No Man's Sky

d3rr1nautd3rr1naut Posts: 22Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Rogue
Because this is a space game and I see enough people engaging in space talk, I just have to ask this question:

I see a lot of info these days about No Man's Sky, coming to PS4 and PC. I wonder if the community is thinking of getting it and is indeed looking for the same experience in Everspace perhaps?

I just feel there needs to be a topic about that game on this forum, because I feel there are quite some similarities. I shall be honest: I'm thinking of getting it. The randomized elements and generation reminds again of rogue-like thingies. I really like the look of the game. I just don't really know what to expect as a "goal" in the game. That confuses me still.

Comments

• RaptorAlphaRaptorAlpha Posts: 67Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Pro
    Not getting it. The graphics put me off immediately.
  • HansHans Posts: 2Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Warrior
    d3rr1naut said:

Because this is a space game and I see enough people engaging in space talk, I just have to ask this question:

I see a lot of info these days about No Man's Sky, coming to PS4 and PC. I wonder if the community is thinking of getting it and is indeed looking for the same experience in Everspace perhaps?

I just feel there needs to be a topic about that game on this forum, because I feel there are quite some similarities. I shall be honest: I'm thinking of getting it. The randomized elements and generation reminds again of rogue-like thingies. I really like the look of the game. I just don't really know what to expect as a "goal" in the game. That confuses me still.

The goal as far as I understood it is to reach the center of the universe (which probably will almost never happen). But it is supposed to be mainly an exploration game, so you as the player is setting your own goals for the game and for what you want to do (like in minecraft or starbound)

I'm pretty excited about No Man's Sky and can't wait for it to launch :smile:
  • ROCKFISH_SnoopROCKFISH_Snoop Posts: 92Moderator
    d3rr1naut said:

Hey d3rr1naut! I'm super excited to play No Man's Sky! 2016 is shaping up to be an awesome year for space games!
  • WoonaWoona Posts: 22Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    I've been excited for No Man's Sky for quite some time, and I immediately pre-ordered the collector's edition box from iam8bit. It's actually the reason I built my computer ^_^
  • NhylusNhylus Posts: 3Kickstarter Beta Backer, Space Dog, Collector Beta Backer
    While it's a nice game from what we've been shown, the artistic direction is not my cup of tea.
  • d3rr1nautd3rr1naut Posts: 22Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Rogue
    Haha it's nice to hear these different reactions. For me personally I love the artistic direction. It feels very calming to me.

@Woona I have never heard of iam8bit, I'm looking around the website now and it looks very nice.
  • WoonaWoona Posts: 22Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    @d3rr1naut Yeah the different reactions are interesting. Personally it's everything I've ever wanted in a space game (not that I'm putting down Everspace xD). I really am excited to have a near purely exploratory experience. And they also have vinyl records of the No Man's Sky on iam8bit *drools*
  • CasperCasper Posts: 13Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    While $60 is a steep price for a game, I believe that it could live up to the price tag. I've seen a few YouTube videos showing gameplay and was impressed. Infinite generation is difficult to keep engaging and fresh, as eventually you'll repeat. I do like the art style, although I'm more of a fan of a rusty and worn out atmosphere.

If the game does well on launch and player reviews are generally positive, I'll probably pick it up!
  • RaptorAlphaRaptorAlpha Posts: 67Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Pro
    edited March 2016
    Casper said:

While $60 is a steep price for a game...

lol

$60 steep!?!? That used to be the regular price of AAA games before all this free-to-play stuff hit. Back then you actually got a fully developed game in the box. Before there were paid Alpha and Beta and Early Access.

I miss those days. I wouldn't have spent $1,800 on Star Citizen, over $2,000 on MWO, $750 on Descent: Underground, $450 on BattleTech, or $250 on EVERSPACE back then.
  • d3rr1nautd3rr1naut Posts: 22Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Rogue
    edited March 2016
    @RaptorAlpha I totally agree with your statement on this one. I really don't understand the commotion about the 60 dollar price tag. If it's an AAA developer the 60 price tag is fine, but an indie studio is not allowed to ask that? These days even a full fledged 60 dollar game is barebones to me, in fact you gonna pay 60 + 30 with all the dlc that comes afterwards.

The hype around No Man's Sky is a lot and everyone of course hopes they will deliver. Personally I have a good feeling about it, but I agree: better wait for reviews.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,090Moderator, Space Cat

No Man's Sky's artistic stylization uses an absolutely gorgeous color palette, and the visuals are the epitome of simplistic beauty. I really love how the game comes together aesthetically. But to each their own, I suppose.

I hardly ever purchase games the day they come out (and even more rarely pre-order), so I'm already out of my element with Everspace. As far as No Man's Sky goes, I'll wait a few months after release and likely purchase the game then. I'm in no rush to the center of the universe.
  • CasperCasper Posts: 13Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr
    @RaptorAlpha I'm just used to games being cheaper from indie studios (Starbound, the like), and have had negative experience with studios that asked for $60 for their game, and couldn't deliver. Even with AAA games, I find it pretty excessive to provide a small amount of content for such a high price (looking at you Battlefront). I try not to spend over $60 on any game, it's just too much of a money sink in college :P
    Casper said:

Even with AAA games, I find it pretty excessive to provide a small amount of content for such a high price (looking at you Battlefront).

I would argue that Battlefront has some of the best graphics and sound design in the realm of video games to date, and this alone might be why the pricetag is as high as it is. But (I'm sure you know), graphics don't make good games. Gameplay and content does. And for this reason, I agree that Battlefront should not be priced where it is. And let's not talk about preordering. UGH.

...Sorry for getting off-topic of the off-topic topic.
  • humanevilhumanevil Posts: 98Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Optimizr

im getting the game for a few reasons and the graphics are one of them but im really looking forward to playing nms my expectactions are pretty reasonable. the issue people have with the price is in my opinion pretty silly considering the titles we get these days from publishers/devs with there triple A price tag but then not everyone is the same, as far as im concerned if assassins creed can hit the £50 mark or the next cod game can hit £50 then why shouldnt nms be priced the same as them. before anyone complains the prices i posted were just examples and not facts
  • MariaMaria Posts: 3Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    I've already preordered NMS, and to be honest it's how i first heard about Everscape as well, from NMS's Reddit group. I will play both. What excites me about NMS is its scale. So many planets to explore, so many animals and plants to catalogue. It's literally the game of my childhood that never was - and I'm close to 50 now. So yeah...the hype is real.
  • fdiaz78fdiaz78 Posts: 101Space Optimizr
    I'm going to wait for the reviews. So far the gameplay seems move like Minecraft with planets and better graphics. There doesn't seem to be a story at all.
    @fdiaz78 NMS is more like Elite: Dangerous than it is Minecraft. It's about exploration, not construction.
  • fdiaz78fdiaz78 Posts: 101Space Optimizr

@fdiaz78 NMS is more like Elite: Dangerous than it is Minecraft. It's about exploration, not construction.

I get that and eventually I will buy it since I love space based games.
  • Lord DrowLord Drow Posts: 14Customer, Collector Beta Backer
    As mentioned elsewhere on the forums, already pre-purchased. I'm very excited about No Man's Sky. But i think Everspace will have more re-play-ability.
  • s.t01s.t01 Posts: 1Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    I'm excited for NMS but this is an indy game with a AAA price tag. Might wait a little while before purchase.
  • Code__DragonCode__Dragon Posts: 16Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    Am I the only person who sees the huge potential failure that NMS could EASILY become? You can't play with friends, $60 price tag, nothing you do will change the universe, no endgame.... Exploration will get boring pretty fast, "Oh look! A Three legged green giraffe! Oh look! A three legged purple giraffe!" Plus destroy to much and the Sentries come to kill you.
    @Code__Dragon Hey, what's wrong with giraffes?! :wink:

With all sincerity, I do see some similar issues like that of Spore's failures. Sure, you can see what other people stumbled across. And new content will be found around every corner. But at the end of the day, you're still just running a little character around from point A to point B.

It'll be interesting to see how the game is received upon release. Spore did well initially but fizzled out within the first year.
  • ZofiZofi Posts: 2Common Alpha Backer, Customer
    Honestly for a brand new video game, $60 is the standard. If you don't want to pay that, you're better off waiting for a steam sale or a GOG discount code. The problem that I have with pricing is all the day1-DLC content and season passes that developers try to milk the game with. I too miss the days of spending $40-$80 on a game and having the entire game, no hidden features, no microtransactions (god i hate microtransactions).
  • danpdanp Posts: 13Member
    The base gameplay loop of NMS seems partially questionable to me. I'll probably hang back a week or two and see what people are saying, watch some let's-plays, and then come to a decision.
  • gkarrisgkarris Posts: 65Member, Common Beta Backer
    edited August 2016
    I found out that the home for Space Sims is the PC so I built a $300 "Console" PC for them.

After much research, I went with Everspace, mainly because I like just flying around and shooting/collecting things.

No Man's Sky has a major Exploration component so you may spend much of your time looking around. The fact that you don't need Internet to play is pretty awesome.

The weird thing is with console titles, the price drops so quickly. Just a month or two after buying Doom and Battleborn for $60 each, they are now on sale for $30.

So I'm banking on No Man's Sky doing the same if many people start getting board with the exploration part.

I sold my PS4 since they are still worth a lot (do my console gaming mainly on XBox One) and I only play a 3 exclusives on it - I got $200 (will get one again when they are available new for that price).

Will get the PC copy on sale for around $20 - Space Sims is the reason I built this PC.

• daytonadaytona Posts: 45Common Beta Backer, Customer
    I was watching a live stream on Twitch with NoMans playing.
    Gameplay looked seriously slow on planets with mining, scanning creatures and trade at space stations. The flying from planet to planet then landing on it, isnt so impressive when you see it a few times.
    Apparently the space sections are interesting (got bored of watching someone mine & craft) but EverSpace is waaaay better for scratching that space-sim itch. :D