The Architect - A solution for Blueprints

GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
edited September 2016 in Suggestions (read only)
Good morning Rockfish Games and the Everspace Community,

I've been doing a bit more playing of Everspace and noticed something quite problematic with the difficulty curve, especially late-game, regarding Blueprints.

Progression-based Optimization
The player starts the very first run with just about nothing, as it should be, needing to scavenge anything and everything to build themselves into a force to be reckoned with. But when the player has a good chunk of Perks and Blueprints, the difficulty isn't nearly as meaningful. It becomes impressively easy to get to a finalized, optimized build before the end of Sector 3 (at MOST Sector 4) with the ability to supplement. Resources are plentiful, and all forms of ship equipment are easily added.

What this means is a lot of a beautiful equipment pieces available to the player are simply ignored because they are not viable, and the amazing high tier blueprints are constructed ASAP because they are optimal.

High Tier Blueprints, while providing a powerful incentive to players to explore and loot, are far too usable after being collected. Construction costs are CHEAP, EASY, and ACCESSIBLE. Due to Occam's razor, we're inclined to take the easiest route possible, and certain Blueprints mean a guaranteed run after having been collected (with the only caveat needing a little bit of time to acquire the necessary components).

I spent a bit of time thinking about a solution to this progression. It would be silly taking away Blueprints because the ability to construct what you want is a great feature, but it shouldn't be easy to do at any time. How could we limit this accessibility without taking away the player's hard earned acquisitions?

Introducing The Architect
A group of scientists/researchers/engineers cruise around the galaxy with a variety of advanced machinery, capable of fabricating powerful devices. They simply require the resources to do so. The cost would be that of the current BETA resource needs. The catch: The player costs for creating these goods without using the Architect would cost TWICE as much, and high tier Blueprints are not accessible in this regard. This way, the player still creates on the fly if they are in dire circumstances, but now have the ability to manage their resource-spending a bit more and only have access to overpowered gear through the use of this new vessel.

The Architect would function similarly to the Trader that randomly appears at various beacons, but unlike the Trader would not have random-chance availabilities. The Architect would only have player-collected Blueprints accessible when encountered; you simply have to get to them. They would NOT have blueprints the player has not attained yet.

This implementation would do two things: Creates a resource management dynamic for the player to continue collecting Blueprints and resources while paying much more attention to them, and creates more purpose to choosing the flight path ahead that the player is presented with. The implementation would NOT take away hard-earned collectibles from the player or take away current functionality for customization.

I am fully aware that the time of this post means implementing something of this nature is almost impossible, but I do hope I've sparked an idea or two on ways to soften the overpowered Blueprints that lead to easy victory in the current state of the BETA.

TL;DR - Collected blueprints (low, mid and high tier) are accessible from a unique trader (The Architect) that spawns in certain areas. Low and mid tier blueprints (NOT high tier) are accessible at any time to the player (but at a greater resource cost).

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Giraffasaur

Comments

• ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Moderator Posts: 579
    Hmm... sounds interesting. Indeed, we will have to do something about the convenience of easily building your favorite things quite fast later on.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2016

we will have to do something about the convenience of easily building your favorite things quite fast later on.

Indeed, I've had to ween myself away from creating my go-to's so that I could explore the other options the team has worked into the game.

All in all, I do feel that the cost to create equipment is far too cheap for players (even without any Perks), and I sincerely think doubling the costs may put them a little more in-line with where they need to be. Maybe even tripling the costs. But hey, it's a BETA, we can test those numbers for you. ;-)

I just hope no one is looking at this suggestion as, "let's take away blueprints from the player and have them only accessible at a Trader or Service Station," because I think that would destroy a needed arcade mechanic for the player to customize on the fly. Sincerely, I think the player should always have this accessibility [at a greater cost] while it be made much more efficient if they search out The Architect (or similar) vessel.
  • daytonadaytona Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 46
    So although we have blueprints of Mk3 gear, only through trade of materials to a Science vessel (The Architect) could we get a Mk5? Only to craft there and then, not keep any Mk5 blueprints. However random basic blueprints are on sale also?

I do like the idea that a different 'trader' can focus on modifying your ship for a cost.
    Like a space mechanic who profits from both outlaws & terrans as long as they have money. Fitting them with latest weaponry and battle gear. Then this Architect who has unique devices that offer defenses, maneuvers and tricks.

Personally, I don't have any Mk3 stuff and often have difficulty building the few Mk2 things I have. I do have my favourites and not craft anything else though. A basic shockrifle always gets salvaged but if someone were to offer a Mk5.. I might be tempted :blush:
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2016
    daytona said:

So although we have blueprints of Mk3 gear, only through trade of materials to a Science vessel (The Architect) could we get a Mk5? Only to craft there and then, not keep any Mk5 blueprints. However random basic blueprints are on sale also?

In this idea, Blueprints would not be sold; they would still found the same way.

The Architect would not have any blueprints available that the player had not found yet, either.

Instead, All low to mid-tier Blueprints that had been found would be accessible to the player at ANY time at a greater cost than the current BETA, and high tier Blueprints that had been found would only be accessible at the Architect. That said, the low to mid tier Blueprints that had been found would also be accessible at the Architect at a reduced cost. The point of this is to create a management of resources for the player. Do you spend more now to benefit immediately anywhere, or do you save up and spend less on higher quality goods through altering your route to an Architect?

It also incentivizes the player to utilize what they currently have a bit more (since constructing on the spot would be expensive), making players explore more options with the various equipment found in the game instead of immediately building to their preferred loadout.