds of launching into sector 1, what sort of incentive, other than the good money I've spent on the game, do I have to continue??
  • GoldAsteroidGoldAsteroid Member Posts: 68
    Havent died in any sector lower than 5th.. But I did died like 5times in sector 1 or 2 when I started. You will get used to it!
    Managed to get to sector 2!...and was really enjoying myself, managed to rack up a few kills, buying and selling stuff with the trader, mining resources etc. and crafting gear to make sure I don't get killed too soon...when I decided to scan the area while cruising alongside a G&T freighter, and suddenly 4 Okar fighters and a drone appear and blast me to -BEEP-! And I'm back at square one, with all that to do again?? I'm sorry, but again, this does not inspire me to continue playing. I'm here ranting again. And now off to play something else. Please change the dynamic or you will lose 1000s of frustrated gamers imo.
    If you're going to make the ads that strong at least start the player back with some degree of what he/she's been working hard to collect, i.e. launch me back in Sector 2, or launch me back with resources still intact. The perks don't cut it.
    edited September 2016
    That's the kind of game this is though. Did you see this entire page?

https://everspace-game.com/game/

Particularly starting at the part where you see this image:

https://everspace-game.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/img7.png

Or just read below, which is taken from that page I linked above:
    In order to leave the system and jump to the next one, you will need to gather enough fuel to power up the jump drive and at the same time collect credits and resources to craft items to upgrade your ship.

The mix of persistent progression (blueprints and personal wealth) and temporary progression (crafting and equipping your ship during a run), combined with an ever-changing universe and a rewarding story, will offer the incentive to explore every permutation.

https://everspace-game.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/img7.png

Core game loop.

DYING IS REWARDING

We won’t make EVERSPACE™ ultra hardcore and unforgiving. Rather, every time you die you will be able to improve your starting conditions for all the following runs. Permanently increase the capacity of your shields, install better engines, improve sensors, upgrade weapons, and attach armor plates – just to name a few.

Most ship upgrades will be directly visible, while some will have a huge visual impact, e.g. upgrading your wings will lead to an entirely different look.

https://everspace-game.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/moving2.gif

You will be able to dig into the depths of the upgrade tree. Think of perks and upgrades that can change a lot of things – unlock new abilities and equipment, improve various stats and enable several other benefits that may change your play style.

Furthermore, every death will get you closer to revealing another fragment of the story being told. So dying is part of the progression.
    So, don't think of dying as going back to square one, "with all that to do again". As has been said, this is the way this type of game is. So, if you don't like it, then you don't like this type of game. That means the only people they will lose are people who don't like this type of game. There are plenty of people who want this type of game and who already love it, and I'm one of them. I haven't had one single issue with the way this game is. No, not one. I'm quite serious. I love it!!

Edit: Why were you cruising alongside a Freighter? There's no need for that.

You should also know that when you use your scanner, you run the risk of being detected. This game is set in a dangerous world, so you have to stay on your toes.
    Thanks for feedback. Will keep giving it a go.
    edited September 2016
    Please do! I am finding that some of the Perks are allowing me to keep things I've collected, get things back, and there are also the Blueprints which help too. This game does require some more patience and time, but the more Perks you buy and Blueprints you find, the longer your runs last and the more Credits you get and the more Perks you can buy and it just keeps going and going and going.

I have reached a point now where reaching $10,000 isn't hard and I often start my runs with my favorite weapon pre-installed. I imagine soon I'll be able to have other things that I love pre-installed too. I'm also keeping 25% of my unspent credits too.
  • DeadEch0DeadEch0 Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 37
    edited September 2016
    There's also a perk which lets you loot your wreck in the next run, but you first have to unlock the other loot perks. Pretty pointless tho if your stuff is stuck inside a black hole in sector 7... ;)

Another thing you can do if you're getting overwhelmed by to many enemies is to hit tab. It will pause the game, lets you take a breath, see what options you have, select your items, maybe craft a few consumables/devices and even activate them all at once, which can save a lot of time and hitpoints. It may kill the game flow and is kind of cheesy, but also makes stressful situations a lot easier...
  • BobbyBobby Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 3
    edited September 2016
    I found this game incredibly hard when I began playing. I was using a steam controller which really didn't help, plus I'm retarded too

Edit: not sure where the rest of my comment went :/

I'll sum up with be patient, play the game and it will become easier, it will become more satisfying. Also, steam controller sucks for this game, best played with a Dual Shock 4 :)
  • pkdevinepkdevine Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2016
    I can understand where your coming from, give it time and persevere :) The game is actually described as a rogue-like, this is expected of this genre of game. Play the original Rogue game from the 80's and this game is tame in comparison. Some people love this genre some people hate it. You are expected to die to learn and this game doesn't punish you as much as other rogues. Sometimes I look forward to dying to progress. Strange concept I know, but this game actually does it nicely.

Ever play Dark Souls or Bloodborne? The premise is similar. You will die and die a lot but you will learn and eventually become a god :)
  • ThisGameIsTooHardThisGameIsTooHard Member Posts: 1
    edited March 5
    wow does this game suck... all the above reasons... no selection of difficulty.. had I known this I would've NEVER spent money on it... Never buying a Rockfish game again...
  • clone1234clone1234 Member Posts: 5
    How so? You choose the difficulty before every run (easy, normal, hard). Easy Mode lets beat you the game in a few attempts.
  • gregggogregggo Member Posts: 36
    edited March 12
    I am an old guy and a bit of a slow learner. I died about 60 times before I started advancing above 2 or 3000 credits. I did not even know about using the tab key and repairing my ship. When I found out about that, the game became MUCH more enjoyable. I use the mid-size fighter the most. Right now, I can't figure out how to wipe out a Kurgeon Corvettes that has a jump suppressor onboard. That always ends up with me dying and going back to the hangar. And how do I get the -9000 big bomb? No way to craft it that I have found.
  • gregggogregggo Member Posts: 36
    I found out! I can make the -9000 when I have all the right materials. And, I have used it a couple of times. Cool to watch it go off.
  • RoJack777RoJack777 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All, I have been playing this game for a while, All of the ships available are maxed out and I still find it so difficult, I made it to level 7, so far , The trick I have found that works is, keep your finger on the escape ESC button if you start getting your -BEEP- handed to you, hit the ESC button and save and quit, next screen start over in that same level this way you get an idea of what/ who to avoid if possible. or bypass this level but jumping out if you can, like i said I am now once again starting over, at square 1, with a maxed out ship, I can assure you if you think levels 1 thru 5 are difficult just wait, the sun flares are just spectacular and so deadly. pissed off starting over, but still a great game. :)