Minefield Frustration

ES_1637ES_1637 Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 16
Dealing with minefields is a chore, at least for someone using a controller as I am. Lining up the shots one by one with no target locking or other aiming assistance gets frustrating, especially when they're around a jump suppressor platform so you have no choice but to contend with them. Sweeping the field with a beam weapon sort of works, but that's the best I've worked out so far.

Any chance we could get fewer mines with a larger area of effect so it's a little faster to clean them up but still covers the same area?

Alternatively, what if triggering a mine had a chance of causing a chain reaction with other nearby mines? Could be more dangerous if you accidentally stumble into the minefield, but if you were smart and alert then you can exploit that behavior to clean them up more easily.

Comments

• GrythithGrythith Customer, Collector Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 5
    find your boxes open them from a distance and use your boost though the mine field, you might take a bump or to to your shields, but as long as your not really close, its a breeze and you wont take any real damage.
  • olgiwolgibolgiolgiwolgibolgi Member, Common Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 19
    At least I wish, there were EMP-Missles, that disable mines within Explosion/EMP cloud. Or something similar to the drone control unit you shoot at to disable all these annoying drones at once, like a mine field control center.
  • MaheekrMaheekr Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 26
    What about the energy release modification which releases energy in an aoe.. it might do the trick for all of them?
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    There are certain methods that can clear Minefields with ease. Whether it's using the constant stream of attack with the Beam Laser, scattershots with the Flak Gun or even using the Energy Release Mod as @Maheekr mentioned, there are simplified ways to deal with Mines.

That being said, the point of a Minefield is to slow the player. If we were able to zip in, zip out without any risk, why should there be a reward in them in the first place?

Mix up your tactics and you'll see results.
  • olgiwolgibolgiolgiwolgibolgi Member, Common Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 19
    edited August 2016
    It's my 22nd run, and I never faced this energy mod.
  • ES_1637ES_1637 Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 16
    Grythith said:

find your boxes open them from a distance and use your boost though the mine field, you might take a bump or to to your shields, but as long as your not really close, its a breeze and you wont take any real damage.

I was specifically thinking of the cases where there are mines around a jump suppressor, so you have to get into the middle and sit there for a few seconds to hack rather than just dashing through.

There are certain methods that can clear Minefields with ease. Whether it's using the constant stream of attack with the Beam Laser, scattershots with the Flak Gun or even using the Energy Release Mod as @Maheekr mentioned, there are simplified ways to deal with Mines.

That being said, the point of a Minefield is to slow the player. If we were able to zip in, zip out without any risk, why should there be a reward in them in the first place?

I've tried the Beam Laser and it does help a bit in that I can sweep across the field with it, but it's still frustrating with a controller (possibly an aspect that I should have emphasized a bit more). The weapons with more spread or area effect are something I hadn't considered; I'm not exactly enthused about the idea of giving up one of my weapons slots to carry around something that works for this situation but doesn't fit my play style otherwise, though I wouldn't argue that as being unfair either.

I don't disagree with the idea of the mines requiring you to slow down a bit, but minefields are the one challenge I've encountered that are consistently and remarkably slower than... pretty much everything else. If there were other "puzzle"-type challenges that required you to stop, look, and act with precision then minefields wouldn't stick out so much, but when everything else can be handled with breakneck boost-and-blast tactics the mines really break the flow.
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
    ES_1637 said:

I don't disagree with the idea of the mines requiring you to slow down a bit, but minefields are the one challenge I've encountered that are consistently and remarkably slower than... pretty much everything else. If there were other "puzzle"-type challenges that required you to stop, look, and act with precision then minefields wouldn't stick out so much, but when everything else can be handled with breakneck boost-and-blast tactics the mines really break the flow.

I definitely understand where you're coming from. The game is a fast-paced action shooter, and when something drops that action to a near screeching halt, it is counter-intuitive to the game. I've definitely come across minefields that I've simply ignored because of this fact.

That said, a strong aspect of Everspace is the exploration, and it takes time to navigate the innards of an asteroid, peruse around a station or investigate the debris of a wreckage. The minefield is just another one of these scenarios, but is unique in that it puts the hull at risk instead of just time.

Ultimately, I think the minefields could be adjusted by either modifying the amount of damage the mines do, increasing their spread (making them easier to traverse) or creating more powerful indicators revealing the individual mine locations.