Secondary Weapons

ArcalaneArcalane Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 3
Something that quite literally came to me in a dream- I'm seeing a distinct lack of dumbfire rockets (e.g. the Hydra 70 or SNEB) as a secondary weapon option, outside of powerhouses like the plasma torpedo.

Think high launch rate, fast travel speed (750~1,000 m/s), short range (1.5k?), modest spread, small blast area, mostly effective against hull, possibly a proximity fuse. Crafted as groups of 3/4/etc. rather than 1 at a time. Max capacity per slot would probably be twice that of light missiles.

One other thing that occasionally throws me off is that, unlike many aerospace combat games, there's no lock-on time for missiles.

Comments

• GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2016
    Dumbfire Missiles sound amazing. Reminds me of Raptor: Call of the Shadows. That weapon of the same name in that game was crazy inaccurate but did decent damage. Would be cool to see it in Everspace where it fires a barrage of mini rockets where some lock on, some randomly explode to deal AoE damage and some zoom off into the distance.

I'm not too worried about lock-on time for missiles, though. While the gameplay could benefit from it, I don't find it suffering without it either.
  • DeadEch0DeadEch0 Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 37

Dumbfire Missiles sound amazing. Reminds me of Raptor: Call of the Shadows

To this day, everytime I hear the word "dumbfire", I remember Raptor. Played a decent iOS port a few years ago, still an excellent game!

To compensate for the lack of dumbfire rockets, I use flak cannons. They feel and look pretty much like rockets and Flak II has a nice RoF as well.

• ArcalaneArcalane Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 3

Dumbfire Missiles sound amazing. Reminds me of Raptor: Call of the Shadows. That weapon of the same name in that game was crazy inaccurate but did decent damage. Would be cool to see it in Everspace where it fires a barrage of mini rockets where some lock on, some randomly explode to deal AoE damage and some zoom off into the distance.

Now now, they're not missiles if they're dumbfire. :p

I just like the idea of being able to rapid-fire off a dozen small rockets to soften up targets like Outcast Chiefs, catch fast-moving ships in a hail of explosions, or maybe use the rockets like decoys to distract point-defense drones.

I'm not too worried about lock-on time for missiles, though. While the gameplay could benefit from it, I don't find it suffering without it either.

For sure- I kinda like the instant lock because you can do some pretty slick rapid launches. Light missiles are cheap, plentiful, and can pop most drones in a single hit, so it feels pretty good to fire off a barrage and take out several drones at once.

Still, lockons could be a useful balancing factor for certain higher-end missiles, or some kind of multi-missile like the 4/6 AAM weapons from Ace Combat where you lock onto multiple targets at once and fire a single missile at each.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2016
    Arcalane said:

Now now, they're not missiles if they're dumbfire. :p

In Raptor: Call of the Shadows, the weapon is called Dumbfire Missile. Don't shoot the messenger! :tongue:
    Arcalane said:

Still, lockons could be a useful balancing factor for certain higher-end missiles, or some kind of multi-missile like the 4/6 AAM weapons from Ace Combat where you lock onto multiple targets at once and fire a single missile at each.

Yes, but with multi-lock missiles balancing would have to be implemented in one of a few ways:
    1. Heavy resource cost to construct
    2. Low damage per missile
    3. High energy cost
    4. Rarity
    I like the idea you referenced from Ace Combat where it would use multiple created missiles at once.

I would hope to see this kind of secondary be a tool available at a lower-tier blueprint, so the second option seems like the best fit if this were implemented.

That said, I could also see a high-tier variant of the same thing with the first, third and fourth options all as factors (but dealing extreme damage like that of the Arc 9000).