More exploration?

YegaYega Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 30
I would like to see more of an exploration aspect to the game. Its great finding different resources in places, looking for containers etc, but because of the alien interceptors you are forced to move on. I quite like taking in the sights of the galaxy, flying in between the meteors flying around and just having a look around, in my own time.

Also, maybe the scanner probe should just be a built in thing because having it as a disposable item limits the enjoyment of a sector as you are not as effective at finding things because of the above and then you just end up jumping in and out of sectors without really getting much. I went through a whole sector without finding any gas so couldnt make a probe until sector 3!

Comments

• WeatherManWeatherMan Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 53
    edited August 2016
    I too would really like more things to explore, I imagine when the lore/the story is added we will get more exploration. But I strongly disagree with your second statement, there's no real point to exploring at all if you can hit a button and suddenly everything in the whole sector is now clearly visible to you.

It's just not exploration when everything has a waypoint telling you exactly what/how far they are.

The current system is fine because the probes still allow you to have the ability to quickly find things you desperately need (like gas when your life support system decides to break) but still keeps that sense of exploration intact because you cannot use them every single time you visit a sector.

• CBB_5841CBB_5841 Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 2
    I understand the way interceptors should work, but I also think, you should get more time to explore.
    I'm fine with interceptors spawning after a certain amount of time to add that sense of urgency and to prevent you from farming enemies, but I hate what seems like them spawning after you do something noticeable. (They always seem to spawn very quickly when you destroy the larger alien ships)
  • YegaYega Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 30
    I guess you are right, a built in scanner would reduce the need for exploration. Maybe its ok the way it is, or maybe it should change how the scanner works - for example only showing you resources but not containers, etc.
  • XtremeXtreme Common Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 22
    mhh...most of my playthroughs are like this...jump in the sector, use a drone (in every single one of them), and grab the stuff you see in order of distance from you and kill stuff that tries to kill you.
    Havn't seen the warships for 10 runs now...well...Im jumping when I the interceptors come...no point in wasting missles/nano-bots or other stuff on them
    edited August 2016
    I think interceptors should always drop at-least 1 jump worth of fuel between them all (so killing 4/4 interceptors = 1 safe jump, provided you don't take too long and get wrecked by a cruiser).

Gives you a reason to fight interceptors and to safely escape, but it's the most risky thing you could possibly do that doesn't involve black holes.
  • SpectalysSpectalys Member, Common Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 79

I think interceptors should always drop at-least 1 jump worth of fuel between them all (so killing 4/4 interceptors = 1 safe jump, provided you don't take too long and get wrecked by a cruiser).

Gives you a reason to fight interceptors and to safely escape, but it's the most risky thing you could possibly do that doesn't involve black holes.

I do not agree, it will be too easy.

One reason to fight interceptors is : You want to scavenge all items, interceptors come, you continue to scavenge and kill them or just scanvenge with cloack.

Or

You don't have fuel, you wait interceptor to kill them and have some fuel (like Faster Than Light)
    edited August 2016
    That's the point, instead of risking extreme damage from warping every time you have no fuel fighting a squad of interceptors could give a chance to get out and not take as much punishment, provided you want to risk fighting a squad of elite ships and probably a close encounter with an enemy cruiser.

Interceptors will not drop anything but fuel, and you can't wait at all or the cruiser will destroy you as always even with a cloak, all it needs is about half a second to kill you (I know from experience).

In effect you get this:

Players can gain enough fuel for a single jump if they kill all interceptors and don't get blown up by the incoming cruiser.

Players will not be able to farm anything and constantly risk instant death from staying around too long (so warping anyway could be a good idea, although you could still easily die).
  • ChillPlayerChillPlayer Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 32
    I am for a longer spawn time on the interceptors too, especially from sector 4 and beyond onwards they mostly arrive when I just finished clearing the enemies around the signal jammer and I had to leave several mini-missions becaus of them.

Using them as a fuel source does not work either. For starters the first two ships often do not drop any fuel at all and they come in waves, first two, then more and more until a whole armada enters the system which I never succeeded to survive.

So the whole interceptor concept works against the game in my opinion, with exploration being the only motivation to go for a run right now.

And yes I am also for including the scanner as a ship part, it's more a hussle and not really a challenge to always have probes most of the times but it sucks big time if you don't have them because searching for loot without a probe and the time pressure of the intereceptors leaves many systems unexplored, players are forced to use their cloak and sneak through the system in the hopes that the next system will have gas or compounds right in front or a trader.

Personally I don't think it adds to gameplay, on the contrary its an arbitrary hurdle that takes away from gameplay. Written for recent beta after 42 runs, 101h ingame.

I am for a longer spawn time on the interceptors too, especially from sector 4 and beyond onwards they mostly arrive when I just finished clearing the enemies around the signal jammer and I had to leave several mini-missions becaus of them.

Using them as a fuel source does not work either. For starters the first two ships often do not drop any fuel at all and they come in waves, first two, then more and more until a whole armada enters the system which I never succeeded to survive.

So the whole interceptor concept works against the game in my opinion, with exploration being the only motivation to go for a run right now.

And yes I am also for including the scanner as a ship part, it's more a hussle and not really a challenge to always have probes most of the times but it sucks big time if you don't have them because searching for loot without a probe and the time pressure of the intereceptors leaves many systems unexplored, players are forced to use their cloak and sneak through the system in the hopes that the next system will have gas or compounds right in front or a trader.

Personally I don't think it adds to gameplay, on the contrary its an arbitrary hurdle that takes away from gameplay. Written for recent beta after 42 runs, 101h ingame.

Thanks for your comment. I feel the same way about the scanner, it comes to a point where you can just keep making them so why not just perma have them? And indeed, as you go further into the sectors you spend so much time allowing yourself to explore that you run out of time TO explore and you gotta jump!
  • gkarrisgkarris Member, Common Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 71
    Gonna suggest more "Game Modes" in a separate thread, but definitely an "Exploration" mode would be way cool...

Sort of like those games which you can just look around levels to get a feel for them - I recall the feature is there for Halo and Titanfall if I'm not mistaken.
    gkarris said:

Gonna suggest more "Game Modes" in a separate thread, but definitely an "Exploration" mode would be way cool...

Sort of like those games which you can just look around levels to get a feel for them - I recall the feature is there for Halo and Titanfall if I'm not mistaken.

Uh ye that's a nice idea :)