Gameplay influences and inspirations

IllegalCakeIllegalCake Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 1
First of all - it is a great pleasure to see the forum up and running. :smile: Yay!
I have seen a couple of people ask about the games Everspace could be compared to. No Man's Sky and Elite: Dangerous were usually brought up in that regard. However, one of the reasons I've backed Everspace on Kickstarter was the resemblance it bears to Freelancer, which happens to be a game I've spent hundreds of hours playing. :smile: How could I walk past Everspace then? It reminds me heavily of that game in many aspects. And that's great! Freelancer's model of flight and combat was very enjoyable, and Everspace seems to be walking the same road in that regard. That's very promising. :smile:
I felt like asking You for your input anyway, since I don't think I've ever read what inspired You to work on such a game, and it rings so many bells I don't think it can be a coincidence. :smile: Don't get me wrong, as that's the kind of resemblance I love, yet I would feel a lot calmer knowing whether I can consider Everspace Freelancer's spiritual successor or not. :smile:

Comments

• ROCKFISH_HCKROCKFISH_HCK Moderator Posts: 579
    edited February 2016
    When designing EVERSPACE we mainly had three inspirations: Freelancer, FTL and Rogue Legacy. We looked at the controls and combat feeling of Freelancer and are now mixing it with some "rogue-lite" elements.
  • Templar3lfTemplar3lf Kickstarter Beta Backer ES1, Space Dog Posts: 54
    I really like the sound of that mix, and think it's good that these are your three main inspirations. It'll be fun to see how we can compare them after release.
  • d3rr1nautd3rr1naut Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Rogue Posts: 22
    I just have to add here. I'm a big fan of rogue-lite games and that's the main reason I also was interested in this title. But no inspiration from The Binding Of Isaac? I know the combat isn't anything near the other games, but I find BOI one of the strongest rogue-lites out there.
  • WeatherstationWeatherstation Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Pro Posts: 43
    d3rr1naut said:

I just have to add here. I'm a big fan of rogue-lite games and that's the main reason I also was interested in this title. But no inspiration from The Binding Of Isaac? I know the combat isn't anything near the other games, but I find BOI one of the strongest rogue-lites out there.

I think the problem is, that BOI has a totally different genre ... like everspace is a space "shooter" and BOI is more like some kind of "minigame"
  • ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,189
    Big fan of Binding Of Isaac and we are indeed taking some inspiration from it. We might have something along the same vein of the pills in BOI: You find alien devices or consumables but don't know exactly what they'll do until you've tried out. And the effects will not always be positive... We have a couple of more ideas like that but we'll have to wait and see if they'll end up in the final game.

I think the problem is, that BOI has a totally different genre ... like everspace is a space "shooter" and BOI is more like some kind of "minigame"

I indeed understand that the genre is totally different. But I still think that it's possible to have some inspiration from the RNG elements. And I'm glad that @ROCKFISH_Andi confirmed that even something as simple as the pills from BOI can be an inspiration. I in fact kinda like it that a pill can also be negative =D.

• SHWARTSSHWARTS Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Optimizr Posts: 12
    I used to play ROAD RASH a lot, so naturally i bought ROAD REDEMPTION. every time you die, you can spend points to permanently upgrade your skills/bike. while an interesting twist, its not as rewarding as i thought it would be.

Personally the unlocks system in FTL works better for me. for example, you can see 8 ships but you can only select one, and the other 7 mention requirements.

if there is a way to blend the two together so that you can upgrade each new ship or unlock, i think it would have much greater replay value.

sorry if that pushes back the release date lol.
    ES_7876 said:

Personally the unlocks system in FTL works better for me. for example, you can see 8 ships but you can only select one, and the other 7 mention requirements.

This also once again reminds me of BOI, in the beginning you only start with one character: Isaac. You have to fulfill certain requirements for the other characters to unlock. I think that also can be perfectly implemented in Everspace.

• DavidDavid Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Pro Posts: 31
    edited February 2016
    ES_7876 said:

if there is a way to blend the two together so that you can upgrade each new ship or unlock, i think it would have much greater replay value.

I think in one of the interviews or the update videos (sorry I can't remember exactly where) it was mentioned that in previous games (GoF or GoF2 I think) they made lots of ships, but found only a few were used. So this time they are not putting the dev time into making lots of ships, but they would rather be more efficient by only making the few ships which would be used and to use the saved dev time to instead make these ships and the game better.
  • WeatherstationWeatherstation Kickstarter Alpha Backer ES1, Space Pro Posts: 43
    d3rr1naut said:

I indeed understand that the genre is totally different. But I still think that it's possible to have some inspiration from the RNG elements. And I'm glad that @ROCKFISH_Andi confirmed that even something as simple as the pills from BOI can be an inspiration. I in fact kinda like it that a pill can also be negative =D.

ok, you're right, in this way BOI would be a nice inspiration ...