Consistent Shock Rifle Behavior

ES_1637ES_1637 Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 16
The Shock Rifle was one of the first weapons I found and I had a lot of fun with the "sniper" style combat it enabled. A few runs later when I happened upon a Shock Rifle II I was dismayed that the behavior was totally different, almost more like a beam weapon. Maybe there's another higher-powered sniper-style weapon later on that I've not yet encountered, but if it's not there then I'd suggest adding it!

Comments

• Yulia11Yulia11 Customer, Collector Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 84
    Yeah but just higher range should do. Or maybe sniper mode and rapid mode in the same weapon.
  • MrWoodchipMrWoodchip Common Alpha Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 53
    It's important to remember that the vast majority of weapon names are placeholders, so they'll have completely different names in the final release.
  • ROCKFISH_MarcoROCKFISH_Marco Moderator Posts: 38
    The "II" designations of the weapons do not necessarily mean that they are better. They are just variations with both advantages and disadvantages. It's just a placeholder for now.
    "Mark" designations (Mk2, Mk3, etc.) however always indicate a direct improvement.
  • ES_1637ES_1637 Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 16

The "II" designations of the weapons do not necessarily mean that they are better. They are just variations with both advantages and disadvantages. It's just a placeholder for now.
    "Mark" designations (Mk2, Mk3, etc.) however always indicate a direct improvement.

Ah, I see the distinction. Just a request for the future then, to have weapons with the same name behave consistently. From an experience perspective when I pick up a new weapon for the first time I associate the applications of that weapon with the name; gatling means rapid short range hull damage, pulse means rapid mid-range shield damage, shock means slow long range heavy hits, and so on. Pulse II and Gatling II still more or less fit the descriptions associated with their initial variants though, so Shock Rifle II being so different is a little confusing.

Also, naming conventions aside, I'd still very much like to see a "Shock Rifle I Mk2" down the line (if there isn't already one waiting that I just haven't found yet). I'm enjoying the cloak-y glass cannon approach, but around sector 3/4 the basic shock rifle stops having enough punch to justify its hunger for energy.