Random freezing

PmdUPmdU Posts: 2Member
My system:
2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB DDR5
Playing on medium, 1920px*1080px display.

While playing the game completely freezes for up to 10 seconds, while the sound proceeds normally and after the freeze the ship orients completely new. There is no pattern in time, region, environment, number of ships, speed of action etc., it is totally random. Yesterday I played 1h without any problems and suddenly I had three freezes in 15 minutes and there was no event (that I've noticed) which could have caused this.

I tried in windowed and fullscreen mode with different resolutions (2560px*1440px-1280px*720px) and details (low-high) with the same result.
But I figured out, that every time this happens, the CPU workload increases from an average of 30-40% to 110% for a short time and this phases match exactly with the freezes.
I reinstalled my drivers -> same result; I closed every program despite Steam and Everspace -> same result;

I have no idea what is causing this, it doesn't happen with other games and it would be nice if there would be some way to fix it.

Philipp

Comments

• ES_3918ES_3918 Posts: 1Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
    edited September 2016
    Windows 10 Pro, 16 gig ram
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

My game freezes for 3 to 5 seconds continuously. Play, Play, Play, Freeze. Play, play, play, Freeze.. The entire time.

Where can I get help?
  • ROCKFISH_SvenROCKFISH_Sven Posts: 93Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Hmmm....
    - What kind of anti virus protections are you guys using?
    - Can you have a look if the freezes might be related to loading new assets, (graphics and sound) e.g. only the first time you fire a weapon in a map, the first time you hit an enemy in a map with this kind of weapon, the first time you get close to an enemy/location (higher detailed assets are loaded then), but not if nothing "new" happens
    - Can you please test if switching to windowed mode changes the issue
    - Can you please test if deactivating the sound system changes the issue (In Steam Everspace => Properties => General => Set launch options => type "-nosound' (without the ")? (Of course this is no long term solution, but it could help finding the issue)
  • ES_11620ES_11620 Posts: 13Kickstarter Backer, Space Cat
    I'm having the same issue. The game would be progressing smoothly, but when I shoot to mine minerals, or i'm being shot at, or i'm shooting an enemy, the game would randomly play and freeze. I've had it happen multiple times in the same fight so I'm not sure if it is related to "new assets". The game would freeze at a frame, the sound from the frame would be repeated over and over as if the frame is being repeated over and over, and then a few seconds later, the frame changes and i'm more than a couple frames from where I was before.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel Core i5-2500 [email protected] 3.30GHz
    Nvidia GTX 970
    16 GB Ram

Graphics Settings:
    Borderless Windowed at 1920 x 1080
    Vsync: ON
    Smoother Framerate: ON
    Graphics Preset: EPIC

Music: 40%
    SFX: 50%
    Voice 60%

Camera Shakes: OFF
    Vibration: ON
  • JanneJanne Posts: 1Common Backer, Customer
    I got the same issue too with the freezing

Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

16 GB Ram

Microsoft Windows 7
    ES_11620 said:

I'm having the same issue. The game would be progressing smoothly, but when I shoot to mine minerals, or i'm being shot at, or i'm shooting an enemy, the game would randomly play and freeze. I've had it happen multiple times in the same fight so I'm not sure if it is related to "new assets". The game would freeze at a frame, the sound from the frame would be repeated over and over as if the frame is being repeated over and over, and then a few seconds later, the frame changes and i'm more than a couple frames from where I was before.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel Core i5-2500 [email protected] 3.30GHz
    Nvidia GTX 970
    16 GB Ram

Graphics Settings:
    Borderless Windowed at 1920 x 1080
    Vsync: ON
    Smoother Framerate: ON
    Graphics Preset: EPIC

Music: 40%
    SFX: 50%
    Voice 60%

Camera Shakes: OFF
    Vibration: ON

I've tried lowering the graphics quality by turning Vsync and Smoother Framerate off and lowering my Graphics preset to Medium with Texture and View Distance at Epic. That seems to have solved the problem. It seems to me that the freezes may be happening when the FPS drops too low. All of the other settings are still the same.
  • ZantorZantor Posts: 6Customer
    edited September 2016
    The game likes to hang and hog a single CPU core and not do anything; within 5 minutes of trying to play then return to the main menu, it froze on me. I am noticing a lack of optimization for AMD hardware. I have an FX-8350 and I know it should not be struggling with a game like this. I believe more multithreading would benefit both AMD and Intel CPUs.
  • GhajdGhajd Posts: 3Member
    Windows 7 x64
    Intel i5 4679 3.4 Ghz
    Nvidia GTX 770 OC
    8 GB RAM

Same issue here. I set all settings to low, disabled the sound with "-nosound" at steam, disabled Vsync and anything else, emptied all caches - but the game still freezes when enemies come in range and keeps freezing frequently while fighting. It's unplayable like this. I hope you will find the reason for this soon and solve the problem.
    My drivers are up to date btw.
  • VandelayIndVandelayInd Posts: 2Member
    Windows 10 x64
    AMD 8350FX
    Radeon RX 480
    16 GB Ram

Same-ish issue. Mining is fine for me, but I will get random instances of .1-.3 FPS. Sound will play at normal speed, but certain sounds like they have been put through a stuttery phaser type effect. Repeatable after my first warp, trying to obtain tech that is floating in wreckage.

All up to date and tried solutions presented in this thread. Looking forward to playing!
  • ROCKFISH_SvenROCKFISH_Sven Posts: 93Moderator
    edited September 2016
    What kind of virus protections are you guys using?
  • ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Posts: 562Moderator
    Could you try to open your task mananger while the game is running and then right-click the game process, set affinity and uncheck CPU3.
    I use 'Antivirus Pro' from Avira. After unchecking CPU3 the freezes didn't occur anymore - i finally could play this Everspace! Yay! :))
  • Simon_uuSimon_uu Posts: 1Customer
    I have the same issues with gtx 970 and Kapersky.
    But the freezing only appears when a NEW sound (or animation or so) appears.
    For instance when alien ships appears and shoots a laser for the first time, the game freezes for a few seconds.
    But otherwise the game is awesome!
  • D0v4kh11nD0v4kh11n Posts: 6Member
    I think i have the same issue, it kind of freezed the game but it went on with like 1 frame per 3-4 seconds, even more, and the sound continues as if in slow motion but additionally cracked. I played on and it occurred less from time to time. I actually noticed i have not been using any antivirus so far (recently did a new setup, oops).

Specs are:
    GTX 660
    FX 8120
    16GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64

Could you try to open your task mananger while the game is running and then right-click the game process, set affinity and uncheck CPU3.

Unchecking CPU 3 seems to have worked. I am able to run at epic graphics (+vsync, NO smooth framerate) with my GTX970. Occasionally I'll still hear a static sound when it would normally appear, but it doesn't last for more than 1 frame.
  • VandelayIndVandelayInd Posts: 2Member
    Unchecking CPU 3 gave me an improvement, but not a fix. Definitely seems connected to sound effects. After unchecking CPU 3 I can play for periods of 1-3 minutes with no stuttering, but then get hit with periods of 3-10 second freezes. Noticed it happens when first I turn towards hostile ships, firing weapons after period of not firing them, and always when maneuvering in close quarters.
  • D0v4kh11nD0v4kh11n Posts: 6Member
    edited September 2016
    I installed avira now, and the freezes do occure frequently again -.-. I tried to look for a certain pattern. Yes sometimes it seems like it freezes when a new asset or sound has to be loaded, but sometimes it seems randomly. After i died end wanted to end the game, i tried to click quit in the main menu but instead it froze with the exact same cracked sound. Ctrl Alt Del didnt work, but Alt Tab did.

Ill try to uncheck cpu3 when the freeze does occur again.
    edited September 2016
    Only to avoid mistakes: the name of the process where you need to uncheck CPU3 is 'RSG-Win64-Shipping'. I say this because I first chose a wrong process ... with no result of course. But probably I am the only fool....

Yesterday I played some hours and only some framedrops happened at epic settings until I lowered Anti Aliasing and Effects to 'high' (Smooth frame rate ON). One crash happened but otherwise the game runs flawlessly with unchecked CPU3 and these settings on my PC. Nice game already!
  • PmdUPmdU Posts: 2Member
    A little late, didn't thought somebody would answer after one month, but the CPU3 uncheck fixed it for me too. Thanks :)