Keybinding Nanobots - Pros and Cons

GiraffasaurGiraffasaur Administrator, Moderator, Space Cat Posts: 1,110
Good day ROCKFISH Games and Everspace community,

The short time I've had with the game, I've been enjoying how easily it is to dive straight into the action and becoming immersed in the experience. Through this, there are a couple instances where this immersion is broken by the necessity of an important function. Using Nanobots requires the drama of the game to come to a screeching halt by diving into the menu to select them.

What would happen if Nanobots were bound to a key to use?

In many other games, it is common for the player to have accessible healing/repairing during gameplay. Either used by an item, a keystroke or some type of command, these instances do little to break the immersion as it needs to be activated on the fly, increasing the tension.

My suggestion is this: The player may spend 1 nanobot instantaneously during flight with a keystroke like N. Hitting N multiple times stacks the queue, spending multiple nanobots at once. With the different systems, the nanobots are spent on the HULL FIRST, then spent on damaged system in an order of priority (that would need to be defined either by the player or the developers).

The Pros:
  • Immersive experience not broken
  • Accessibility
  • Simplicity
The Cons:
  • Limited to repairing one system at once
  • ...?
If it were to be implemented, the Repair Menu could still be utilized to address specific system repairs while also have a shortcut to using nanobots during gameplay.

Curious to hear others thoughts on this possible addition.

Thanks, and keep up the great work with the game.

Comments

• ROCKFISH_AndiROCKFISH_Andi Administrator Posts: 1,317
    Yes, I agree, we should probably have a key binding for "use nanobot on hull". Not so sure about the component damage, though. I'll discuss it on Monday with the rest of the team.
  • SpectalysSpectalys Member, Common Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 79
    Good idea Giraffasaur:

Why not a Key to use Nanobots and a key to change/cycle between Ships part (Hull, sensor, etc...)
  • krettkrett Member, Common Beta Backer ES1 Posts: 26
    Spectalys said:

Good idea Giraffasaur:

Why not a Key to use Nanobots and a key to change/cycle between Ships part (Hull, sensor, etc...)

nah, i think that would be too much. There is a Menu for a reason. One hotkey for Hullrepair, that'd be nice.
  • SigmaSigma Common Beta Backer ES1, Customer Posts: 40
    Spectalys said:

Good idea Giraffasaur:

I feel like the nano kit already accomplishes that nicely.