Ultrawide Support?

ES_388ES_388 Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 1
Have the devs mentioned anything about ultrawide monitor support? I'm currently using a 3440x1440 monitor, and would love to play at that full resolution.

Comments

• SupesSupes Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Rogue Posts: 3
    +1

I've also got an ultra wide (21:9) monitor, and the number of peeps using ultra wide is rising (on par with 4k).

things I'd like to see for ultra wide are:
    no black bars at the sides on cutscenes
    proper spacing on hud

Also it should be noted that 21:9 is a proper format that has been used in film and cinema well before 16:9 ever appeared. Infact 16:9 was invented as a compromise between 4:3 and 21:9
  • SwansonSwanson Member Posts: 2
    I also posted asking about this, I don't have a 3440 x 1440 monitor, but a 2560 x 1080 (same aspect ratio, just lower res) and was wondering how well this would run on 21:9. Really hoping that it will have full support, since I feel like it would be insanely fun to play this on 21:9.
  • Kurzon MorrisKurzon Morris Kickstarter Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 73
    I'll be playing this game on two devices my tab which has a ration of 3:2 and my main pc which i'd love to use two monitors. I'm personally having issues with getting the desktop to stretch over the two screens in games, however if its in window mode and i can manually stretch like any normal window then the games work great over the two screens, now that's what I really want to see.

So lets just say we really want multi monitor, wide monitors, odd shaped ratio monitors and window mode stretching to be available please
  • WeatherstationWeatherstation Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Pro Posts: 43
    Yeah, it would be nice if the game would support multiple monitors on a ration of 24:9 (6 monitors, 3 at the bottom and 3 on top, each with a resolution of 2k and 16:9) ata resolution of 7680x2160 ... would be nice ;)
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,317
    It's too early too tell, we will surely test the game on many different setups (also with more than one mointor), but I imagine that we'll get into trouble performance-wise when playing at 7680x2160 ;)
  • WeatherstationWeatherstation Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Pro Posts: 43

It's too early too tell, we will surely test the game on many different setups (also with more than one mointor), but I imagine that we'll get into trouble performance-wise when playing at 7680x2160 ;)

haha ok :)
  • FullmentalFullmental Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 9
    edited February 2016
    This will be interesting. I have triple 1080p monitors (really cheap, much cheaper than a single ultrawide when you can find them for $100 each), I'd love to be able to use them while gaming instead of just for productivity, but a lot of games don't support them properly...

This will be interesting. I have triple 1080p monitors (really cheap, much cheaper than a single ultrawide when you can find them for $100 each), I'd love to be able to use them while gaming instead of just for productivity, but a lot of games don't support them properly...

yeah, that's also my problem ... actually BF3 is the only game I know where the support of multiple displays works well ... pretty sad
  • My Pet GoombaMy Pet Goomba Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 6

yeah, that's also my problem ... actually BF3 is the only game I know where the support of multiple displays works well ... pretty sad
    I'm with you guys. I have the wallet friendly(er) triple 1080p monitor setup going and it's disappointing how few games make it workable. I'd LOVE to see this on three screens without that horrible fish-eye ruining it.
  • PeterFragonPeterFragon Member Posts: 3
    Please tell me Surround and SLI support are going to happen! PLEASE GOD
  • My Pet GoombaMy Pet Goomba Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 6

I'm with you guys. I have the wallet friendly(er) triple 1080p monitor setup going and it's disappointing how few games make it workable. I'd LOVE to see this on three screens without that horrible fish-eye ruining it.
    Update. I no longer care about ultrawide so long as there is HTC Vive support.
  • GoloithGoloith Common Alpha Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 34
    Definetely need 21:9 support for this game. However, I'm a bit worried if UE4 can even push that. The last game I alpha tested (Fable Legends) could barely push 2560x1440 cranked up on one GPU.
  • AnomanderAnomander Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 4
    Just got a 21:9 2560x1080 Monitor (it arrives on Thursday) so I am hoping we get Ultrawide support. This game is looking fantastic.
  • LeafcutterLeafcutter Member Posts: 1
    Hi Developers..

This game is looking very nice and am looking forward to playing it.

I would like to add my support to this thread in requesting support for a 21:9 ultrawide resolution.
    For me in particular 2560x1080.

This game may be really popular and likely get a helpful mod from the chaps at WSGF.com, but I'm sure they would appreciate that for once, they could play rather than fix what really should have be done out of the box.

Many Thanks
    -LC-
  • Eternity57Eternity57 Common Alpha Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 15
    Hi there,

I also play with 3x1920x1080 TV screen with NVIDIA Surround... It works fine with game like Elite Dangerous, Star Wars Battlefront 3, The Witcher III, Dirt Rally, BF4...

I'll really looking forward if the game will support this in the right way ;-)

Because it is a really powerfull alternative of VR when you combined triple screen and Track IR and HOTAS

Many thank in advance !
  • GoloithGoloith Common Alpha Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 34
    Ultra-wide support is in fyi
    Euh 5780x1080 not really supported for the moment ... let say it works yes but rendering of the cockpit not really good :-( let have a look on cockpit below... missing most of the cockpit (2/3 of bootom part of the cockpit...)

• raven2396raven2396 Customer Posts: 5
    It seems like on aspect rations higher than 16:9 the game just crops the view as opposed to extending it. That looks like what Eternity57 is experiencing, as well as people using 21:9.
  • olgiwolgibolgiolgiwolgibolgi Member, Common Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 19
    Too bad. Watched some gameplay videos today and wanted to purchase the alpha. I've got a LG 21:9 2560x1080 monitor. @ Eternity57, can you show some ingame videos of the cut out cokpit, please? Perhaps, is it possible to play in fullscreen with black borders?
    edited May 2016
    Hi olgiwolgibolgi,

Not sure what black borders are ... but yes I can upload a short example of video...

Here the video (still uploading for 10 min)

Thanks Eternity57 for the upload. I wonder, if it is possible to play 1920x1080 on a 2560x1080 monitor with centered screen and vertical bars at the right an left side.
  • BB_CoolcatBB_Coolcat Common Beta Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 33
    edited July 2016
    Have an 3440x1440 ultra wide monitor in 34" size as well. So, +1 from me :) If you have not tried 21:9 yourself, do it if you get the chance! Especially when curved they are super immersive for gaming! Last year on GamesCom they had some at the Samsung booth.....a few weeks later I bought my own :p

The critical point of supporting 21:9 is that the UI needs to behave correctly. You can't just attach UI to the screen edges, because at 21:9 the left+right edges are just in your peripheral vision. You simply won't see it. However, there are some games doing this properly. For example TheCrew and TheDivision, both from Ubisoft. The trick is that the aspect ratio for the UI alignment rect is clamped at 16:9. Meaning the UI looks exactly as it would in 16:9. Some screenshots from TheCrew:

Actually this makes UI design easier, since the aspect ratio stays the same or is at least limited to some range. However, it only works with free floating UI that doesn't need to be docked to the screen borders.
  • ROCKFISH_MichaelROCKFISH_Michael Administrator Posts: 373
    Yeah, that would nice! It's on our list but not a top priority. We are still working on the HUD and UI. We just have to see if and when we find time for that.
  • NjosNjos Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 3
    Space games are to be played in 21:9. Also, all games but meh to all games who aren't space games!

+1 to UW support at launch!
    If you guys need any help with testing UW support, contact me :)
    Nice, 21:9 @ 2560x1080 is supported in beta. Even Reshade/SweetFX is working. Thank you very much.
    3440x1440 seemed to work as well at first glance, more testing on the weekend :)
  • gkarrisgkarris Member, Common Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 71
    Using just a cheap 32" 1080p TV right now but want to go to 3 screens when I get a discreet GPU for my PC... would definitely use ultrawide support...
    edited July 2016
    Ok, this is how UltraWide looks on 3440x1440 (21:9) and in comparison a screenshot from 2560x1440 (16:9). As you can see the projection matrix used is based on the width off the image, while it should be the height. Meaning the wider your screen gets, the more is cut off in the top/bottom instead of seeing more to the left/right. See also the screenshots of TheCrew I posted earlier where this is done correctly.

However, the UI seems to behave well, so the game is playable.

• GreenWitcherGreenWitcher Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2016
    I just wanted to post that there is a fix to get the FoV out of vert- and get proper FoV. Follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\RSG\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
    2. Open Engine.ini
    3. Add this line to the file:
    [/Script/Engine.LocalPlayer]
    AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV
    4. Save the file, close it and play. You should now be able to play Everspace in nVidia Surround or 21:9 without fear of Vert-.

Now the only thing missing is to lower the FoV somewhat. Getting the fish eye lens effect from high FoV.