Give terrans a temporarily increased friendly fire tolerance for assisting them in combat

WeatherManWeatherMan Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 53
Long title, but I couldn't think of a way to make it more concise without missing details but anyway onto the topic:

Helping out terrans fight bandits/aliens to accidentally shoot one of them and then needing to fight both terrans and bandits/aliens is pretty bad, to the point where I don't get involved with any fighting around terrans most of the time.

I was thinking to avoid this but still have terrans turn against you if you attack them they could have a higher tolerance to the player attacking them if the player had previously attacked the terran's target for the duration of a fight.

So as an example:

Shooting a terran fighter with a high powered weapon will get it to attack you, but if you had preciously just killed a bandit that was attacking the terran ship and then shot the terran ship by accident you will just get a warning on the radio. (so because you helped the terran pilot, it will be more forgiving towards you)

If the fight ends the terran ship stops caring that you helped it and shooting it again will cause it to fight back as normal to prevent getting an advantage over them.

This is just a small change but it allows players to be less paranoid about not having every faction gang up on them at once because of a stray missile explosion/missed Gatling gun blast or mid-space collision.

Comments

• daytonadaytona Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 46
    I have accidentally landed a shot or two on a terran fighter with the pulse lazer and he seemed cool with it. This was after a dogfight but i think the weapon was unmodded so pretty weak.

There is a touch of tolerance but I have had mistakes by hitting fuel tanks and they get pissy :neutral:

The more I play, the more I knip at the terrans heels for loot. Starting to see them as a source rather than people to hide behind when elites/chiefs are about. If those fighters leave that freighter behind or are killed in battle... kekeke >:)
    *side note: bully them enough and terrans start putting up signal jammers but don't mind you just flying up and hacking it. odd
  • TroglodyteTroglodyte Customer, Collector Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 12
    I was in a 3-way fight with aliens, outlaws, and terrans. There were probably 25-30 ships in the vicinity with it about even. I got bumped by a terran fighter into a mining drone and suddenly EVERYTHING went hostile. There SHOULD be some tolerance for these occurrences. Maybe a way to bribe the terrans to not be hostile or make them fight the aliens as well.
  • WeatherManWeatherMan Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 53
    edited August 2016
    I use fire-rate modified Flak guns combined with a daredevil module when I can, this instantly angers terrans accidentally and they subsequently shred my hull before I have time to realize what the heck just happened.
  • BerndBernd Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 34
    Same here and its a good suggestion. Usually I avoid getting involved in terran vs. X fights because its way to easy to hit a station or a fighter and suddenly I am in the three- and/or multipleway fight.
  • WeatherManWeatherMan Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 53
    Or you accidentally ram/shoot a terran container during a fight. That's just so insulting the only right course of action is to avenge the death of their precious containers.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2016
    In truth, it makes sense that, if you want to avoid hitting Terrans by accident, you either take the fight elsewhere or use single-target weaponry (while avoiding aoe damage at all costs). This makes sense; in any teamfight games where friendly fire is active, the tactics and precision have to change accordingly.

Now I'm not trying to dive into this conversation and say you're all wrong; in truth, I think there needs to be a little more leniency with the Terrans as well.

Here's my suggestion, similar to OP.
    Perhaps a WARNING could populate when you hit the Terrans too much (either via radio com with Terrans telling you to cease and desist or flashing text like that of Interceptors Approaching). If the player does NOT stop, then the Terrans could change allegiance.

This would add only a second or two of extra attacking for the player if they wanted to fight against the Terrans, or a free container near a Terran facility, but nothing more than that. More importantly, this would protect the player from accidental treachery by almost double the current threshold, while giving you an understanding if you're hitting them too much.