Post-Clear Thoughts

darkdobedarkdobe Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 7
Post Victory Thoughts

Having finally farted around the game long enough to clear it, and while the experience is still fresh in mind, some thoughts:

First off - This game is gorgeous.

Just look at that. And in the opposite direction you can see half the milky way covered by this lava planet.

-Weapons need more tiers, even if they are just damage upgrades - this would be more in line with the Mk2, Mk3 etc versions rather than the alternate weapons. As it stands, if you luck out and find something like a Shock Rifle or Flak Cannon early, the game is finished. You hardly need to upgrade them and they will see you through, and that leaves no incentive to swap for new toys, and more importantly to sink your resources into upgrading the new toys, too.

-Weapon upgrades are tied directly into how many times you've played, and how many different mods you've found. It might help to open up the number of first tier mods that are available initially to encourage experimentation. As it stands, everything gets a middling shield damage mod and that's usually it. Give the fresh players some more choices to play with, at least shield, hull, range and spread - that way, again, they have incentive to upgrade when they get the better ones.

-Found weapons should have special mods, maybe even higher grades of mods that cannot be crafted. Another encouragement to ditch your favourite gun for something new - I remember getting excited when I found a gun with a mod I hadn't seen before. If this was more commonplace, it might encourage that constant risk/reward - new gun that could be way better but will cost lots to upgrade? Or keep the old. This could tie in with the weapons dropped by aliens and scavengers and the like.

-Blueprints are a total crapshoot, I realize, but after some 20 playthroughs, I have never found a blueprint for a secondary weapon. This is with a half dozen primaries, almost every system and consumable in the game already discovered. I know this is due to the relatively low number of secondaries - but then it is a two fold issue: We need more neat rockets and deployables, as that will hopefully make a better chance of the blueprints dropping. Games like Descent had a dozen different missiles and there's -plenty- of room to come up with neat stuff for the player to use, and to have used against them. No doubt there's more in the works - but when firing something like the ARC or even the Mine Clusters for the first time, it felt -awesome-, yet these are the rarest things in the game to find and play with.

-As many have noted, enemy flight patterns are way too predictable for all save the swarm fighters, which are neat. As it is, everything flies in a straight line towards the player and makes it insanely easy to kill, especially if one is using the Shock Rifle. Again, the devs have stated they're working on different behavior for different enemies, which is awesome.

-Nerf the cloak. All the reasons have been stated. Many ways to do it, too. Break on damage, break if the player drains his energy, break if the player fires. Different 'durability' could be the perk of higher grade cloaks. Include a fade-out time after activation that is reset if the player fires or is hit, that kind of thing. Disable the shield while the cloak is active. Right now it is a get out of jail free card with almost no downside, especially if one invests in the lower energy cost upgrade, making it nearly free.

-I realize the final boss is a placeholder and I look forward to something suitably awesome there.

-The Shock Rifle needs some tweaks: Right now it can be fired forever, even at zero energy, with no real downside. Especially abusable with the cloak, or just sitting at 4km+ from an enemy. There are two issues right now: One is that the weapon continues to drain energy while fully charged, and two, it will continue to 'charge' even if your energy meter is empty and being constantly emptied by the held charge. Make the weapon charge to maximum and then stop draining the player. You can even -pause- energy regen while this is happening. That way, when the player runs out of energy and 'bottoms out' the meter, the gun will stop charging at whatever percentage it reached. This stops someone just spamming full power blasts with a technically empty energy pool.

-Alien Gunships are sitting ducks, especially to weapons with 2km + range. None of their attacks do anything to you then. I rather like the whole drone-supported threat idea, but have them send out assault drones or something, too, otherwise the player can just sit back and whittle them to nothing (again - Shock Rifle)

-Secondary weapons themselves need a bit of love. The plasma torpedo doesn't do nearly enough damage for how rare and supposedly powerful it is. Make them slower, make the tracking worse, -BEEP-, make them dumbfire - but if they're intended to be a 'heavy anti-cap' weapon, they need to do more than the damage of three crappy missiles. Maybe this is verging into the territory of other planned secondary weapons, but it feels anemic for where it is now. This is alongside the ones I've seen, being: Light and Heavy Missiles (perhaps need a little more distinction between them - heavy is not much 'heavier'), ARC (Awesome - beware grey goo if using this one!), Shield Breaker (Awesome), Stasis (Awesome), Mine Cluster (Again awesome - maybe consider letting the player detonate with another secondary keypress? Its hard to judge the charge/distance), Plasma Torp (Needs more oomph for its suggested role). I could come up with workable secondary weapon ideas all day, though - gravity bombs, smart missiles, hypervelocity rockets, anti-drone frag shells - there's endless amounts of fun stuff that could be added here.

-Consumables are probably my least used category save an endlessly crafted supply of Scanner Probes. I realize this weighs heavily on the playstyle, and I find myself using the cloak all too often, which rather alleviates any need for the others. This is very likely a problem with my own approach - I haven't given the others enough love. Combat Drones are amusing, though, especially in the earlier zones where they can solo a lot of the enemies.

-System modules are similar, though I experimented with a good deal more of them. The subroutines especially could be more common, as they can really change up the player's approach, especially something like Daredevil, though that one feels like a player would really want to build towards it will hull enhancements and such, not just pick it up on a whim as it is crazy risky.

Lots to read, I know. On the whole I adore the game, and am thrilled to think there's so much more to come down the pipes as it develops and solidifies. Keep it up!

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,317
    Thanks for the feedback, agree with a lot of what you mention. We already fixed the cloak (enemies were supposed to spot you when shooting while cloaked, as written in the description, but it unfortunately got broken for the beta release) and made the shock rifle less powerful. We'll see what we can do about the weapon-mod and blueprint issue you're mentioning.
  • darkdobedarkdobe Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 7

Thanks for the feedback, agree with a lot of what you mention. We already fixed the cloak (enemies were supposed to spot you when shooting while cloaked, as written in the description, but it unfortunately got broken for the beta release) and made the shock rifle less powerful. We'll see what we can do about the weapon-mod and blueprint issue you're mentioning.

I am curious as to how you've gone about fixing the rifle? From a damage and fire rate standpoint I think the weapon is fine - it is just the 'infinite energy' problem that makes it abusive.
  • RattiputzRattiputz Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 26
    I would like to add some more ideas regarding the gameplay after finishing a run:
    -from what I understand, you need to complete multiple runs to beat the game. But I really think you should get less powerful blueprints in your first runs, as at the moment you could complete a run on every go: you do not die enough (I managed to complete two runs in a row);
    -also basic ship repair should require basic materials (like scrap or compound) as fighting damages your hull but gives you lots of nanobots. I would appreciate having to be more careful while searching materials for repair.

Greetings,
    Rattiputz
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    Rattiputz said:

basic ship repair should require basic materials (like scrap or compound) as fighting damages your hull but gives you lots of nanobots. I would appreciate having to be more careful while searching materials for repair.

Not a bad idea in theory, but the problem is that it doesn't make sense lore-wise. Just having scrap and compounds doesn't mean the ship should automatically get repaired; that's the entire point of the nanobot itself. That said, perhaps excess amounts of scrap/compound/others could be used to craft nanobots (at an outrageous ratio like that of 10:1) to supplement your ship if you have tons of random stuff but no nanobots.

And while I'm on the topic of nanobots, why can't they be scrapped when we're maxed? I feel like nanobots could become scap, compounds or processors when found in excess, much like missiles when we're capped out. Fuel suffers from this, as well. Why not gas, or chrysal or something?
  • RattiputzRattiputz Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 26
    Sorry, I meant repair should need nanobots AND materials, which would make the way you have to repair your ship a lot more challenging. I also agree on the topic of scrapping, I often find myself having to leave behind nanobots and fuel. Plus it would be a nice constraint: either you don't have enough fuel, but systems are generated with crystals, gas you can use to craft weapons and consumables, or you don't get many crystals and gas but more fuel, forcing you to scrap some of it. This would limit the problem where you can just craft the best weapons every run, and would add more diversity (to make it clear, fuel should NOT be craftable ;) ).

Greetings,
    Rattiputz