Screen Shaking

GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Posts: 1,098Moderator, Space Cat
From rewatching gameplay videos of Everspace, I've been noticing that there seems to be a lot of shaking. It appears to be triggered by certain weapons being fired, getting hit, being near explosions, and even simply activating the ship's thrusters.

I'm not sensitive to screen movement, but I'm not sure if the shaking is entirely necessary. Maybe it's simply too much shaking for me and I just need to get over it...but it still seems to be a discussion point. I feel like other elements of the game give clear indicators of things going on. For instance, the sound design does a beautiful job recognizing weapon types. So I'm unsure why the viewpoint needs to be tossed about when these certain conditions are already being met.

Don't get me wrong; there are fantastic uses for screen shaking. I could see having super low hull strength while getting hit by a powerful laser could throw a pilot around in the cockpit. But thrusters seem a tad much, especially for a game built around arcade mechanics instead of realism.

All in all, I'm curious: Will there be any way to turn off this shaking, or is a permanent addition into the game?

Comments

• DavidDavid Posts: 31Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Pro
    It looks like it's responding to being hit, hopefully we'll be able to give feedback in alpha and beta about the extent of screenshake in response to being hit and get it well balanced.

I agree being able to turn it off might be a good option to have, I don't know if Rockfish would feel it's integral enough to mean we can't turn it off or not, but again hopefully alpha and beta feedback will be taken into account.
  • ROCKFISH_MarcoROCKFISH_Marco Posts: 38Moderator
    The intensity of many of those shakes is still being tweaked, e.g. boosting may indeed have too much of an effect. I also plan to make the impact shakes dependent on whether you're suffering shield or hull hits.
    Turning them off entirely will probably be possible as they may cause motion sickness for some people when playing in VR.
  • DavidDavid Posts: 31Kickstarter Alpha Backer, Space Pro

The intensity of many of those shakes is still being tweaked, e.g. boosting may indeed have too much of an effect. I also plan to make the impact shakes dependent on whether you're suffering shield or hull hits.
    Turning them off entirely will probably be possible as they may cause motion sickness for some people when playing in VR.

Awesome, that's great to hear :)