[IMPROVEMENT] Distance to Yellow targets not clear

OddibleOddible Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Booster Posts: 20
I'm on a run, I just clear out 2 enemies, I use my probe to see what's nearby. Now I have 30 yellow pips on my screen but I can't tell which are near and which are far. I know that I just killed 2 ships so they dropped stuff but their yellow pips are lost in the sea of pips.

Not sure what a resolution to this would be. Color coding from yellow to orange as they get farther away (though orange isn't ideal since that starts to indicate danger). Putting distances on them (2.5K) would add a lot of noise to the UI - maybe a hotkey to see distances when pressed? Or a hotkey to 'show nearby'? I kept looking for a local star map - something where I could see on a plane what is close to me, that would help too.

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,317
    H, we're scaling the markers according to distance. Bigger means nearer. But apparently it's not obvious enough, so we'll probably have to increase the scaling factor
  • GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110

...we'll probably have to increase the scaling factor

@ROCKFISH_Andi , while I was one of the individuals who stated the distinction might not have been profound enough, I do feel that additional scaling might not be necessary. I think if color variations made these items more distinct, it would aid the player immensely.

Essentially, closer objects are more vibrant in their assigned color. The further they get, the smaller they get in addition to becoming more dull in that same color. I realize this means there could be a lot of grey lookalikes when far away from a lot of objects, but it might be a nice touch considering they are far out of scanning range as well.
  • WeatherManWeatherMan Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 53
    edited August 2016
    They should never become monochrome, or it may become difficult to tell what your looking at sometimes/ if it wants to kill you or not.
  • daytonadaytona Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 46
    I felt that the large circle dots were close while the arrows are far. Perhaps colour and contrast might help there.
    edited August 2016

They should never become monochrome, or it may become difficult to tell what your looking at sometimes/ if it wants to kill you or not.

The point of the monochrome suggestion is that it's so far away that it's hard to tell. Ironically, you've proven the point.
  • BB_CoolcatBB_Coolcat Common Beta Backer ES1, Space Cat Posts: 33
    My 2 cents to this:
    - Varying color by distance is not helpful in my opinion, because that makes it harder to distinguish factions (terran, outlaw, alien, neutral, ...)
    - Scaling works great, but it would work much better if all the icons used (container, ship, resource...) would use the same base size and shape.
    edited August 2016
    The varying color makes it hard to tell in a bad way. It is not meant to be hard to distinguish by the point of this suggestion.

Honestly we should never need a visible 'out of scanning range'/completely gray icon, if it can't be scanned how are we receiving this data telling us we've detected something but can't tell what it is?

It's way better to just leave it as is now and just not show unscannable objects until you are in range, we don't need an icon/waypoint for everything. (plus I also like the concept of needing to not rely on the HUD 100% of the time and looking around your cockpit)

I prefer the different bases, that way I can tell if I'm surrounded by items or other ships/containers without needing to physically turn my ship and remember what they were before needing to move around again.

Ideally I should be able to tell what/how far an object is and if it wants to kill me at a glance.

Unique and simple icons to show type, colour for faction, and scale for distance (our current system) is the best system. Just maybe make the scaling slightly more noticeable for other people? although I've never had problems with it?

Honestly we should never need a visible 'out of scanning range'/completely gray icon, if it can't be scanned how are we receiving this data telling us we've detected something but can't tell what it is?

The idea is more of greying it out so you know it's far away, but it is STILL shown on the radar. That way, the items CLOSE are much more easily spottable because they are shown in vibrant colors nearby. Then, after collecting all the colors, you can zip towards the grey (represented in their respective ship/container/resource graphic) to go examine them.
    edited August 2016
    This already exists in the game but in a better implementation, you can't see objects that are far away but they always glow orange every once and a while from any distance.

If you really look you can often spot containers in the distance, or the trail of ships, and glowing asteroids are always visible from any distance.

Ideally (to me) you shouldn't need something like what your suggesting telling you the position of everything if you just move around enough and explore more. Combat and exploration/lore seem to be the main points of this game and that kind of waypoint system would undermine the need to explore and turn it into a go here, pick up loot, fight people, leave area kind of game (no offence intended).
    edited August 2016
    I'm trying to figure out what you think my idea is.

As it stands in the game, when you get near something, it adds it to your known radar. If you go all the way across the map, it's still there.

All I'm saying is if you move super far away from something you know where it's at, it gets greyed out so as to not confuse the player with what's nearby. This way, the player knows what is very close to him by the vibrant assortment of indicators.

The idea isn't meant to hold the players hand and give them all the details of the area; that would be counter-intuitive to the explorative nature of the game. All it is meant to do is provide the player clearer information of what's nearby versus what's not.
    edited August 2016
    Whoops, I missed the detail on already detected objects and figured you meant everything.

Your idea is actually pretty good in that light now. Maybe in addition to graying out you could also increase the transparency a little bit more as well so you don't notice it unless that's what your looking for (like dead pixels), and keep only a slight tint of faction colour.

Maybe in addition to graying out you could also increase the transparency a little bit more as well so you don't notice it unless that's what your looking for (like dead pixels), and keep only a slight tint of faction colour.

That is an EXCELLENT idea!
  • OddibleOddible Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Booster Posts: 20
    I think a toggle loot button would help the noise, particularly if they were made even larger for closer. I think my original color idea isn't ideal for the reasons stated by others, that color coding should be left for different types and not for distance. When enemies show up they're Red and loot is Yellow but the yellow is still a lot of noise, the ability to toggle it off when I'm in combat would allow me to better see my combat targets.
    @Oddible , loot toggle makes a TON of sense. I'd love to have that functionality in the game, now that you mention it.
    edited August 2016
    A toggle between objects and ships would be nice, and each hides the other.

New detentions should show up for a half-second as something that grabs your attention slightly, though. (otherwise I can see people looking on the object sensor and getting ambushed by an alien frigate or something silly like that)

Should keep the everything sensor too for people who prefer it.
    edited August 2016
    Yeah I would always leave ships on - so that you see when new ships arrive or when a ship's aggression level changes due to you touching their loot, but give the ability to toggle Loot on and off. Also, I would change the color of friendly or non-aggressive ships to a color other than Yellow (so not the same color as Loot).
    edited August 2016
    The colour shouldn't be there to differentiate between type (that's what different symbols are for), it's only there for aggression.

If we have it for both it just makes a confusing rainbow HUD that's less concise than the current one.
    Well right now I have 20 yellow pips that are nearly indistinguishable. At least ships should have different icons than loot.
    edited August 2016
    They do have different icons from loot...?

All ships are diamonds, items are squares, other objects are spheres, and containers are hexagons. It's not that difficult to tell since they all align the same way.
    edited August 2016
    You know what after some more gameplay I've noticed we missed the feature that's already in game and is built to solve the problems were having.

Use left Alt to look around your cockpit before moving your ship, it takes the same amount of time it would to switch hud type/glance at the icons or whatever and doesn't need additional programming.

Sounds like I'm making a joke or something but I'm serious, if you just look around there is no need for any of the suggestions we've proposed. I've also found a lot more things I wouldn't have just by looking around more and I don't even need to use scanners at all to find things for me.